SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Retrofitting the Navigation System on an S60/80 ... (oliver2015)

I do not understand what you mean.
Order a complete system for mounting afterwards can be done, it is very common in our country because of tax regulations.
One thing you can´t do is to mount a MY2001 CD NAV system in to a MY2002-2003 car because Volvo blocked this option probably to sell more new DVD NAV units.
They tried this at my dealer without succes, there´s no software to make the system work.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Sorry, here is what I meant by my original question....

The screen pops out of the dash, right? Won't they have to replace some of the dash and remove certain panels and other things in order to fit the nav system? I haven't seen it myself, so I am not sure how it all works.

Also, you are saying that the DVD system cannot be fitted into a 2001/2 car?

Does the TV tuner make any difference - i.e. can it be fitted to either system just as easily?

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

Normally the kit comes with a new dash-speaker cover and all the brackets and wiring looms.
It´s a complet snap together kit, no hacking required.
I know for sure the 2001 CD system can´t be mounted in a 2002 model car but I assume it will be possible to mount a new DVD system in an older model.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Retrofitting the Navigation System on an S60/80 ... (Johann)

Thanks Johann - that's useful for me to know.

When you refer to the dash speaker cover, does that mean that the HU-803 Audio system would lose one speaker if the Nav was fitted, or doesn't if really affect it?

Sorry for asking the questions but UK dealers are useless and not very helpful and I can't exactly but an S60 and then start asking the questions http://********************/smile/emwink.gif

thanks

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

Pfff, I don't know.
I have a HU-803 Audiomax system with the RTI system but I don't know if that centre speaker is different.
I guess it's only the cover being different.
There is room for the complete NAV system plus slides for the monitor in there.
Last week I saw a V70 being converted to mobility line, cam empty from factory, and it took less than a day.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Hello Oliver,
I have a MY02 S60 T5 and had the DVD Nav retrofitted into the car back in June. Like Johann said, there is no hacking of any kind on the dash. Keep in mind the S60 was designed with the navi in mind so once installed, it looks like it came from the factory. The only 'hacking' done by the dealer is a hole they cut behind the steering wheel for the cursor pad. With the S80 model, I believe the dealer replaces the steering wheel altogether.
In the AudioMax systems, the center speaker is replaced with a smaller less audible one so technically, there are still 13 speakers in the audio system. To make up for the smaller speaker, I just crank up the Center volume on the console.
Unlike third party systems with their flimsy LCD screens that fold out, the Volvo navi screen rises and falls with a klunk! The motor that moves the screen up and down sound solid. Will it start making squeaking in the future? Only time will tell. But I don't think it will make more noise than a dash cupholder or the flash light I keep in my glove compartment. Keep in mind there are two other modules plus wiring harnesses besides the screen. The DVD drive is mounted in the trunk and the GPS Antenna is mounted on the hatshelf behind the rear seats.
Overall, I'm impressed with the system. It integrates well with the car. For example, the illumination dial that control dash brightness also controls the navi screen brightness. The main reason I bought the navi system is that it integrates so well with the dash. The screen is discrete (which is important when security is concerned) and idealy placed without obtructing the road. You can operate the system with the cursor pads while keeping your hands on the steering wheel, where they should be. And the system is cheap compared to other third party DVD navi systems on the market.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Retrofitting the Navigation System on an S60/80 ... (MyNewT5)

Thanks, that was incredibly helpful. I feel much mroe confident about the retrofitting now. Can't wait until August 2003 when I get the car...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Just another little question relating to "renovating" an S60...

Can the dealer easily replace the wood trim with chrome trim?

Like with the NAV retrofitting, I just wouldn't want to think that replacing the trim would make the doors rattle after a few years or something.....

·
Registered
8 Posts

Following this thread, I asked the local dealer for the cost of the retrofit - some £3200, without the TV option. Given this is a factory order cost of £2500 in the Uk, does the future resale value of the car help to recover the cost of fitting?

The system seems to be ideal, in terms of integration and design. How does the RDS-TMC stuff actually work in the UK, does it help?

The bottom line is, how much value does the system add to the car when it comes time to sell/trade in and how well does it perform with the UK ever changing traffic patterns?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Re: Retrofitting the Navigation System on an S60/80 ... (Jeremy Curtis)

Jeremy,
As with any electronics of the computer nature, I believe you should only purchase it if YOU think its useful. In two/three/five years, there will definitely be some other whiz bang holographic navigation system that will blow away the current DVD system and therefore leave little, if any, residual value.
There is nothing on the market, OEM or otherwise, that beats the Volvo Navi in terms of ergonomics, aesthetics, integration, etc. It is just great and I don't regret putting it in.
I can't get over how much the DVD Navi system is in the UK. I purchased my retrofit kit for under CDN $3000 (£1,231). And the price for the MY2003 factory installed DVD has dropped to CDN $2500 (£1,025). ptions&lng=en&col=anigreen&typ=financing&car=s60" TARGET="_blank">http://www.volvocanada.com/index.asp?paghttp://********************/smile/emsmileo.gifptions&lng=en&col=anigreen&typ=financing&car=s60 But then, someone in Sweden is probably laughing at us..."you paid how much for you..." http://********************/smile/emwink.gif

[Modified by MyNewT5, 12:09 AM 12-2-2002]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Retrofitting the Navigation System on an S60/80 ... (MyNewT5)

I've checked with a few dealers - the price is right for the UK. The system can also have TV option, so if you go under 3km/h you can have the TV on too - I guess while sitting in the many traffic jams in the UK, it passes the time.

It seems, as with so many things in the UK, the prices are just so high. Generally there is a direct £ to $ conversion used, i.e. a £1000 item becomes $1000 elsewhere. Alas the UK/European version is different to the US one. I went into a delaer to have a look at the system running, quite impressive I must admit. Given the distance I cover a year, and I bought an ex-demo S60 D5 SE rather cheap - I could have it fitted and still just scrape under the original new price for car with the system fitted. They may haggle a little I suppose - if I catch them on a good day.

Given petrol (or Diesel in my case) is close to £3.80 a gallon (75p ish per litre - just over 80% tax on it you see - and set to increase), I'm not surprised with the cost. Generally you can import a car for up to 20% discount from Europe - to UK spec. Only the dealers don't want you too - was it Volvo who were fined several million for such behaviour recently?

·
Registered
82 Posts

Hate to bring this one back, but is it worth it to do the install on the car. Honestly, the only reason why I would want it is I need something else to play with in the car. I also realize for the $2000, I could put that into some nice mods on the car IE a Hieco Sports exhaust. Should I give up on this dream and buy the touchscreen one that Garmin makes, or is the one that volvo makes really worth the money?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

I believe that the center speaker is smaller to make room for the screen
JRL
Quote, originally posted by oliver2015 »
Thanks Johann - that's useful for me to know.

When you refer to the dash speaker cover, does that mean that the HU-803 Audio system would lose one speaker if the Nav was fitted, or doesn't if really affect it?

Sorry for asking the questions but UK dealers are useless and not very helpful and I can't exactly but an S60 and then start asking the questions http://********************/smile/emwink.gif

thanks

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Retrofitting the Navigation System on an S60/80 ... (Johann)

Quote, originally posted by Johann »
One thing you can´t do is to mount a MY2001 CD NAV system in to a MY2002-2003 car because Volvo blocked this option probably to sell more new DVD NAV units.

What kind of "logic" is this?
If that were the case, they could have made the 2002 system comatible to 2001 models so that people like me can install a DVD-based system...

Yannis

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Retrofitting the Navigation System on an S60/80 ... (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
I believe that the center speaker is smaller to make room for the screen
JRL

That is correct.

Yannis

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Retrofitting the Navigation System on an S60/80 ... (Flynhawaiian)

Quote, originally posted by Flynhawaiian »
Hate to bring this one back, but is it worth it to do the install on the car. Honestly, the only reason why I would want it is I need something else to play with in the car. I also realize for the $2000, I could put that into some nice mods on the car IE a Hieco Sports exhaust. Should I give up on this dream and buy the touchscreen one that Garmin makes, or is the one that volvo makes really worth the money?

Agree with you, on all points. Eventhough the Volvo OEM system is very, very good and has unparallelled reception, there are other aftermarket option some of which i am looking into as I am not about to fork over $3,000+ to install the OEM system. I am debating between Garmin's touch screen model (for just under $1,000), the latest from Blaupunkt's TravelPilot model (about $1,300 plus installation) or going with a PDA mounted on the dash (total cost of PDA plus software/hardware will run about $650). Still deciding.

Yannis

1 - 18 of 18 Posts