SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am driving a XC90 D5 Momentum in Thailand. I left the car in my carport for a few weeks during a trip abroad. Upon my return I found that rodents, rats probably, have nibbled at some plastic parts under the hood, luckily nothing essential. Dose anyone have some experience of such rodent behaviour and any suggestions on how to avoid it?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I am driving a XC90 D5 Momentum in Thailand. I left the car in my carport for a few weeks during a trip abroad. Upon my return I found that rodents, rats probably, have nibbled at some plastic parts under the hood, luckily nothing essential. Dose anyone have some experience of such rodent behaviour and any suggestions on how to avoid it?
I certainly have. Early in 2018, I noticed some damage on a couple of the small diameter hard plastic tubing lines, that ran on one side on the engine compartment of our 2012 XC70. I thought it had just rubbed against the hood reinforcement. I took it in to the dealership, and they called me back with the good news. They were a little reluctant at first to tell me I might have rats in my garage. I told them, yes, we're aware, the pest control people are fighting them in our crawlspace. "Well...", he says, "looks like they got to your car." :rolleyes:

They had chewed a transmission coolant line, a power steering line, an A/C hose, the windshield washer tank... :facepalm: A lot of the stuff was the kind of thing where it was a few dollars in parts, but several hundred in "Remove & Replace". It ultimately took two trips to the dealer, to find everything. Fortunately, Comprehensive covers this, so it cost my insurance company (and myself for the deductible) somewhere around $3500 total to repair :( It could have been worse. If they had gotten into the wiring, it would have been a disaster.

How to avoid the problem? I really don't know, other than to insure that the rodents physically cannot reach the car. I've heard everything from pepper spray to flakes of Irish Spring soap as a repellent.
I don't think anything stops them if they're determined and they can get to what they want. The pest control folks seemed to think that they were looking for liquid in my car, any kind of liquid. I don't know how you prevent that kind of activity.

A friend of mine had the wiring harness chewed on his 2016 Outback. Apparently Subaru was making them with a wrap of soybean-based material. Critters loved it. His insurance had to replace a $1500 harness.
They told him Subaru now uses a capsaicin-infused wrap for wiring.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Only solution I've seen is taking care of the rodent problem. Cars have many delicious plastic and fabric parts. Think I'm kidding, check this one

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your feed-back.
I discovered in the meantime that our second car, a Mazda 2, has suffered much more severe damage from the rodents. A lot of insulation and some water conduits are gone.
It is reassuring to see that our Volvo had very little damage in comparison, maybe the plastic is more resistant.
Fortunately it is all covered by insurance, and doesn't affect the usage of the cars.
I purchased some sticky mouse traps to care care of the rodents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts