SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel the power decrease when the engine gets a about 6800 RPM, but the tach doesn't stop moving once it reaches that point. Isn't the rev limiter supposed to...well... limit revs. As soon as it cuts power shouldn't the RPM go down, or am I just not familiar with the working of this device? Please enlighten me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Re: (nikhsub1)

What you are feeling is the PEAK boost, hp and torque levels. Once the car feels it's stongest point in the power band the computer cuts back a little. So lets say your peak performance tops out at 6800 rpm's, you should be shifting at that point. The rest of the revs will only feel "bogged out" Alot of us shift at 5500-6000 rpm's even though there is more revs, there is alot less power above 6500 rpm's than if you were to shift earlier.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Re: (carsonlake)

Exactly. Just try to learn the power curve. A G-tech would be very helpfull in finding your power points in the higher rpm's. Then seing where you lose the power would be just as helpfull. Once you master that you will be very happy with the power delivery of the car in the higher revs. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
Re: Rev Limiter Question (carsonlake)

There is a "soft" rev limiter in the car - basically it makes sure it doesn't BANG real hard against the true hard limit - it essentially starts pulling back throttle just before it hits the true limiter.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Rev Limiter Question (carsonlake)

Quote, originally posted by carsonlake »
I feel the power decrease when the engine gets a about 6800 RPM, but the tach doesn't stop moving once it reaches that point. Isn't the rev limiter supposed to...well... limit revs. As soon as it cuts power shouldn't the RPM go down, or am I just not familiar with the working of this device? Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Timed limiter is near 6870 rpm, the other near 6600. If it runs in to the limiter the engine starts to sputter a bit but when you keep the throttle on it will stay at the limiter, not drop. The engine doesn't completely cut out if that is what you were expecting.

Tacho is only a bit slow in 1st gear.

·
Registered
96 Posts
warpedcow, at what rpm level is this soft limiter as you put it? I have an 04 GT (just got it, BUT it has 0 miles on it; don't ask!) and when I hit 6300 I feel that I have hit the limiter (soft, hard I am not sure). What is this?

(I posted this question a few minutes ago in a new thread, because I hadn't seen this one)

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
Re: (acg69)

Quote, originally posted by acg69 »
warpedcow, at what rpm level is this soft limiter as you put it? I have an 04 GT (just got it, BUT it has 0 miles on it; don't ask!) and when I hit 6300 I feel that I have hit the limiter (soft, hard I am not sure). What is this?

I'm not sure, I have the MT. I know I saw 6500RPM on that before I got my BSR PPC (which raises the limiter) but I was lifting off the throttle at that point already... I never banged against any limit. Now with BSR I've hit 6800RPM without any sort of bang or sudden drop in power (though the turbo runs out of steam around 5500 or 6000, depending on ambient temp so I shift at 6k or so anyway).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.