SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I bought the car in February the reverse lights have a mind of their own. Sometimes they will work and sometimes they won't. It happens randomly, and sometimes they'll even come on after a few seconds of backing up, sometimes they'll shut off after a few seconds.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I haven't had that problem, but it sounds like the switch in the shifter may be loose or going kaput.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The reverse switch is bad and is only working intermittently ask me how I know lol. Part is cheap and threads in on top of the transmission.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've checked and cleaned the wiring and switch, I have a new reverse switch laying around my garage somewhere but I noticed the day before I was planning to install it that my reverse lights started working. I chalked it up to new transmission fluid and didn't think twice. Then it stopped working a few days later and here I am now.

If I definitely have to replace the switch is there a specific tool that I could get at an autozone or something that would make the job easier? I only have basic hand tools and metric sockets, no 90 degree ratchet extensions or anything...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I've checked and cleaned the wiring and switch, I have a new reverse switch laying around my garage somewhere but I noticed the day before I was planning to install it that my reverse lights started working. I chalked it up to new transmission fluid and didn't think twice. Then it stopped working a few days later and here I am now.

If I definitely have to replace the switch is there a specific tool that I could get at an autozone or something that would make the job easier? I only have basic hand tools and metric sockets, no 90 degree ratchet extensions or anything...
I was able to change it out with normal tools can't remember exactly what I used although I believe I was able to get it out with your normal open ended wrench.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Stefan mine was unpredictable like yours, for months, until I replaced the switch.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A new switch is cheap too. Probably the least expensive repair you'll ever make on your R. :)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
If you need to pass the inspection and the switch is acting up, leave the car in reverse overnight. The reverse lights will work perfectly fine for a day or so. then the switch will act up again.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Yea when I replaced my switch I started playing around with the original switch and my meter and the contact would only close every third to fifth time I pushed in the switch. So when they go they seem to work intermittently

1 - 12 of 12 Posts