SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was always unhappy with the nearly useless stock foglights and was not satisfied with simply upgrading the bulbs since I view the lens/housing/reflector as the ultimate issue. I had the idea of retrofitting some projectors there as a nebulous plan, when I saw s3w2s1's thread about the Rigid Dually D2's. After seeing how compact the housings are I was inspired to go this route instead.

I decided to get the regular Duallys, not the D2's s3w2s1 went with. So, mine are half as powerful (as well as half as expensive--$184 delivered to my door). Used to be the fogs looked yellowish because of the headlights, looks like I will need to get 5-6K headlight bulbs now to match the fogs.

Didn't take any pics of the install, but it was sooo simple I didn't have to. Pull off the bumper, pulled off the fog light/bracket ass'y (two torx screws). Two more torx screws and the fog light is separated from the factory bracket. One 3/8" drill hole right in between the existing holes, bolt on the Dually with the supplied carriage bolt, reinstall the bracket to the car. The Dually bracket is slotted which makes the drill hole placement not critical. As far as wiring, there is about a two foot section of wire with a plug on both ends that goes between the car and the fog light. This made it easy to remove from the car & solder the Dually weatherpac connectors in place of the factory plug at the factory fog light. Thus, now the Duallys are simply in place of the factory fogs. Power draw is 15W, current draw is 1A so the 7.5W fuses for the factory lights are more than enough.

Okay, enough blather, here are some pics:

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
how do they luminate at night though? I heard leds are terrible for that. I have 55w HIDs for my fogs and they work so much better than stock.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Those look pretty sick - especially for LED lighting - Any Night time shots?

I wonder if there is any way for you to put back or add a lens so it looks more like stock?
(also for protection from rocks etc...)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No night time shots yet; will have to see about that. But let me tell you I am no photographer--not really good at it, don't know how to set white balance, etc. I know just enough to know I'm not so hot at it.

As fogs they are great, I forgot to mention I got the floods. I was hemming and hawing between white spots (as driving lights), or white or amber floods. Since they are mounted like seven inches above the pavement I'm not sure what to expect in terms of actually lighting up the roadway, versus objects in the roadway (which they do pretty well right now). I still have some aiming work to do, as well as seeing about getting them better centered in the fog light holes.

Definitely not super happy about the squareness, as well as the mismatch between the contours (see the gap in the angled shot). As far as protection, these don't need any. They are made for off road use and are pretty stout--the lens is lexan, and the housings can support quite a bit of impact. Lots of Raptor/Jeep/etc guys use these. Raw light output of these Duallys is 1300 lumens per unit; the Dually D2's which are the same size but have 6 LEDs (and cost about ~$380 a pair) is 2600 lumens each.

All in all I am happy with the mod. Would prefer a higher mounting point but what can you do. The only other place I can think of would be to gut the DRL portion of the headlight & put it there, but aiming would be even trickier and I don't want to disassemble my headlights.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
damnit guys I don't want friggin sharks with friggin laser beams attached to their head on the front of my car, I want lights that are so bright they either just kill the person from brightness, or bright enough to make them forget they're driving.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
damnit guys I don't want friggin sharks with friggin laser beams attached to their head on the front of my car, I want lights that are so bright they either just kill the person from brightness, or bright enough to make them forget they're driving.
That looks great man. Hopefully they aren't aimed too high up so you don't burn our the oncoming traffic's retnas. :p

BTW, laser headlights are almost here.
BMW's leaser headlight prototype.

·
Premium Member
10,799 Posts
That looks great man. Hopefully they aren't aimed too high up so you don't burn our the oncoming traffic's retnas. :p

BTW, laser headlights are almost here.
BMW's leaser headlight prototype.
You and your vast and unlimited supply of knowledge both useful and useless lol :p

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I usually don't drive with the fogs on in traffic (since the stock ones were useless in this regard) but I will do some aiming and verify that they are not too much for oncoming traffic. Now that I have these I will mostly use them as floods in my very dark subdivision where people like to wear dark clothes & walk their dogs in the middle of the street, before dawn and after dusk. Interested in trying them in fog too though I will probably have them aimed too high for that because of the flood duty.

Well not to be a shill for Rigid but they do have a light bar that puts out just under 20,000 raw lumens. Unfortunately its 50" wide, costs like $1,600 and would be highly illegal on the street...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They have all kinds of sizes/styles of lights, check their website (Rigid Industries). I just posted the biggest one because I wasn't sure if you were being serious :) Anyways I didn't see anything that would integrate better than Duallys or D2's but I could have overlooked something...

Not sure if its against forum rules to post a link since they don't advertize here, but it comes up on google.

·
Registered
598 Posts
So how hot do those lights get 377Z? Could you fab up a circular piece to fill the gap you have between the lights and the fog light grill? Or would it melt from the heat of the light unit? If such an approach is practical, you wouldnt even be able to tell they are square; they would look at lot more finished. Props for doing this though. I still think I'm going to put a couple of D2's behind the grill. Or maybe one of their high powered light bars....

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I just want circular lights to replace my fogs that are over 2k lumens each
Such a thing could exist, I just didn't spend too much time looking. A 3" round should fit, pretty sure you might even get a 4" round by trimming the fog light grille opening. There are a bunch of mftrs of high power LED lights, I liked these because they are really compact, come in white or amber, spot, flood, or diffused, have lenses to focus each LED, are rugged, and though I am not a lighting officianado I like that they don't just address raw output but useful beam (though it took me some googling to bone up on what 'lux' means to me, etc), plus I see nearly everyone is pleased with them. They will remain in my possession if/when the car is sold since they are pretty versatile.

But there could be better ones out there, YMMV. I have done no comparison with products from Hella, VisionX, etc. Lots of options out there...

Or, you could just put a set of HID projectors there. The stock fogs are fairly large, odds are fitment wouldn't be an issue.

So how hot do those lights get 377Z? Could you fab up a circular piece to fill the gap you have between the lights and the fog light grill? Or would it melt from the heat of the light unit? If such an approach is practical, you wouldnt even be able to tell they are square; they would look at lot more finished. Props for doing this though. I still think I'm going to put a couple of D2's behind the grill. Or maybe one of their high powered light bars....
Actually haven't gone out to touch them after having them on for a good period of time, I should do that. But my gut feel is at 15W these lights won't be as hot as the 35W stockers. I could make a 'template' circular piece from a 2.5" or 3" PVC pipe, but for now it doesn't really bother me much. Definitely would be cool to install like a 10" bar or similar behind the grille though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts