SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please vote as to how important this feature would be if you were ordering/buying a new XC90 today (cost $400).

Yannis

·
Administrator
55,951 Posts
Re: Reverse Warning System (GrecianVolvo)

Would a reverse camera (like the MDX) be preferred over just an audible chime?

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Re: Reverse Warning System (webpj)

a reverse warning system that beeps when you approach another object while backing up. Ample warning so you don't back into the garbage can or the grille of the car behind when parallel parking. Your kids and the kids you'll encounter everywhere you go do!!!

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/051002_assign7_driveway.html
Yikes honey the kids are playing on the driveway! Watch out behind!
http://www.kidsncars.org/backing_up.htm

Statistics (Backed over ~ 32%)
http://www.kidsncars.org/statistics.htm

·
Registered
378 Posts

I also prefer the tone over a camera. I back up a lot and this thing really works, gets you within a foot in another car! The only thing a camera would offer is actually seeing how close you are as opposed to letting a 'system' tell you how close you are. I fear one day a low bumper may not register and ...crush... time will tell.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Reverse Warning System (spideyman)

Camera rocks. Not only does it show everything right behind the bumper but it is fisheyed so no more guesswork when pulling out of that diagonal parking place when the suburban parked to your left has completely occluded your view. You can see if anyone is coming even though you are not even close to having a direct line of sight. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

OT

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Volvo have a similar system installed on their buses...it is very handy. But the monitor where they [bus drivers] watch the action is kind of large, so I am not sure where (inside the XC90) they could fit even a smaller one.

Yannis

·
Registered
306 Posts

Backing into a perpendicular parking space effectively eliminates my fear of parking lot formula 1 idiots when leaving the space - along with my own danger to others. Radar is nice, but popping the door and having a look behind is just as effective. Concerned for small children at home and on the street, my cop friend and his wife always back into their driveway.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts

The ideal place for Volvo to place the camera image would be on the Navigation screen. That is how Infiniti does it with the FX45 and FX35. With Infiniti's system as soon as you put the vehicle in reverse the navigation screen stops displaying a map and starts showing the view from the rear mounted camera.

William

·
Registered
306 Posts

Two Scenarios:

Backing in: when approaching driveway from street, it's easy to see if it's clear. Toddlers and preschoolers inside the house are still unaware that you've arrived, so there's less opportunity for them to dive out the house door to greet you before coming to a stop.

When leaving home: a large amount of time elapses after getting into the car - buckling-up, and warming-up the car a bit etc. The opportunity for trouble increases, plus, people are generally preoccupied with their trip ahead of them. This is also the time when kids know you're leaving and will try for one more farewell. When it's time to pull away, vision going forward is better.

Note however, for those like in my case who have radar, it's probably better to use the technology and back out. (except for parking lots).

Safety conscious Volvo should consider forward radar (sonar). Touareg and several others have it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Re: Reverse Warning System (Tao)

I agree with your summary of the risks. We always pull into garage in reverse. This way you first drive by your driveway and get a good look to see if anyone is there or any doors are open before backing in. When we pull out forwards in morning, usually everyone is in a rush and this avoids the hazards of missing someone who has run out of the house or even a child walking to school. In the end, it is impossible to see small children right in front or behind this car (and this is endemic to SUVs) and cameras would be the best solution. I amalso going to see if the sensitivity on my radar can be turned up.

·
Registered
580 Posts

The reverse warning system is absolutely, definitely worth the $400 http://********************/smile/emthup.gif . It was one of those items I thought would be nice to have when I bought the car. Now, I am hooked! Very useful, highly recommended!

·
Registered
6,307 Posts

How did we ever survive with our parents driving Suburbans and Internationals when we were growing up?
Doesn't anyone look behind their vehicles anymore, or are we in such an all-fire hurry to get somewhere, that we simply don't have the time?

Just curious!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Re: Reverse Warning System (1sttimevolvo)

I use the reverse warning system all the time in parking lots. Rather then trying to guess how close I am to a car behind me, I slowly back up until the system begins to beep. Perfect parking, every time.

I also like the auto-reduction of the audio system volume while in reverse. I listen to the radio/CD's at a rather loud level, and I find it helps me focus while driving in reverse. Shift back in to drive, and the sound returns to the previous mind-numbing level. Perfect!

In spite of the surge in the number of larger vehicles on the road, I don't hear about a lot of "back-over" accidents anymore. Drivers seem more sensitive to the risks. Maybe the use of reverse warning systems is starting to help.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Backing up into the garage can be just as dangerous if you have toddelers in the house. The garage door opener makes enough noise that the kids bomb into the garage (they can now reach and open the deadbolt) to greet Daddy hello. I don't think there is really any good solution other than being really careful backing out.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Re: (Trevor)

In the same way that headlights disperse light in front of you AND to your periphery...does the reverse warning system tell you if something is not directly behind you, but off a little to the side (but still behind you?), or does the system only account for things that are DIRECTLY behind the vehicle?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Re: (tonytong01)

Quote, originally posted by tonytong01 »
does the reverse warning system tell you if something is not directly behind you, but off a little to the side (but still behind you?)

Yes.

Getting out of the garage in reverse means that you always get beeped until your back end is sufficiently outside of the garage. It will not distinguish between the closeness of the garage wall and a kid standing right behind so be careful backing up.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Re: (ig_mb)

While we are on the subject of the Reverse Warning system, does anybody know how quickly the system reacts to an object? I am assuming it is instantaneous, but if not, then we may be closer to an object than we think. And yet closer the faster we travel backwards.

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts