SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Does anyone have a roof top box installed on their Volvo? The Volvo one linked below is kind of expensive. Does anyone recommend another non-Volvo brand they’ve had success with or is better to not cheap out and get the OEM Volvo box? Thank you.

Edit* looks like I need crossbars also. Links to everything needed to get setup would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Volvo crossbars are reasonably priced. But I wouldn't get the roofbox.
Thule makes fantastic gear. While I haven't bought a roofbox from them, I have bought bike racks and other travel gear from them and it's solid. Their website confirms the fit for your car. You could get a similar roof box for half the price.

·
Registered
22.5 XC90 Recharge Inscription Expression ER Denim Blue
99 Posts
Agree the Volvo crossbars are a good deal, esp when on sale. They are Thules. We got the Odin roof box - also Volvo branded but make by Thule! Even came with Thule keys lol. Very easy to put on, quiet, no drop in MPG, and very functional. We love it! If you are in the DC area, Darcar seem to have the best pricing.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agree the Volvo crossbars are a good deal, esp when on sale. They are Thules. We got the Odin roof box - also Volvo branded but make by Thule! Even came with Thule keys lol. Very easy to put on, quiet, no drop in MPG, and very functional. We love it! If you are in the DC area, Darcar seem to have the best pricing.

Thank you. Was checking out the Odin tonight actually. The thing is we have limited space in our garage and the hard top ones are large. Soft top I’m not as crazy about but they break down pretty nicely. Have to measure if I can fit the Odin on the upper shelving tomorrow.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm using the Volvo crossbars with my old Volvo roofbox from the 1st gen XC90. My old Volvo roofbox was made by Thule. Same as the other poster, I got the spare keys for it from Thule.

No reason to get the Volvo branded roof box. I see no advantage except for the Volvo badge on the sides of the box :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have Thule XT on my V90. Very well built. Amazon Roof bars which are great!……99.00!

·
Registered
2022 XC90 T6
17 Posts
Made the dealer throw in new Volvo roof bars when we purchased our new XC90 3 mo ago. Using our old Thule we've had for 5yr and it works well.

·
Registered
2021 XC90
5 Posts
Agree that Volvo roof bars are the way to go. Very reasonably priced and no wind noise. We bought the factory roof bars for our Jeep Grand Cherokee and they whistle like crazy on the freeway. Volvo ones are nice and quiet...don't even know they're there. We have a Thule 625 Force XL roof box and it's been great. For storage I have a roof box ceiling hoist from Store Your Board to put it up on the ceiling when we're not using. Link here.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to throw a curveball but we actually need to go with a soft top carrier because of space restrictions in our garage. I am having the Volvo cross bars put on in the next week or so and started researching soft top carriers. They seem very reasonably priced but I would like actual testimonials as Amazon is infamous for fake inflated reviews. Need something that is weatherproof so items don’t get wet, secure and reliable.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Sorry to throw a curveball but we actually need to go with a soft top carrier because of space restrictions in our garage. I am having the Volvo cross bars put on in the next week or so and started researching soft top carriers. They seem very reasonably priced but I would like actual testimonials as Amazon is infamous for fake inflated reviews. Need something that is weatherproof so items don’t get wet, secure and reliable.
Whole different kettle of fish. I didn't even consider a soft carrier, every once in a while I see one but like 2 out of a 100.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agree that Volvo roof bars are the way to go. Very reasonably priced and no wind noise. We bought the factory roof bars for our Jeep Grand Cherokee and they whistle like crazy on the freeway. Volvo ones are nice and quiet...don't even know they're there. We have a Thule 625 Force XL roof box and it's been great. For storage I have a roof box ceiling hoist from Store Your Board to put it up on the ceiling when we're not using. Link here.
Thank you for posting this. Could be a game changer and allow us to get the hardtop which is the preference.

·
Registered
XC90 T8
182 Posts
I have a roof basket and weatherproof soft carrier and love the combo. I find it much easier to store vs the roof box and more flexible in terms of what you can put in it because it’s not rigid.

I used this setup for a few years on my X5 and now use it on my XC90. It has survived torrential downpours both while driving and overnight, never a leak.

Basket: https://www.autozone.com/tie-down-a...r/p/reese-roof-top-luggage-carrier/698933_0_0

Bag: https://a.co/d/7nJkv3a

I haven’t taken a photo of it on the Volvo but here it is on my old BMW filled with lots of off shaped things on our way to the beach.

Automotive bicycle rack Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire

Reactions: 21XC90Recharge

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you'll be using it with any level of frequency, I'd suggest a cargo box is much more practical for use compared to a bag, particularly for organizing and accessing stuff. The other option if you have a hitch, is a hitch-mount cargo carrier/platform, and many of those come with bag style cover to secure and protect your cargo. But for rooftop options, a cargo box will give you the best practicality. As mentioned above, there are quite a few ways to store the boxes on a wall or with a ceiling hoist, which will take minimal space in the garage. I've owned a few Thule cargo boxes (Thule and BMW branded), and now the Volvo Premium OEM box as well. I will say, the Volvo box is considerably better quality than any of my prior boxes. But the main thing is to look at the dimensions to make sure the box will accommodate your needs. For example, the Premium box is longer than Odin or many other Thule models (for skis, etc.), but it's also lower profile and less overall cubic feet cargo capacity.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’ve been a Thule roof box and bars user since I first got my 2016 XC90. Super easy to put bars and box on before a trip. Also easy to take off after you’ve loaded up the car and realize you don’t need it this trip!

I too have limited garage space and solved it with this kayak hanger system. Loop the straps underneath the box and hoist it up. In case you think I have some high ceilings, I don’t. I probably end up with 6”-12” clearance above the car and can’t drive in/out with box mounted. It purely gets it up and out of the way.

Hope that helps.

RAD Sportz Kayak Hoist, Overhead Pulley System with 125 lb Capacity for Kayak, Canoe, Bike, or Ladder Storage https://a.co/d/j5wfFtf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
‘19 t6 inscription silver/brown w/air, b&w, lux, polestar, 21’s, etc
589 Posts
Some good info in this thread. We may have to add a roof basket w/bag eventually when the hitch box isn’t enough for trips. If you haven’t considered a hitch box, it’s another great way to get extra storage, but without the noise and mpg penalty. I wasn’t a big fan of the tilting Thule Transporter, but was lucky enough to find an older Thule Terrapin, which swings out of the way to access cargo. Another great option is the swinging hitch cargo box from Stowaway2. Here’s what the Terrapin looks like on our xc

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car Sky

Car Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
511 Posts
In my state, you CANNOT block your license plate, many people have received tickets if plate isn’t visible…..this includes bicycles on carriers and of course the oh so cool? tinted license plate covers. Front plates are a must as well. I certainly understand the concern of LEO in not being able to run a plate. Any of these rear hitch carriers also cause an issue being able to get into rear door as they are blocked.Thule box on V90 CC
Wheel Sky Vehicle Tire Land vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Reactions: 21XC90Recharge

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've got a Volvo box that I got at an incredible discount and even lucked into free shipping. it's the first box I've ever owned so I can't really compare to others but I can not imagine having paid full retail for it versus the comparable Thule or some other box. I did have some specific requirements that it fit well - I was taking the Amtrak auto train and could only add about 6" max to my overall height, the Volvo box fit that and very few others would.

About the Volvo box specifically - the silver bits are plastic, not aluminum and I've had them bend and brake at speed form the wind. I literally have them glued in place now. And while it does have an interior light, it uses velcro stickies to stay attached to the inside roof and, at least in the Florida heat, just don't. Again, at it's retail price - hell, even at seep discount - I would have expected better but it is what it is.

On the positive, it really holds more than you'd think if you plan your storage well. And, while I initially planned to take it on/off as needed, I've just left it on ever since and like the look. #CargoBoxLife

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
‘19 t6 inscription silver/brown w/air, b&w, lux, polestar, 21’s, etc
589 Posts
In my state, you CANNOT block your license plate, many people have received tickets if plate isn’t visible…..this includes bicycles on carriers and of course the oh so cool? tinted license plate covers. Front plates are a must as well. I certainly understand the concern of LEO in not being able to run a plate. Any of these rear hitch carriers also cause an issue being able to get into rear door as they are blocked.Thule box on V90 CC View attachment 163603
View attachment 163602
lol the hitch box has an LP mount as well as Lp light…picture was just taken while test fitting at purchase. Also, rear hatch opens with carrier in place with a couple inches clearance

1 - 20 of 34 Posts