SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Has anyone here retroffited the original Volvo puddle lights? :)

If so, are the wires already there or do I need to wire them up?

Reason I am asking: I have been offered the correct mirror housings for the puddle lights but totally without anything inside (no cables, no bulbs etc.).

Would be a nice addition (and something to brag about )... :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi!

Has anyone here retroffited the original Volvo puddle lights? :)

If so, are the wires already there or do I need to wire them up?

Reason I am asking: I have been offered the correct mirror housings for the puddle lights but totally without anything inside (no cables, no bulbs etc.).

Would be a nice addition (and something to brag about )... :D
even if the wiring was there, you wont have the yellow button on the key fob to activate them will you...??

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
even if the wiring was there, you wont have the yellow button on the key fob to activate them will you...??
Sure. Is on my key. I can turn my parking lights and interior lights on and off with it...

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have the same question :) recently i bought v50 (i have to for almost one week). I already have new right mirror with integrated light and think to buy also a left one. So are wire from "car" to mirror already in with "SW lock" or do i have to wire them up?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I would think you would need a software update for that to work, like installing fog lights requires, a VIDA hookup may be able to change a setting but ive never seen it.

I know the fog light wires are there so stands to reason that the puddle lights would be too. Also even if you don't have DTC or the homelink, the wiring is there.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Check the wiring with a multimeter, if no voltage is found, you could always tap into a wire from the headlight plug

·
Registered
945 Posts
I also want to add these. Its stupid that my r-design doesn't have it when a 2005 2.4i has that feature!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have a 2011 wiring diagram but can't even find the circuit.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have a 2011 wiring diagram but can't even find the circuit.
Sounds like its time to rip apart a mirror with a multimeter.... well use the multimeter after you get it ripped apart...

·
Registered
945 Posts
I will do it next week as I have a week off.

If the wires are in it should be a matter of getting the puddle light lower trim piece and maybe a program.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wires are there - at least on a C30.

·
Registered
945 Posts
problem is I can't find a bottom cover that has the hole in it, although there seems to be puddle lights in some facelift S40/V50 according to brichures online. So these parts have to be available.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/pdf/v50/MY08_V50_US.pdf

Multifunctional door mirrors
The generously dimensioned door mirrors are power operated using
a joystick in the driver’s door panel. Indicators are embedded in the
sides of the mirror–a nudge of the indicator stalk will activate three
flashes of the indicator light, so there’s less risk your turn will go
unannounced. To further enhance your safety and comfort, there are
options such as puddle lights, Volvo’s Blind Spot Information System
(BLIS) and the ability to fold the mirrors electonically for those tight
garage spots.
it looks like it might be only available on the BLIS / retractable mirror. Someone here has a facelift S40/V50 with puddle lights only (no BLIS/retractable)??

THing is that it's like BLIS part is on the part attached to the car where the puddle light is on the cover attached to the mirror (folding part)

·
Registered
945 Posts
ok more research, need the retractable version to have the right cover.
31278734 left side

seems you cannot buy that lower trim alone. need the whole thing.
it's $156.79 each... that makes an expensive light.

I think I'll dremel my own hole in the current cover to fit the factory bulb...

·
Registered
8 Posts
hmmm i do not know which version do i have, but left one (driver side) is original without light, right one was changed and has light...bo non of them is retractable (i pressed left and right button for mirrors and nothing happened) ;)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
You could probably add puddle lights to any housing if the harness is there and active. Drill some holes, mount some bright LEDs, and connect.

·
Registered
945 Posts
those parts are the same as the ones I have posted (i.e. the whole mirror), but you have posted C30 and I have posted S40/V50, not sure they are interchangeable. They are cheaper though because you can have a C30 manually retractable with the illumination where S40/V50 is not available.!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
those parts are the same as the ones I have posted (i.e. the whole mirror), but you have posted C30 and I have posted S40/V50, not sure they are interchangeable. They are cheaper though because you can have a C30 manually retractable with the illumination where S40/V50 is not available.!
Can't be bothered to search now, as it is 11.30 pm but I'll get you the part numbers tomorrow morning. They are available.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts