SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read some of the threads about the RICA ECU upgrade and recently talked to Eurosport about the upgrade. Coming from the Audi after market $2200 for ecu tuning seems pretty expensive. Are there any other options or potential tuners that will have alternate tunes? Is anyone Stateside actually running this upgrade? Eurosport has not installed it on any Polestars and I wondered if anyone had purchased and installed from another vendor.

Second question, Has anyone seen dyno, acceleration data or track times for the RICA ecu with a downpipe upgrade (Ferrita)? I have seen reported numbers of ~400HP and 417 ft/lbs but don't know exactly where these numbers are coming from.

Thanks guys

AC

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I have read some of the threads about the RICA ECU upgrade and recently talked to Eurosport about the upgrade. Coming from the Audi after market $2200 for ecu tuning seems pretty expensive. Are there any other options or potential tuners that will have alternate tunes? Is anyone Stateside actually running this upgrade? Eurosport has not installed it on any Polestars and I wondered if anyone had purchased and installed from another vendor.

Second question, Has anyone seen dyno, acceleration data or track times for the RICA ecu with a downpipe upgrade (Ferrita)? I have seen reported numbers of ~400HP and 417 ft/lbs but don't know exactly where these numbers are coming from.

Thanks guys

AC
We haven't seen any reports of anyone Stateside or otherwise putting any tune on their P* that I am aware of. kskpsu was the first to do any performance mod(Ferrita DP) that I am aware of. Anyone else hear any different? I have seen the RICA thread but never saw anything beyond that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that is one of the problems with a limited edition vehicle. No one wants to spend R&D money on such a small market. Come on Polestar, come out with an upgraded tune for the downpipe!!!

AC

·
Registered
135 Posts
I believe polestar already has it tuned for DP. Volvo just put on a very restrictive DP probably because it was too loud. But they never De-tuned it. That is why the numbers (20whp) are so outrageously high with Feritta DP, never seen a car produce so much power with a DP. Usually 12hp at the crank. Plus it's abvious no one puts a bigger turbo and intercooler to gain 25hp that be silly.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I believe polestar already has it tuned for DP. Volvo just put on a very restrictive DP probably because it was too loud. But they never De-tuned it. That is why the numbers (20whp) are so outrageously high with Feritta DP, never seen a car produce so much power with a DP. Usually 12hp at the crank. Plus it's abvious no one puts a bigger turbo and intercooler to gain 25hp that be silly.
The Feritta DP wasn't used because it would fail emissions in multiple states in the US. It was originally part of the setup from what I heard.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I tend to agree with this, as well as P50's comment about emissions...it will definitely fail "sniff" emissions tests. JMn, if you want to grab some seat time in my car, the board might like to hear your perspective on sound. Won't be an exact science since sound is subjective, and you don't have a baseline perspective...but coming from an F80 M3, comparing and contrasting the two could be interesting.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The Feritta DP wasn't used because it would fail emissions in multiple states in the US. It was originally part of the setup from what I heard.
I don't think it was specifically that it would fail emissions in some states. The mandate from Volvo to Polestar was that fuel economy and emissions had to be the same as the RD. I haven't seen anything showing that it would fail some tests, or what the increase in emissions is over the standard DP. Until there is some data, it's a little premature to say that it will fail anything other than a visual inspection.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don't think it was specifically that it would fail emissions in some states. The mandate from Volvo to Polestar was that fuel economy and emissions had to be the same as the RD. I haven't seen anything showing that it would fail some tests, or what the increase in emissions is over the standard DP. Until there is some data, it's a little premature to say that it will fail anything other than a visual inspection.
You should smell my garage after startup or idle.....;)

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
P* is not going to give a specific reason for not using the DP. Their response "There are numerous changes that can be made to a car on different areas to change/increase performance. We have chosen this level/configuration that we have found to be optimal for the car, taking in various factors such as drivability, emissions, safety, cost, etc."

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
one word, emissions.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
I wanted to post this here to get some P* owner thoughts on what Jeffrey Bell has done with his XC60 T6 with the Polestar turbo.

He is getting some very good results by bolting on a Polestar turbo and intercooler to his XC60 T6 with the 325hp Polestar tune. ( thread on Facebook ) 320whp with 364 ft/lbs of torque. With a 20% drivetrain loss estimate, crank HP would be about 380hp, well above the stock P* numbers.

Does anyone have dyno results from a P* S/V60?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I wanted to post this here to get some P* owner thoughts on what Jeffrey Bell has done with his XC60 T6 with the Polestar turbo.

He is getting some very good results by bolting on a Polestar turbo and intercooler to his XC60 T6 with the 325hp Polestar tune. ( thread on Facebook ) 320whp with 364 ft/lbs of torque. With a 20% drivetrain loss estimate, crank HP would be about 380hp, well above the stock P* numbers.

Does anyone have dyno results from a P* S/V60?

Yup, and these numbers don't add up. They seem overly optimistic. From the Performance Tuesday thread (Baseline is before the Ferrita DP went on)...

These things are directional...I am not a tuner, I am not here to debate the merit, I am only a guinea pig for the community. I did the best I could for a controlled environment...same day, same machine, same conditions. The attached is corrected power at the wheels.

Jeffrey came on the forum a few days ago on this thread, http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?229404-Who-sold-their-wheels/page4, but I haven't seen a response to how he got such higher numbers.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Dynos vary as do their calibrations. Hopefully Jeff can get a Polestar on the same dyno for a better comparison.

Polestar: 297/358 (stock)
XC60: 302/363 (using the larger Polestar turbo with 325hp tune)
Polestar: 317/391 (using Ferrita downpipe)

Applying a 20% drivetrain loss would put the stock P* around ~370hp (297whp). Forgot about that thread! I'll revisit.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Regarding emission testing, it depends on what you mean by a "sniff" test. For those states which have a simple tailpipe test at idle and at 2,500 rpm in Park/Neutral, it should not be an issue as those tests are run with the engine at operating temp. For those states with a dyno test, I would guess it would be more hit or miss with the aftermarket downpipe. It has one less catalyst which is likely required to fulfill emission requirements on a full blown FTP/CVS emissions dyno test. Best way to optimize a good result would be to ensure that the engine is fully warmed up prior to any sniff test.

·
Registered
337 Posts
chris is absolutly corect,

dynos vary a lot, even if they ever calibrate them, height above sea level, outside temps, and if they input corection factors into the dyno,

you will be amazed what tricks they use on 1000+ hp supra's and gtr's to flub numbers around,

still impresive though

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
He is claiming 443 hp at the crank! That's the number I am having a hard time wrapping my head around. I get that different dyno's give different numbers but this is so far off from kskpsu's results that something is up. He also has the 325hp tune, not the full P* tune according to Chris (I can't see his FB thread). I'm interested to see what is really going on.

Max Torque = 363.74 hp to the wheels and 443.76 hp at the crank. Now adding a Viva 3.5" Performance Downpipe in a couple of weeks and getting a RICA ECU upgrade once I reflash the ECU to stock (Delete the P* upgrade) and get the codes to them for the upgrade.
Edit: Looks like he mixed up hp and tq

·
Registered
571 Posts
1/4 mile time slips have no fudge factor.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
1/4 mile time slips have no fudge factor.
They do have a lot of variables still (Reaction time, track temp, tire condition, vehicle weight, etc.). Does the FB thread talk about any Suspension or Brake mods? I hope he added something to stop that hefty beast and help it turn. We all know the true fun of the P* is not how it goes in a straight line, it's how it handles the twisties.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts