SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some background: 2 months ago steering got noisy especially when turning. Fluid was low so I topped PS reservoir with Pentosin. noise went away. Just recently I noticed a similar whirring noise. Not from turning the wheel but at start up. Gets louder when I rev engine . Alsmost seems like the PS is oil starved. Fluid level is good and I don’t notice any leaks. Looking for answers.. thank you

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have no idea as to the cause of the symptoms you are having, but I have had great long term success using Lubrizol 0019896103. It's the Mercedes power steering additive. As far as I know, it's not specifically for steering whine, but it has worked for all the cars I have used it in. It works gradually, usually a week or so in my experience. Just take out 50ml of fluid and replace it (running) with the Lubrizol.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It’s very possible it’s the power steering reservoir, or possibly the pump, with a slow leak, allowing it to suck in air. It’s quite common, especially with the V8. When it leaks from the pump, it runs across the engine, and leaks down between the engine and transmission. Many people mistake this for a rear main seal leak.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts