SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm taking my Amazon on its first proper road trip soon. Driving from Seattle to Sacramento for Thanksgiving with my girlfriend's family. I know this kind of thread has popped up before, but I want to make absolutely sure I don't forget about anything.

So far, I have:

• Toolkit (socket set, wrenches, screwdrivers)
  • Jack (an actual mini trolley jack, not the OE bottle jack)
  • 12v powered air compressor
  • Bottle of fix-a-flat
  • Patch kit
  • Distributor cap & rotor (no need for spare points since I have a 123 dizzy)
  • Jump leads
  • Fuses galore
  • Electrical tape
  • Spare v-belt
  • 3qt Castrol 20W50 oil
  • Coolant
  • Multimeter
  • Different lengths of hose in different gauges
  • 5 gallon gas can
  • Set of spark plugs

Anything else I might have forgotten? I know I probably need to get tyre chains since Grant's Pass could be tricky in late November.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Phone numbers of reliable Volvo shops along the way? A car charger for your cell phone? AAA?

Just in case all of the above is not enough.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have AAA but I have roadside assistance through my insurance (Geico), which basically amounts to the same thing.
Car charger for cellphone is a given. I've got an inverter too, just in case I need to break out the laptop.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anything else? I'm really afraid I'll have forgotten something super important when I"m in the middle of some forest in Oregon lol.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't know what sort of condition your Amazon is in; however, alot of this may be unnecessary. Gas can? If you're not comfortable with your gas gauge, stop more frequently for fill up initally and then adjust based on usage. Various and sorted items for a flat? Tires today are pretty darn reliable. Spare coolant?

If you're a bit nervous about the long trip, I think the earlier suggestion of pre-locating some Volvo shops along the route might make the most sense. That and the Geico service similar to AAA. Also, you might want to break the trip down into smaller chunks and inspect the car closely each afternoon after driving.

Just some thoughts, no pressure. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The gas can is just a precaution. It's not that I don't trust my gas gauge, but if it happens to fail at some point and I run out of gas, I like having the security of knowing I'll have enough to at least get me to the closest gas station. I know tyres are pretty reliable, but you never know when you're gonna run over a screw or something sharp in the middle of the road. Yes, spare coolant - even with new hoses and basically a new cooling system all together, I still prefer to have some on me - just in case. I also carry a bottle of brake fluid in my little tool kit and it came in rather handy yesterday when I found a massive leak right under my master cylinder and the car refused to shift in the middle of traffic. Sure, it didn't fix the leak, but it got enough fluid in the system for me to be able to get some pressure in there and safely drive it home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts