SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just picked up a 2012 S60 T5 FWD. The car came with the Michelin Primacy MXM4 17". I was wondering what others thought about what sounds like excensive tire/road noise betwee 35-60 MPH? The tires have about 350-400 miles on them but I was wondering if others thought the same thing when first driving the car for an extended period of time. Did the noise go away? Get worse? Thoughts?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have the same car and tire setup. The road noise seems to my ears about right for an all season 17" tire. It did get a little bit quieter as the tires settled in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just picked up the same car with same tires. Noticin some kind off odd noise around 40mph and 70mph. Not sure if it is road noise...kind of like a drone or humming sound that actually vibrates the inside of my ear. Noticed it first at 70mph, but now even at lower speeds. It comes and goes. Is this the noise you are describing? Have you contacted your dealer? I'm
Wondering if it is the tires or something worse.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Check the reviews on The Tire Rack.

·
Registered
950 Posts
What can one learn from reading the reviews on tire rack about this "problem"?
Differentiate a "tire" problem from a "platform" problem by seeing if other drivers with the same tire are similarly unhappy. You don't mention whether your tires are run flats or "HX" MXM4's but those seem to be OEM on other cars and other drivers have complained about noise. My S60 has NO run flats or BLIS and has the Touring suspension and I have zero noise problems.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You don't mention whether your tires are run flats or "HX" MXM4's but those seem to be OEM on other cars and other drivers have complained about noise. My S60 has NO run flats or BLIS and has the Touring suspension and I have zero noise problems.
Good advice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Went to the dealer today regarding the low pitched drone on my new S60. Went for a drive with a service tech. He said the sound is normal on the S60 and is from te lower profile tires and tighter suspension. I'm pretty sure he heard the same noise I hear. I'm
glad it is nothing bad, however, the noise is really annoying.

Does anyone else hear it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the conti-pro contacts in the 18" configuration, and they are by far the quietest tire I have owned in recent memory...to reduce the road noise of the tire, you may want to make sure your tires are not over inflated since that will cause the tires to make more noise than usual

·
Registered
29 Posts
Still hearing terrible noise on my 2012 S60 T5. I have a feeling it is the Michelin Promacy tires. At 65mph the noise hurts the eardrums--a loud whine/hum.

What are the chances my dealer would replace the tires with the quieter Continetals? I have had Contis before on 3 VWs and never had a problem. The car had just over 1000, so the Michelins are still quite new. If they won't replace them, is it worth seeing if the dealer will swap tires with one of their demo cars?

I just can't take the noise anymore and am not about to shell out $800 on a set of new tires for I car I just paid $35K+ for a month ago.

Any advice?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The Primacy MXM4 that came with the car are pretty quiet. In fact, the car overall is pretty quiet. Yes it's not as quiet as the Hyundai Sonata, but whatever man. It's way quieter than our S70.

It's a bit louder now in the winter, probably due to the Hankook W409 iPike tires, and hardening rubber.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts