SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Although it's nice to be recognized, usually these articles just lead to a bunch of unsuspecting dorks buying up all the cheap Rs and then coming here to complain when their collar gear shears instantly as they launch it at a red light on a Saturday night.

Sorry, can't help but be cynical. The article is right though, the R and VR especially, are awesome sleeper cars. Which is probably one of the reasons most of us have one.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Yep. The R is now cheap enough for young idiots to own... Trust me I know (I am one). Go to any of the R facebook pages. It's just 20 year olds whining about the cost of owning an R and how they want a CAI and a K&N air filter while their 4C doesn't even work... It's just sad how poorly informed people are about owning an R. It's not cheap. It's only reasonable if you do 1 of 2 things... Buy the car with everything working for a decent price, or buy the car with nothing working for a low price and fix it. Either way you're dropping some dough on a very niche sports car that no one will recognize.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I didn't realize that owning a nice sports car was supposed to be about recognition, but then again I know I'm not like most other sports car owners, lol.

That being said, I rather not be in a car that is highly recognized due to all the usual baggage that goes with it. Just think about porsche and BMW for examples of those stereotypes. Volvo at least has a stereotype that will at least help one avoid undue police harassment, lol.

The plus side of the status is that it keeps people interested in the cars, which helps drive the aftermarket for them and help keep replacement parts costs down. The really foolish people that buy them will also send more to the dismantlers earlier on which also helps the used parts market as well for those of us who try to keep our old Rs going.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
296hp? I know Volvo's claimed 300hp was probably optimistic, but I've never seen 296hp quoted anywhere...

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
I like the incognito of the R... Some people think it's an STi made in Sweden though... I like that it is possible to do things in an R that wouldn't fly in a Porsche or BMW

·
Registered
525 Posts
That road&track list is about the ugliest list ever created. Cant erase the ugly. Scarred forever now, thanks man!:D

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
At least we're not to WRX Bro status yet.

Where taking a stock WRX and putting an exhaust and slamming it so low the awd is useless on $200 Chinese coil overs is "hella modded."

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
manual gearbox, AWD, hot rod station wagons rule.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I saw this as well. I was going to mention but you beat me to it. The Syclone was pretty cool but they are not cheap!!! The other one is the SS full size chevy. All of them were cool...well except for the Mercedes.

Matt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts