SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks:
2019 XC90 no air suspension with 21" wheels.
Ride is good from 1-10 I would say 8
However on certain roads especially small cement cracks, hearing kind of clunky humming noise, (hard to describe) not sure if it is tires or something else, or it is normal.
Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Got the same setup...was warned by the dealer that ride would suffer. Think they were trying to upsell me air suspension. Overall it fine but can get a bit rough. Haven’t heard any humming but I do get some vibrations at 15-20mph when accelerating.

Got the extended warranty and mx plan so I just turn up the radio and mash the gas.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I am leaning towards the tires. But could be wrong. I didn't know about the air suspension before i bought in. Can you add these afterwards?

Got the same setup...was warned by the dealer that ride would suffer. Think they were trying to upsell me air suspension. Overall it fine but can get a bit rough. Haven’t heard any humming but I do get some vibrations at 15-20mph when accelerating.

Got the extended warranty and mx plan so I just turn up the radio and mash the gas.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Folks:
2019 XC90 no air suspension with 21" wheels.
Ride is good from 1-10 I would say 8
However on certain roads especially small cement cracks, hearing kind of clunky humming noise, (hard to describe) not sure if it is tires or something else, or it is normal.
Anyone experience this?
I know I am not really answering your question here. I have Air Suspension on my XC90, and I have test driven both with and without on the same road with a couple of pot holes and a tiny speed bump, and the difference was noticeable. I drive on potholes and uneven roads everyday and I don’t feel much compared to other cars (non-Volvo).

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ya I am leaning towards the tires. But could be wrong. I didn't know about the air suspension before i bought in. Can you add these afterwards?
Yes, but not at any reasonable effort or cost. Be best to trade up for vehicle with air.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I recently had a service loaner that was a non-air suspension Inscription with 21" wheels. I thought it cornered really well but noticed over small bumps and pavement gaps it was very choppy and noisy compared to my XC90 with air suspension. Nature of the beast I guess. I suppose you could try different tires, or go down to 20" wheels. The stock Pirellis are not the greatest tires. I recently went to Continental DWS 06's and the ride improvement over the stock Pirelli's is remarkable.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
How many miles?
Is the noise speed dependent? RPM dependent? Does it happen on turns? Do bumps change it?

How's your tire pressure?

Can you tell if it is front or rear? Left or right?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
800 miles
I don't think it is speed dependent or RPM dependent.
not on turns, only on going on little bumps (not all bumps) and sometimes I hear it, sometimes I don't. If it is a smooth road, I don't hear it.
Do the supercharger or turbo make any noise? (little humming too).
Tire pressure is good 38
I am wondering if it could be the tires just broke in. As I did not notice the sound when the car had few miles on it.

Again it is not annoying but would be nice if it was not there...
Any tools could help diagnose where the sound is coming from?

How many miles?
Is the noise speed dependent? RPM dependent? Does it happen on turns? Do bumps change it?

How's your tire pressure?

Can you tell if it is front or rear? Left or right?

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Do you know how long the car sat before you bought it? I've seen some where the car sits a long time before sale and the tires develop flat spots. It sounds like it is going to be pretty hard to diagnose over the internet though. When I suspect flat spots I try to find another car with the same size time and tires in stock and swap them to see if the noise goes away.

If it flat spots, they might get better after some mileage.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tech:

thanks it did not sit long.
I will keep an ear on it and see if it goes away...
What would you suggest I tell the dealer to check if I go for service check?

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
It sounds like it'll be tough for them to pinpoint. I'd suggest asking to go for a ride with a tech or the foreman so you can point out the noise you're talking about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts