SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just returned from our first overnight (3 nights) road trip in the T8 fully loaded with a roof box. I'm very happy with the results. We were 4 adults and 2 children with the 18 cu. ft. cargo box filled with 3-days of clothing, bedding sheets for the cabin's 3 beds, and 4 outdoor camping chairs. The interior cargo was filled to the top of the seatbacks with an ice cooler and other heavier items like personal electronics, flashlights, and portable batteries for 6 people and a 25ft 30Amp RV cable.

We rented a cabin in the woods and didn't know what to expect in terms of charging opportunities so I packed the RV extension cable along with various adapters that I'd be able to use just in case to connect the T8's charging cable. Luckily, when we arrived I found a 120v outlet outside the cabin that was easily within reach of the vehicle.

We've had our Thule Evolution 1800 cargo box for over 12 years now and have used it on a variety of vehicles. On the XC90 it was great because it felt very solid and stable even at 80+ mpg. There was a slight increase in wind noise at freeway speeds, but it was hardly noticeable unless you were really listening for it because the increased road noise at that speed tended to hide it, especially when we were listening to music or having a conversation.

Here are the fuel consumption statistics from the VOC app for the entire trip from Vancouver, Canada to Mount Veron, WA.

Total Distance: 409 km (254 miles)
Average Fuel Consumption: 7.2L/100km (32.7 mpg)
Auto Pilot cruising speed on freeway: 75 mpg (peaking 80+mph at times).

Driving Mode: Pure. On freeway cruising: Pure + Hold Battery. Power Mode used several times in certain situations.
Driving Gear: D. Gear B used only while slowing or going downhill.

Despite being heavily loaded, the fuel consumption was good because we were able to charge every night. I also found a ChargePoint station that I used once while we ate lunch.

I've attached some pictures from the trip below.

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pictures

Additional pictures....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
That was some awesome fuel consumption there despite the load.

Because you recharged on your way to the cabin and you recharged every night, we would have liked to see consumption figures where you only charged once, I.e., charged only when you left home and never recharged again till you returned, and had to rely on regeneration only.

Those are realistic consumption figures some of us who regularly do long distances want to compare our figures against.

Ideally, based on your total distance covered, you should not have refueled because it was within the normal fuel tank range.

But it's good that you spent only about half a tank of fuel throughout your overnight trip

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Thanks for sharing this adventure story, pix, and T8 data - it keeps the excitement up while waiting for delivery!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
With 120V power source, how long does it take to fully charge the car from an empty battery?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With 120V power source, how long does it take to fully charge the car from an empty battery?
It's usually about 8 hours. Good for overnight if you don't have to go out again. I'm hoping to install an L2 at home in the future so that I can take advantage of the battery when I need to go out in the evening.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for sharing this adventure story, pix, and T8 data - it keeps the excitement up while waiting for delivery!
I hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine 😎!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
It's usually about 8 hours. Good for overnight if you don't have to go out again. I'm hoping to install an L2 at home in the future so that I can take advantage of the battery when I need to go out in the evening.
Using our ChargePoint at home it'll top up in under 2.25hrs and if I deplete to low during the day at work I can juice up in about 6hrs which is fine most of the time as I can just leave it in the parking garage plugged into a 120v outlet. Then again I have the 9.2kWh battery so I'm only replenishing 6.7kWh vs. your 8 :(.

It's super convenient being able to top up quickly - I highly recommend the ChargePoint especially if you have the option to use their public EVSE - gives you a total view. Plus I find their public EVSE far more convenient to use than the alternatives like Blink, EVgo, SemaCharge (even less convenient than EVgo especially when they're buried in a parking garage and you don't have cell access/range to be able to activate - who thinks of that!). ChargePoint's ApplePay tap and go is just right - the others seem to make you go through hoops via their app to "remotely" start the session even with accounts setup. Volta is by far the easiest - just free juicing, nothing required - plug in and go!

When I need faster charging I find an open ChargePoint on campus.

·
Registered
254 Posts
We recently had a long road trip. T8 with 2 adults, 2 children. Low profile roof box (mostly for dirty clothes, shoes, 2x50ft 12 guage extension cord, level 1 evse). We charged maybe 6 or 7 times over the course of 3000 miles. Travel speed was between 0 and 10mph over speed limit, but not usually more than 75mph. I think that we spent a lot of time at 72. Our actual MPG ranged from 26.5 to 30. The car reported MPG was 29.5, actual MPG was 28.3.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I highly recommend the ChargePoint especially if you have the option to use their public EVSE - gives you a total view. Plus I find their public EVSE far more convenient to use than the alternatives
ChargePoint at home is my number 1 choice. Out in the public, I find their stations to be the most reliable. Out here, it seems like we are in the wild, Wild West of what you can find for EV charging. A lot require you to have separate apps and accounts to access and many have defective hardware. It's almost like anything goes. I'll be happy when the time comes that there is more uniform consistency throughout the area.

Our actual MPG ranged from 26.5 to 30. The car reported MPG was 29.5, actual MPG was 28.3.
That's pretty good for going that distance. I suspect my numbers would be similar to yours in that situation. One of the things I love about the XC90 is what a relaxing environment it is to be in. I leave the car feeling refreshed even after several hours of driving ?.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just got back from a 350mi trim from Chicago to northern Michigan and average approx 25-26mpg. My car was on Pure setting with Hold activated. Cruising speed was approx 80 with pilot assist ON about 90 percent of the trip. Seriously this feature is one of the best things about this car. I can’t imagine doing long drives without it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.