SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My V70 decided it would go out on its own terms today. As a result I haven't had much time to research "newer" models. Right now I have the option of snagging a local 06 with 120K in the $4900 range or a dealer 09 with 87K dealer maintained in the $10,900 range (though I am sure to get them down a bit).

Are there any vast differences in the 06's versus 09's? Are there better years I should be looking at? I would like to keep the purchase to around 10K. I definitely prefer the wagons. I know nothing about the stuff post 03/04. This is all foreign territory to me. My 03 V70 was a warrior and I just wonder how the later stuff compare.

Anyway, I appreciate any help you can provide. You guys have far more knowledge in this area than I do.

·
Registered
13,496 Posts
The '06 that you are looking at is the same generation (P2) as your departed '03 so will feel very familiar to you. Starting with '08 the V70 and XC70 were totally redesigned so would be pretty different than your '03. You really need to drive both and decide. I don't know that the '09 is worth over twice value of the '06 but that's for you to decide. Both generations of the cars you're looking at have their fans. Check out kbb.com for prices. I always shoot for wholesale value when I'm buying.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The '06 that you are looking at is the same generation (P2) as your departed '03 so will feel very familiar to you. Starting with '08 the V70 and XC70 were totally redesigned so would be pretty different than your '03. You really need to drive both and decide. I don't know that the '09 is worth over twice value of the '06 but that's for you to decide. Both generations of the cars you're looking at have their fans. Check out kbb.com for prices. I always shoot for wholesale value when I'm buying.
Thanks Wayne. Feel of car is less important than reliability. I wasn't sure if there were any big red flags between the years. I heard rumors about bad ball joints or something in the 08's.

And I agree, I am not sure if the extra 5K is worth 30K more miles or not. I guess if the 09's had radically diff upgrades like the blind spot assistance, etc than maybe. I don't need a ton of bells and whistles, just safety and reliability.

·
Registered
13,496 Posts
Some folks have commented that the throttle response on the first couple of years ('08 and '09) of the P3 generation of the XC70 was a little sluggish but I haven't driven one. Make sure that you get service records for the car and have it gone through by a mechanic to make sure you're not looking at any unexpected repairs out of the gate.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I recently went from an '06 V70 to a '13 XC70. The major redesign (P3) came out in 2008. I would call it a style and engine redesign.

There are 2 choices of engine, "3.2 (naturally aspirated) vs. "T6" (3.0 turbo). I strongly suggest you test drive each one before deciding.
Then, there is choice on the 3.2s between AWD and FWD.

The XC70 has about 4" more ground clearance compared to V70s, and a smoother ride due to greater tire cushioning. You're up higher, and night driving is better thanks to oncoming headlights not so stingy.

Buy one with good windshield condition....because of the camera coupled thru the windshield, replacing it is really expensive. When I bought my 2013 T6 from a Volvo dealer, the windshield had a bullseye crack -- I negotiated a new windshield as part of the sale. The camera has to be recalibrated -- not for Safelight Replace!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, I had hope to pull the trigger on an 09 in NJ w/ 177K for $9500. It had a stellar repair and maintenance history, but it sold a few hours before I came across the ad. I ended up grabbing the 09 I mentioned above from a Volvo dealership in NH. They dropped the price to $9500 to match the one in NJ. Given the distance I could not take it to my mechanic, but they have a pretty solid reputation. It's been dealer maintained and is up to date on everything so I am hoping for the best. I pick it up on Saturday. It's a pretty major upgrade from my 03. Hopefully it is as reliable.

·
Registered
186 Posts
As an owner of a 01 V70 and a 09 XC70, the 09 XC70 is a far better vehicle to drive. My 01 V70 is about to be pensioned off to the crusher as it's going to cost too much to repair it, considering where it is and the new windscreen alone is nearly what I paid for the car. The only pita I have found is that the fuel pump on the 09 XC70 requires full tank removal, where as the 01 V70 you can access it under the rear seat.

·
Registered
421 Posts
As an owner of a 01 V70 and a 09 XC70, the 09 XC70 is a far better vehicle to drive. My 01 V70 is about to be pensioned off to the crusher as it's going to cost too much to repair it, considering where it is and the new windscreen alone is nearly what I paid for the car. The only pita I have found is that the fuel pump on the 09 XC70 requires full tank removal, where as the 01 V70 you can access it under the rear seat.
I looked up the fuel pump for your 2009 model on FCP Euro, and it's the pump style that hangs down inside the fuel tank from a 10cm portal. It's hard to believe that Volvo eliminated the access plate under the rear seat going from P2 to P3 body. Especially considering the expense of removing the fuel tank on an AWD.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I looked up the fuel pump for your 2009 model on FCP Euro, and it's the pump style that hangs down inside the fuel tank from a 10cm portal. It's hard to believe that Volvo eliminated the access plate under the rear seat going from P2 to P3 body. Especially considering the expense of removing the fuel tank on an AWD.

Am I missing something?
There is access panels under both sides of the rear seat, they just stupidly do not line up with the pump assy! Been there done that! Having been in the automotive trade for 38 years, I refuse to pay anyone for things I can do myself, the nearest dealer is around 120 miles away.

·
Registered
421 Posts
There is access panels under both sides of the rear seat, they just stupidly do not line up with the pump assy! Been there done that! Having been in the automotive trade for 38 years, I refuse to pay anyone for things I can do myself, the nearest dealer is around 120 miles away.
Sounds like an engineering error...hope it got fixed in subsequent model years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts