SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Return to car and AC was blowing

4K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  BrunoS 
#1 ·
OK this freaked me out. I parked my car, locked it and went inside the resturant to have lunch. When I returned, heard the cooling was running, unlocked the car, opened the door and my AC was running (although AC was off, fan was still blowing). WTF happened?
Has this happened to anyone else?

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Return to car and AC was blowing (blackTT55)

I've had the fan, in the engine compartment, run for a while (minutes) but not through lunch

#3 ·
Re: Return to car and AC was blowing (blackTT55)

No as a matter of fact it has never happened to my car in spite of pursuing with Volvo since new car purchase in November 2004.

Your car is operating as it should. The function is evaporator afterblow to remove moisture from the HVAC system. Should run for about 5 minutes, 50 minutes or so after shut down. See your owners manual.

There is a TNN for the issue since many cars, across the product line do not, and can not have this function enabled.

The good news for me is that even though I have not been able to get mine fixed, Volvo has at last hooked me up with a technical rep. that actually understands the problem. I have every confidence after talking with him, that it will be fixed.

#4 ·
Re: Return to car and AC was blowing (rogersampson)

They shut it off for 04's. You can have it turned back on if you like

#5 ·

All they have to do is go into VIDA and change your after-blower function. Don't know why your dealer seems to be having a problem with this - but this is definitely something you want to turn ON, or else you're opening yourself up to the "dirty sock smell" out of the vents.

I think it's a stroke of genius that this is capable of being done. My old/former car, Honda Accord, smelled like crap in the summer-time for a solid 5 minutes every time I got into it. My car now: sweet smelling air.

#6 ·
Re: Return to car and AC was blowing (Short Circuit)

Not that easy. Unfortunately the prevailing attitude was just as you suggested, "just activate it".

I will spare the details of the many calls, letters to VCNA, customer care etc. All of that was preceded by many visits to multiple dealers located from California to Texas.

The effort did finally result in recognition of the problem, via TNN. No resolution yet, but getting close.

Please see my posting in General Discussion.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=60031

#7 ·

Roger, have you tried to reload the CCM in totality, meaning a total software re-install for that?

#8 ·
Re: Return to car and AC was blowing (Short Circuit)

Yes that was tried early on by the selling dealer. Some other values were reset to default, but no change on afterblow.

We have tried several times deactivating just the afterblow function by itself, and then activating it. VIDA says it is activated but it is not.

The good news is that I have at last been put in touch with someone from Volvo that knows what he is talking about. Even though it is not yet fixed, I do believe this person has the skill and internal "network" to get it done.

#9 ·

Hmmm. Well, good luck. When we see the TNN on this, we'll all know the person behind it. You'd think that it would be a fairly simple thing to do...

Again, good luck. Did Volvo offer a timeframe for you to get your solution and/or solution via general TNN announcement?

#11 ·
Re: Return to car and AC was blowing (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
They shut it off for 04's. You can have it turned back on if you like
Do you know why Volvo turned it off? It's a shame since it did a nice job of keeping the A/C vents smelling fresh, worked like a charm in my MY02 S60. My XC90, however, is started gettin' musty last summer and my dealer claims to have turned on afterblow via VIDA but obviously they didn't read/understand the TNN (or BS'ed me).
So far my MY06 S60R doesn't smell must but it's still new and I haven't used the A/C too much yet.

They REALLY got'a fix this, the afterblow is REALLY needed

LTA

#12 ·
Re: Return to car and AC was blowing (mike_c70)

This is the TNN, the second of two that describes the problem with VIDA. The "solutions" mentioned in this TNN, are now undergoing test. I know of no due date.

It appears that the software fix is slightly different for each model year involved.

I suspect the problem is finding failed examples to test with, not that they are not there, it is just that the owners do not know of it. When I was working on getting this resolved I can not tell you how many times Volvo representatives told me "no one has ever complained of this". By far, they get questions, such as the beginning of this thread, why is this turning on.

They do not get questions of, "this is supposed to be happening, and it is not".

#13 ·

WEll, I know mine isn't on because the heat has been brutal here in SoCal the last few days and my car smells like crap when I first turn on the AC. It'll get checked out the next time the car goes in along with the steering groan.

#15 ·
My T5 did this a few times, but I haven't seen it in the few times I have had the A/C on in the R.

#17 ·

Quote, originally posted by rogersampson »
Your car is operating as it should. The function is evaporator afterblow to remove moisture from the HVAC system. Should run for about 5 minutes, 50 minutes or so after shut down. See your owners manual.
Thanks for the info. It puts me at ease to know that it's normal procedure and that it will not operate if it detects low voltage in the battery. I assume and would expect this to occur more often now that it's summer and the weather has been scorching hot here in So. Cal lately.

#18 ·
Alright now that it has been mentioned, I have been paying closer attention and I even had my hood popped this afternoon and sure enough I heard something blowing, although it was quiet. I wasn't running my A/C though on my commute, so is this the same thing that we are discussing or is something else running?

#19 ·

Great info - I had read about the after blower function a while ago, so I complained of the musty smell to my dealer last time I was there. They said, "no problem, we'll activate the after-blower function." I thought I had also seen the TNN that said the change could not be made, but I was no sure enough of myself to question them. Now that it is getting warm out, I tested it out. I put tissue paper balanced at the vents. I tested that indeed they blow off the instant I turn on the fan. I carefully closed the car door...came back hours later.... tissues still on the vents
Of course now the dealer THINKS they solved the problem, while in fact I'm about to get a smelly summer car again when it stays hot! My dealer is an hour away, so I'm not going to pursue it until I hear that there is a fix that makes the TNN work again.

Anyone who gets it turned on - make sure you post the solution!

Albert

#20 ·
Re: Return to car and AC was blowing (adalcanto)

I had both of our Volvos' "after blow" feature enabled.

I believe the part no. is 9452948-4. There was no charge for this. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#21 ·
Re: Return to car and AC was blowing (TexasV70R)

This is hilarious. My girlfriend used my car for the first time while I was at work the other day. She was doing some errands and when she came back to the car she called me because she said the A/C was blowing and the keys werent even in the ignition! Of course, my first thought is that she broke something. Ha! I was all worried, I can't wait to tell her about this...thanks!

#22 ·
Re: Return to car and AC was blowing (S60Driven)

Quote, originally posted by S60Driven »
She was doing some errands

Are you certain of this? You might want to hire a PI to follow her next time.. she could messing with another dude while driving your T5...
.. just JK.

Anyhow, I will not mess with it and leave it as it was intended by the engineers. A little smell won't bother me that much.

#23 ·
Re: (phuz)

I suspect what you heard was the ECM cooling fan, which is mounted at the rear of the ECM box, right front of engine bay. This is a small axially mounted fan whose only purpose in life is to cool the ECU, and TCU if you have an automatic. It will run for a few moments, right after shut down.

It could have been the radiator/condenser cooling fan but that would be much louder and of course is right at the front of the car. It too may run for a few moments right after shut down.

If you did not have the AC on, there was no heat being removed from the air and therefore no moisture in the evaporator box. That is the function of the afterblow, and has been posted this is about a 5 minute run, 50 minutes after shutdown. It runs the inside blower on high, and you can definitely hear it, inside or out.

#25 ·
Re: (blackTT55)

I had to have my blower control relay replaced because mine was running all the time last summer. It would drain the battery overnight. The dealer said they have had to do this on other Volvo's as well. The way I knew it was a real problem was that even with the car on, the fan speed dial would not affect the blower speed. It made summer driving miserable when it decided not to run at all with the air on. Just mentioning this, because it may actually be a problem with the system.

#26 ·
Re: Return to car and AC was blowing (mike_c70)

Quote, originally posted by mike_c70 »
http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Vol....html

OK - according to this TNN, it is not possible to turn the afterblow function "on" at this time. Until this is resolved, does someone have a solution for the stink emanating from my A/C vents??

Simple question and hopefully a simple answer

Regards,

Derek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.