SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dream car, which I just bought this summer, is probably totaled after the accident we were in Saturday night.

I bought this car in July, immaculate, no accidents, no dings or scratches, and only 144k miles on it. It was the car I've been wanting since 1998, and I'd been seriously shopping for one for over two years. This was going to be my 'forever' car. And I am not ashamed to admit I've been crying over losing her since the accident.

We were side swiped by a MBZ E-class which was going 30+mph while we were stopped at a red light. Our guess is that the driver accidentally had her foot on the accelerator instead of the brake, since after she was deflected off our our car, she rear-ended a stretch limo, and her rear wheels were spinning and burning rubber until a by-stander got her to unlock her door and they took her foot off the pedal.

The first point of impact was on the passenger side of the rear bumper, and the front passenger wheel was the final point of contact (and the reason the car will probably be totaled; it was knocked off). The most visible damage was a long gouging scrape the length of the passenger side of the car. The deepest point of impact was just behind the C pillar, and the Volvo did its job, deflecting that energy away from the cabin and keeping the front end of the MBZ from entering the cabin and pushing the front passenger seat into the dashboard.

We were really surprised that the damage to our Volvo didn't look significantly worse. The degree of visible damage seemed incongruent with the impact, velocity and sound of the collision. I was expecting to see the doors torn open, and the car bent and collapsed in the middle.

After the initial shock abated, I realized this magnificent car is why my husband and I were able to stand there, looking at it with disbelief and wonder. We were imagining what it would look like on any other car--a violent, twisted and torn mass of metal and seats.

I am already searching for a replacement. I'm grateful that my entire family is Volvo drivers, and I will be behind the wheel of my next V70 as soon as possible. So while I cry over the loss of this car, I'm not crying because of loss of life. Whew...

Me: 98 V70 T5, soon to be replaced :thumbup:
Husband: 03 V40
Father: 05 V50 T5 AWD and 13 C30
Mother: 01 V70 T5
Sister: 08 V70

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
You need to post this to the "Volvo saved my life" web page.

·
Official VCNA Account
66 Posts
vspady,

We're so sorry to hear about the loss of your prized Volvo. While it's definitely unfortunate that you no longer have your car, it's more important that the car did its job! We're happy to hear that you are safe and sound.

We hope you're able to find your next Volvo soon!

In the mean time, please submit your story to our Volvo Saved My Life club. http://www.volvocars.com/us/top/community/clubs/volvo-saved-my-life/pages/default.aspx

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
My dream car, which I just bought this summer, is probably totaled after the accident we were in Saturday night.

I bought this car in July, immaculate, no accidents, no dings or scratches, and only 144k miles on it. It was the car I've been wanting since 1998, and I'd been seriously shopping for one for over two years. This was going to be my 'forever' car. And I am not ashamed to admit I've been crying over losing her since the accident.

We were side swiped by a MBZ E-class which was going 30+mph while we were stopped at a red light. Our guess is that the driver accidentally had her foot on the accelerator instead of the brake, since after she was deflected off our our car, she rear-ended a stretch limo, and her rear wheels were spinning and burning rubber until a by-stander got her to unlock her door and they took her foot off the pedal.

The first point of impact was on the passenger side of the rear bumper, and the front passenger wheel was the final point of contact (and the reason the car will probably be totaled; it was knocked off). The most visible damage was a long gouging scrape the length of the passenger side of the car. The deepest point of impact was just behind the C pillar, and the Volvo did its job, deflecting that energy away from the cabin and keeping the front end of the MBZ from entering the cabin and pushing the front passenger seat into the dashboard.

We were really surprised that the damage to our Volvo didn't look significantly worse. The degree of visible damage seemed incongruent with the impact, velocity and sound of the collision. I was expecting to see the doors torn open, and the car bent and collapsed in the middle.

After the initial shock abated, I realized this magnificent car is why my husband and I were able to stand there, looking at it with disbelief and wonder. We were imagining what it would look like on any other car--a violent, twisted and torn mass of metal and seats.

I am already searching for a replacement. I'm grateful that my entire family is Volvo drivers, and I will be behind the wheel of my next V70 as soon as possible. So while I cry over the loss of this car, I'm not crying because of loss of life. Whew...

Me: 98 V70 T5, soon to be replaced :thumbup:
Husband: 03 V40
Father: 05 V50 T5 AWD and 13 C30
Mother: 01 V70 T5
Sister: 08 V70
Very sorry to hear that, especially since you were so attached to your car. :( Then again, better the loss of a car then the loss of a family member or yourself. Who knows, maybe you'll find another "forever car" shortly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GREAT NEWS! the insurance company is going to pay to fix my wagon! it totally paid off to meet the adjuster and explain that it's a specialty vehicle, and when i told him about trying to replace it, and showed off how immaculate it was... well, it isn't up to him what the valuation is, but he put all my details into his notes, and they authorized the repair. yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

ok, i can breathe again.

·
Banned
182 Posts
GREAT NEWS! the insurance company is going to pay to fix my wagon! it totally paid off to meet the adjuster and explain that it's a specialty vehicle, and when i told him about trying to replace it, and showed off how immaculate it was... well, it isn't up to him what the valuation is, but he put all my details into his notes, and they authorized the repair. yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

ok, i can breathe again.
Good for you! Where will the shop get the new parts from?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts