SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased and installed (mounted) the Genuine Volvo Fork Mount Bicycle Carrier OE OEM 31428130 on the Volvo t-bar load bars on my XC60. Not unexpectedly, the only thing holding the bike is a strap around the rear wheel and the fork lock.

I'm a bit concerned because I plan to transport two bikes, 700+ miles through the smokey mountains and want to make sure the bikes are securely mounted with no risk of falling over. I plan extended test drives around my neighborhood to gain some confidence.

Does anyone have experience or feed back using the same configuration on their XC70?

Thx

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't bicycle a lot, and have no experience with that particular model or car, but have used fork mount carriers. I just borrowed a neighbor's Thule carrier, which looks like an older version of this (I believe Thule makes Volvo carriers). They tend to be quite secure. The bicycle is surprisingly stable after the fork lock is installed. I moderate my driving to avoid tweaking anything, especially around corners. I've found the following two things are really all that matters.
1) Resist the urge to add any additional "security" like bungee cords or ratcheting tie-downs around the frame. You'll just ruin the paint on your bike.
2) Don't forget about the bikes when pulling into parking garages, drive throughs, etc.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't forget about the bikes when pulling into parking garages, drive throughs, etc.[/QUOTE]

The setup is a little less than 9' so hopefully I'll be ok.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts