SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started a few threads here with isolated problems I've been working on, but think it's time to step back and give some context to the project. About 2 months ago I bought a '71 142E sight unseen. I owned a '70 142S for years and know the cars well, but haven't touched one in nearly 30 years. All the '71 E's seem to be Gold Metallic, and this car is no exception, but it really looks awful with multiple repaints that are now badly faded. Based on its looks, I've dubbed the car the Swedish Turd.

I bought it from the original owner and the car lived its life in CA so it's 95% rust free, but it's got about 330k miles on it. No problem - mechanical stuff is easy to fix. It's a turd, but hopefully not for long.

Stage 1 of it's rehabilitation involved flat-bedding it to a shop in Santa Rosa to get it running, and possibly suitable for driving back east where I live. It needed a fuel pump (the first challenge) and a bunch of new fuel lines. The water pump was leaking , so that was replaced, and I had them replace all the ignition parts to get the car to a reasonable starting point.

After this work was done, I flew out to CA with hopes of driving the car back, but that lasted for about a day. My first two test drives resulting in the car dead on the side of the road. It all came back to a totally worn out distributor which fortunately the shop had a used spare in good shape. Then the brake booster started leaking and I decided the trend was likely to continue, so I arranged to truck the car back east hopped on a plane home.

I thought finding a fuel pump was a challenge until I tried to find a brake booster. But I found a suitable replacement (not original) and that problem is fixed. Now the car is back at Santa's Workshop (my shop) and I just started doing a suspension rebuild. The front end was totally shot - shot in a way I've never seen before. The steering was binding due to seized up ball joints, and everything clunked and groaned on every bump and turn. The bottom ball joints were about to separate, one of the tie rods was about to pop, and the control arm bushings are down to metal on metal in some places.

Today I got one side of the front end rebuilt. New bushings top and bottom, new ball joints top and bottom, and new shocks. Tomorrow I'll dig into the other side. Then from there it will be on to the rear end bushings.

I can't wait to have this thing driving like it should..... Now if only I can find a source for a stock exhaust system.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pictures of the car. It's remarkably straight and rust free which is the most important thing to me. With a fresh coat of paint and a little work on the seats, I think it will clean up very nicely.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And here are a few shots of the front end work. Wow, was it cooked. The lower ball joints were close to separating on both sides, and a couple of the bushings were down to metal on metal. When I was in CA to inspect the car after buying it I was shocked to learn the CA has no car inspection. They test for emissions only, and there are otherwise no inspection requirements fro car. I know Florida has no inspections, but that's not a surprise. But CA - land of laws and regulations? Who woulda thunk?

Anyway, here are a few snaps.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The suspension and steering are all done! What a difference. The car actually goes where you steer it and doesn't clunk and groan with every twist and turn. But each thing fixed uncovers one new thing for the list. While replacing the brake shoes I found the caliper dust boots were all dried out and cracking on the front calipers. The calipers are otherwise able to move freely, but considering the cost of rebuilt calipers (pretty cheap) I think I'll just replace them. And the same for the rears where I found the caliper seized on one side. So it's rebuilt calipers all around. The good news is that the rotors are in great shape with lots of meat left on them.

So the next wave of work with the calipers and an exhaust system. After that, I should have a pretty sound car mechanically - at least as long as I double-clutch and ignore the bad 4th gear synchro - but that's a project for the winter......

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If you still have the old brake hoses you will do yourself a favor getting new ones, NOT OEM!! The hose is so small that it swells shut adjacent to the fittings and makes an effective check valve so the brakes stop you OK but won't let go and drag, bluing your disks and wearing out your pads, not to mention drying out the rubber boots on the calipers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you still have the old brake hoses you will do yourself a favor getting new ones, NOT OEM!! The hose is so small that it swells shut adjacent to the fittings and makes an effective check valve so the brakes stop you OK but won't let go and drag, bluing your disks and wearing out your pads, not to mention drying out the rubber boots on the calipers.
Brake hoes were one of the first things replaced for exactly the reason your state. I learned that one on some old Mercedes that I have. Same problem, same cause, same solution.

The good part is that rebuilt brake calipers appear to be readily available for very reasonable prices (about $50 each). At that price it's not worth screwing around with replacing dust cups - I'll just swap the whole calipers and be done with it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New calipers and most of the exhaust parts that I need are on their way. I found a number of places that said they had the calipers but when I went to order they didn't. But I finally tracked them down at RockAuto. The exhaust is coming from Swedish Auto Parts. Hopefully their inventory is being reported correctly and they actually have the parts. The only thing that I would like to replace where it wasn't clear that they had it is the front muffler. Time will tell. All other sources that I tried didn't actually have the parts, including Napa. Some places had one piece or another, but rarely more than one of the 4 key pieces. I have my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
¿How many times have I heard that song? Sure we got it!! Uh, er, we thought it was in the warehouse at Sikeston, MO, but they can't turn it up!! No, THEY won't let us backorder it.... (no idea who THEY is)

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
¿How many times have I heard that song? Sure we got it!! Uh, er, we thought it was in the warehouse at Sikeston, MO, but they can't turn it up!! No, THEY won't let us backorder it.... (no idea who THEY is)
Th^t !z pVn1sh^^enT f04 bE|iev!nG tH3 c0^^PVte4!

George Dill

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I heard back from Swedish Auto Parts - no front muffler. Just for the record, they didn't claim to have it either. So if anyone has a source, I'd welcome a pointer. It would be real nice to replace the whole exhaust system at one time. The Volvo part number is 680598

·
Registered
103 Posts
I heard back from Swedish Auto Parts - no front muffler. Just for the record, they didn't claim to have it either. So if anyone has a source, I'd welcome a pointer. It would be real nice to replace the whole exhaust system at one time. The Volvo part number is 680598
I bought the header pipe from Voluparts in Atlanta in 2002. Haven't dealt with them in a while but worth trying.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the tips. Autopartswarehouse only has "universal fit" exhaust parts. Voluparts doesn't carry parts for 140 series anymore, but I sent them an inquiry anyway.

Has anyone dealt with volvopartswebsite.com before? They claim to have the muffler, but I'm skeptical of web merchants who have no contact info and won't say where their business is located.

And what about classic-volvo.com which appears to be on-line ordering for Scandcar.nl? They also list availability with reasonable flat-rate shipping, but if the parts are coming out of the Netherlands it could take 2-3 weeks to get them.

Whoever I buy from, I'd like to confirm they actually have the part and know where it's shipping from so i have sense how long it should take.

·
Registered
450 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been wrenching away on the 142E and it's really coming together. I started a web site with more details of the project. I still have a bunch more posts to do covering the work I've already done, so subscribe on the web site if you want to get update notifications.

enjoy www.Volvo142E.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice work! Thanks for the images for inspiration.

Also, thanks for everyone's input on tracking down parts, I have a 144S that needs some love and now I trust some of these sites just a bit more.

Cheers

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've been reading your site.. Love it. I'm also looking at a 71 142e but I am cloudy on a few things. What year was AC introduced? Did the 71's ever have options such as Sunroof and AC?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts