SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

I tested the normal S60 T6 with 17" wheels and the ride was fine and comfortable. Also, I tested the XC60 T6 with 18" (Not sure) and surprisingly the ride was harsh and not that comfortable.

Now the questions is:

Is there a significant difference between the normal S60 T6 and the R-Design at the ride quality stage, I mean Is the R-Design harsh on the road( as the XC60) as you can feel every bump.

The bad thing with my local agency is they don't have a R-Design test drive, so I posted this to get your feedback.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
hi guys,

I tested the normal S60 T6 with 17" wheels and the ride was fine and comfortable. Also, I tested the XC60 T6 with 18" (Not sure) and surprisingly the ride was harsh and not that comfortable.

Now the questions is:

Is there a significant difference between the normal S60 T6 and the R-Design at the ride quality stage, I mean Is the R-Design harsh on the road( as the XC60) as you can feel every bump.

The bad thing with my local agency is they don't have a R-Design test drive, so I posted this to get your feedback.

Thanks.
By no means would I say the R-Design rides harsh, it's definitely stiff suspension and behaves more flat in curves; it seems to gobble up bumps fairly well compared to my old S60R. If you want a nice balance, you should probably look at getting a T6 with 4C chassis which will allow you to dial in Comfort setting, but also Sport or Advanced for those nicer roads.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
There are several options for the suspension on S60s:

T5: Touring(standard), Dynamic (optional cost)
T6: Touring (no cost, I think), Dynamic (standard with T6), 4C (optional, hard to find)
T6 RD: One suspension offered, not sure if it has a name.

The RD is supposed to be about 10% stiffer and has a 15mm lower height then the Dynamic suspension.
I have driven an RD and did not find it much stiffer then my T6 with Dynamic suspension. So if you can find
one with 18 wheels and the Dynamic suspension it should be close to the RD.

P.S. Its "RD" not "R" :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Unless you're a purist, ordering a T6 with 4C and later adding the Polestar tune + R Design accoutrement would be the best of both worlds.

I'm sure there are reasons why the R Design has the suspension that it does and it probably does improve the handling. I also think that most of us would be hard pressed to notice any substantial difference between the two.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The R-Design is a little firmer, but is certainly not harsh by any means. It's actually pretty well damped. I honestly thought it was going to be much firmer than it actually is.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I find it to be firm but not harsh. The amazing seats go a long way in making it more tolerable than you think.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Unless you're a purist, ordering a T6 with 4C and later adding the Polestar tune + R Design accoutrement would be the best of both worlds.
I agree. You could also shop for a 2011 (cars.com lists 60 new ones) at a possible better price.
With a software update from the dealer you get the Sport mode (and other then that, I think the 2011
and 2012 are pretty much the same car). So add the tune and you're off to the stop-light races.

I took a quick look at cars.com and even saw a couple 2011's with the hard to find 4C (although one
had 2100 miles and the other was a demo car with 190 miles).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to read that the T6 RD is not much stiffer than the normal T6. Unfortunately, my local agency doesn't provide the polestar tuning. And I need to build my own RD and order it from Sweden, since they are not selling it here. and I might be the only and 1st person who is having the s60 RD. Now, I'm a little bit puzzled either to order the BLIS, sunroof or not. the BLIS is $1000 extra and sunroof is $800.

·
Registered
459 Posts
BLIS works well in dry weather and gives you that extra safety margin that may prevent an accident in the rare instance that you don't see another car in a blind spot. It's not a "must have", but it is an insurance policy of a sort. The sunroof is personal opinion ... I like it and it doesn't compromise head room at all. Some here have had issues with water leaks, but that's not typical.

The ride on my R-D is certainly firm and can seem harsh over really bad surfaces. Having said that, I recently drove both a fairly new BMW 3 series and a Honda Civic over rough roads and they felt no smoother than the S60. I guess if the roads are bad, the ride is going to feel rough. Over moderately poor roads, the car is very composed and has enough suspension compliance to keep the car well planted. The tires are loud, so you may hear quite a bit of thumping on very coarse or broken surfaces. The standard S60 is a bit softer, but not that much. Overall, it's a firm ride, but still comfortable over all but the very worst road surfaces.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks saholz. I might go with the sunroof and the passenger power seat only.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts