SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While driving to my family's house in rural Iowa on Christmas eve, my mom hit a deer with our trusty old XC90. No one was injured, and cosmetically the car wasn't too bad, but engine damage+ the exterior damage totaled it. Thankfully we were only a couple of minutes away, so we were able to drive to the house until it we could get it towed (it sounded awful getting there). My mom bought it brand new in 2005, it has always ran strong and has taken us cross country on many vacations as kids, it recently hit 170k miles. Thankfully we weren't driving one of our S60's, or the results could have potentially been a lot worse. I don't think this is fit for the Volvo saved my life topic, but I thought some people might find it interesting. RIP XC90, and thanks for many good memories.

Right after hitting it pulled over on the side of the road (you can see the antifreeze leak)

Pics from the next day in daylight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. I don't see totaling it though. What happened to the engine?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear about that. I don't see totaling it though. What happened to the engine?
Never opened the hood but definitely the radiator is done for. Hasn't been inspected by the insurance company yet, but they and a friend who is an insurance claims guy say it's likely totaled. Exterior wise I'd say it needs a new headlight, hood, bumper?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry you lost your car. :( From the pictures, it really doesn't look bad. Did you guys overheat the engine by continuing to drive it?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I bet there's still life in it if you're willing to to pay the price, which I'm guessing you're not. Good to see everyone is ok.

On the S60, I think it still would have been fine.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bet there's still life in it if you're willing to to pay the price, which I'm guessing you're not. Good to see everyone is ok.

On the S60, I think it still would have been fine.
Yeah. I don't think our insurance is willing to pay the price is the issue. If we were in the S60 I think it would have taken a lot more damage and possibly shattered the windshield

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Have fun with a replacement....glad no one was hurt!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts