SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my xc49. One of the big things I was looking for in my car was really low road noise. I test drove the xc40, twice, and thought it was reasonable. Yes, there was some, but it wasn't bad. Seemed better than all the other brand cars I test drove.

Now that I have my car and am spending more time in it, I feel I've made a mistake. I really love everything about the xc40, except, it has significant, really bad, road noise.

What's my best move here? The xc40 I got came with 20" wheels. Thinking the one I test drove had 19". Could this be the source? Should I some how trade down the wheels? I've also googled sound deadening material. I think installing this is over my capabilities, but could pay someone. Bummed out to have to spend a significant amount more on a brand new car, but I had intended to keep this car for a long time, so if one or both of these things will make me happier, I suppose it's worth it. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Tire pressure is one thing can be helpful. Pump to the recommended psi, 2psi higher at best for quiet ride. 19" wheel is better than 20". Tire model also varies.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I was a bit concerned with the 20" wheels on ours; but we are pretty pleased with the road noise.
Heck, I would have gone with 18" wheels if it had been an easy swap. Rubber and air are much more compliant than metal.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Step 1 is to drop to 18s with a quiet tire. Look at TireRack for tests and reviews. Pirelli P7 Cinturatos Plus 2’s are a great choice. You’ll also have a significant ride improvement.

If that doesn’t satisfy you then look into sound deadening. The front doors and and hatch area make the biggest difference.

I’ve done both steps on three vehicles.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I recently traded my 2019 XC40 R-Design with 20" wheels for a 2021 XC40 R-Design with 18" wheels. The noise difference, and ride quality, are night and day. Granted I went from having 60,000 miles on my 2019 to a brand new 2021, but it is very noticeable how quiet the ride now is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright. Thanks everyone. I'll check the pressure, but sounds like I'm likely replacing the wheels and tires. Anyone have suggestions of where to shop wheels? Might as well pick out something I like the look of. Also,where will the best place be to try to sell the current ones and at least recoup some of the money?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I recently traded my 2019 XC40 R-Design with 20" wheels for a 2021 XC40 R-Design with 18" wheels. The noise difference, and ride quality, are night and day. Granted I went from having 60,000 miles on my 2019 to a brand new 2021, but it is very noticeable how quiet the ride now is.
How did you get 18"? Configurator only shows 19/20/21

·
Registered
99 Posts
How did you get 18"? Configurator only shows 19/20/21
You are 100% correct sir, I have 19". Sorry for the misinformation. Noticing reduced noise and ride quality going from 20" to 19" wheels might simply be due to the newer car factor.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Alright. Thanks everyone. I'll check the pressure, but sounds like I'm likely replacing the wheels and tires. Anyone have suggestions of where to shop wheels? Might as well pick out something I like the look of. Also,where will the best place be to try to sell the current ones and at least recoup some of the money?
Discount Tire has plenty of options, as does Tire Rack.
Hate to see you lose $$$ on the swap; but maybe selling here on Swedespeed can get you some money back. Might be a lease turn-in out there that needs some fresh wheels/rubber to pass "inspection".

I might be looking for wheels/tires for our C70; but I doubt your 20s will work ;) (Wouldn't that be something???)

·
Registered
17 Posts
On my 2019, I run 19" summer tires most of the year and road noise is very, very low. I ride 18" snow tires during the winter and I think it's noticeably louder, but I've still had passengers in the winter comment on how quiet it was.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There are plenty of wheel resellers online that sell OEM wheels. Santa Anna Wheel is good. Hubcap Haven.

For another vehicle I got takeoffs from Santa Anna. They were used for less than 1,000 miles. Most people don’t want smaller wheels so they should be relatively easy to find.

·
Registered
2020 XC-40 Inscription Thunder Gray
13 Posts
Judging by your handle PDX, I am ASSUMING you are in Portland, OR. That is where I am, have 19 inch wheels (wanted 18s), and also think the road noise is a bit much. However, I know our roads here are noisy in OR and WA (have had family from out of state make the comment more than once), and have noticed quieter sections of roads- same speed, the pavement type changes and is softer, then goes back to the predominate surface and gets louder. The road noise was almost a deal breaker for us, but other cars were not demonstrably quieter, so we stuck with it, and are very much enjoying the car. Gives me an excuse to blast my music :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Judging by your handle PDX, I am ASSUMING you are in Portland, OR. That is where I am, have 19 inch wheels (wanted 18s), and also think the road noise is a bit much. However, I know our roads here are noisy in OR and WA (have had family from out of state make the comment more than once), and have noticed quieter sections of roads- same speed, the pavement type changes and is softer, then goes back to the predominate surface and gets louder. The road noise was almost a deal breaker for us, but other cars were not demonstrably quieter, so we stuck with it, and are very much enjoying the car. Gives me an excuse to blast my music :)
Yea, the problem is 26, but I spend a lot of time on 26. Agree that all the other cars I test drove this time seemed similar or worse than the xc40, however, my last car, 2018 VW Tiguan, was actually really quiet. Like the new car so much better except the noise!!

The tires were over inflated. I deflated them to the correct level and it did help a bit. I'm still leaning towards putting in some sound deadening, but haven't gotten around to doing anything yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my xc49. One of the big things I was looking for in my car was really low road noise. I test drove the xc40, twice, and thought it was reasonable. Yes, there was some, but it wasn't bad. Seemed better than all the other brand cars I test drove.

Now that I have my car and am spending more time in it, I feel I've made a mistake. I really love everything about the xc40, except, it has significant, really bad, road noise.

What's my best move here? The xc40 I got came with 20" wheels. Thinking the one I test drove had 19". Could this be the source? Should I some how trade down the wheels? I've also googled sound deadening material. I think installing this is over my capabilities, but could pay someone. Bummed out to have to spend a significant amount more on a brand new car, but I had intended to keep this car for a long time, so if one or both of these things will make me happier, I suppose it's worth it. Any other ideas?
Did yoh get noise sorted i had same problem on 19 inch tyres
Put lots of sound deadening material on boot floor and was definately improvement.
Getting guys from noisekiller in Oldham to to the rest.
When you change tyres take a look at vredestein contact 5 or 6 really quiet tyres i find
Hope it helps

·
Registered
61 Posts
I find SUV/CUV will have road noise and the rear tire wells are exposed to the back storage area. Sedans are usually quieter since her 4 wheels re more isolated from the passenger compartment. Extreme measures would be dynamat some of the interior wheel areas and door panels. Then a good grand touring tire can help.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Did you sort out riad noise. I have same car with 19 inch continental tyres and riad noise on anything but new tarmac road is awful . I'm having ti change it everything else is greT but cant cope with the noise

1 - 17 of 17 Posts