SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First week in our 2020 T5, coming from 2010 XC90 R-Design.

Very impressed with throttle response, acceleration & passing power. Was concerned that T5 wouldn’t have enough hp/torque, and even had one dealer poo-poo it vs the T6. Compared to T6 AWD, my T5 FWD actually felt quicker during my test drive comparisons, and now after 500 miles on interstate and windy roads, it is plenty, more than adequate quick (might make sense to get T6 if you need AWD). Turbo lag is nonexistent compared to my Porsche twin-turbo, and throttle response is virtually instantaneous and very linear.

Handling is much better than our 2010 was, helped some by the weight differential, and smaller turning radius. We went with 18” wheels for ride comfort and lower cost, but they did amazingly well, and significantly better than the 19’s on our old R-Design. The T5 and T6 that I test drove with the optional 20’s rode kind of rough, and I noticed the braking wasn’t smooth on either; kind of reminded me of warped rotors.

The tech is awesome, and probably unmatched at this price point (2020 XC90 like ours with Multimedia & Heated Seat Pkgs can be bought in low $40’s at metro dealers, assuming Loyalty Allowance). I’ve used adaptive cruise and lane keep assist for nearly a decade on other vehicles that we’ve had, but Pilot Assist is top notch, particularly for lane CENTERING, and curve tracing, and for it’s displays/control surfaces. Volvo’s latest adaptive cruise is also much smoother slowing to stop than other cars I’ve had. I also like the runoff prevention feature.

Leatherette seats are fine, very comfortable and will likely wear better than the leather we had for 10 years in our old XC90 (less slippery too). Basic power seat controls, with only two way lumbar, but they’re on both sides, and perfectly adequate for us. No cooling available with leatherette, but it’s not something we’d use much anyway, and moving up to the leather with ventilation runs a lot more money.

Voice command is pretty flawless, and able to do just about anything without taking ones eyes off the road.

Very glad to see that Stop/Start disengagement is now remembered between starts. One very experienced SA at one store didn’t even know about this significant change. (Wish I could delete that second battery for it though.)

One thing that doesn’t seem to be mentioned that much is the free or low cost of Volvo On-Call, Nav updates, CarPlay and Internet Services, etc. Very noticeable to me after experiencing the exorbitance of German brands.

Appears to be a lot more boot space than our old one; Gen 2 is about 5 inches longer overall.

Mpg is nearly 20% better highway.

Cons so far (minor): Difficult to check brake & coolant fluid levels, and audio internet apps are slow to connect using car modem.

So, this is my wife’s car, and she wanted another Volvo despite my initial misgivings, and my trying to talk her into an Audi, Porsche, BMW, or Mazda, or even the new big Kia or Hyundai, but she prevailed, and I’m very glad she did. One thing I didn’t consider previously is the redundant communications on it for roadside assistance/emergencies when she’s driving alone. In addition to her phone, it has two cell connections (yeah, I know one is data/internet), both of which are ATT, and different from her carrier, and if no cell signals are available, there’s an emergency satellite connection for assistance, which should always be available (unless in a tunnel or something.)

My expectations were absolutely blown out of the water after driving it 500 miles. Thankfully.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Great review of your vehicle and it's good you and wife are enjoying it.

Care to comment on T5's road noise levels compared to your R Design's?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Great review of your vehicle and it's good you and wife are enjoying it.

Care to comment on T5's road noise levels compared to your R Design's?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Good question. The new one is definitely quieter inside than the ‘10 R-Design 3.2, even though the RD was running quieter all seasons tires. The Pirelli’s on the new one can be a bit noisy (more susceptible to pavement noise?).

The T5 drivetrain seems much quieter, with barely noticeable gear changes (extra gears help that a lot), so downshifts aren't anywhere near as straining/noisy. Although the T5 doesn’t have that pleasant an engine sound.

HK sound system is pretty good, with cabin noise being somewhat detrimental to it, but don’t depend on my hearing.

FTM in review that we’re using premium gas, so that likely helps performance. Getting about 27 mpg, non-ECO mode, mostly highway, which is significantly better than our old RD.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Very refeshing to hear positive commentary on the board vs the normal 'its a lemon' diatribes. While I have a V90 i have to say i like it more than any other car I've owned.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'm currently driving a T5 2020 Momentum and have been really impressed. I've got a 2016 Inscription that's currently in the shop for the ten thousandth time so I spend a lot of time in loaners and have driven multiple variants of each trim and model year over the past 4.5 years.

Can definitely tell differences in cabin noise level in 2019/2020's - much quieter in T6 and T5. What's surprised me most is the power of the T5 seeming no different than the T6. Don't know how that's possible but in daily driver situations, I simply can't tell. If I were to replace my 2016, I'd definitely consider a T5 as I can't say the T6 offers any real upgrade.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I’m no track star, but I’m familiar with driving high performance cars, and I agree that the 2020 XC90 T5 is no slouch, at least in FWD form.

After driving a 2019 T6 AWD Polestar, the new T5 FWD seems as quick or quicker and very responsive. For a minute, I thought the T5 had also been “Polestarred”. BTW, running premium in the T5, and not sure what was in the T6.

Great combination of fuel economy, and off the line torque and passing power. Plus 70mph+ highway driving is very confidence inspiring. Way better than our 2010 3.2 FWD was, largely because of the much greater power on tap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts