SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased and installed (mounted) the Genuine Volvo XC60 Fork Mount Bicycle Carrier OE OEM 31428130 on the Volvo t-bar load bars on my XC60. Not unexpectedly, the only thing holding the bike is a strap around the rear wheel and the fork lock.

I'm a bit concerned because I plan to transport two bikes, 700+ miles through the smokey mountains and want to make sure the bikes are securely mounted with no risk of falling over. I plan extended test drives around my neighborhood to gain some confidence.

Does anyone have experience or feed back using the same configuration?

thx

·
Registered
390 Posts
You'll be fine, I've used fork mount racks for years now on lightweight road bikes and mountain bikes with no problems. They're a lot more stable than down tube mounts.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'd be more concerned about getting the bikes up and down on a XC60. I'm 6'-2" and I figured that a roof rack wasn't practical. Went with a Thule receiver hitch rack.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It wasn't too bad getting the bike up there...I'm 6'2" as well. I'd go with the hitch but that config will run well over $500 for two bikes and I just don't plan to use it that often. I may regret it through...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I used that system for 3 years on my c30 with carbon road bikes. I never had any issues and found it much more stable then the tube mount system.

·
Registered
390 Posts
While down tube mounts are not as stable as the fork mount racks, I've been up to 120mph with a bike up on one without a problem. That was ages ago and I'm much more mature now.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I also prefer fork-mounted to the down-tube mount but for the XC60 would rather have hitch mounted rack due to the height. Just be mindful and careful going through drive-thrus and back into your garage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts