SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow morning, I'll be bringing my S60RD to the dealership for ANOTHER rock caught between the dust shield and the brakes.

The noise is pretty grating. Sounds a bit like nails on a chalkboard....well.....50 nails on a chalkboard. Turns heads when I drive down the street.

Anyone else have this problem? More to the point - has the problem repeated itself for you and did you ever get a permanent fix?

I'm a little loathe to keep bringing my car in to the dealership every 7k miles to extract a rock from the left front brake assembly, especially after the warranty expires. If so, I may need to grab a Chilton for the S60 and learn how to disassemble the @#%$ brakes on my own.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That happened to my 2013 S60 RD last Christmas. How can I ever forget that sound! Turned heads for all the wrong reasons...luckily it hasn't happened to me again. Perhaps taking the whole rotor guard off would be the best way to go?

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,293 Posts

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Happened two or three times, both times fixed itself in about a mile or two.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Why wouldn't you just pull the wheel and remove the rock yourself instead of driving around with it making noise?

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Wouldn't you have to remove the rotors as well?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hasn't happened my my S60 yet, but happened twice on my WRX I immediately stopped and reversed slowly and it dislodged both times. Go back out the way it came in!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I was able to clear a stone by reaching under the car and "twanging" the dust shield. Only need to shift is a few mm.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I was able to clear a stone by reaching under the car and "twanging" the dust shield. Only need to shift is a few mm.
This would probably work in most cases. I raised the car, removed the tire and tapped around the shield, then the piece of loose asphalt dropped out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts