SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I'm sorry for gazillion questions I have lately, but I need to make a decision and I better act quick. My wife fell out of love with her XC90 and got something else so we ended up with 3 cars as I could not accept the trade-in gut punch. SO I'm trying to accommodate XC to my needs/likes and wondering if I could retrofit an Inscription seat into Momentum. I noticed that seat's settings and controls are implemented via options panel in the computer - so I wonder if the system would recognize the seat or I could end up with something I cannot use/control. Or I could go to the dealer and "activate " it.

Same goes to the BLIS. If I install mirrors with BLIS feature - would it be possible to make it work?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Volvo probably don't want to enable Inscription seats in Momentum car.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
Volvo probably don't want to enable Inscription seats in Momentum car.

Depends on the dealer, will probably have better luck going to an independent volvo shop with a Vida sub.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I too would love to retrofit BLIS in my 2016. I couldn’t justify the package cost at the time, but have realized how much I miss it. I would really like to know what it would take. When I ask my dealer I get a shoulder shrug.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I too would love to retrofit BLIS in my 2016. I couldn’t justify the package cost at the time, but have realized how much I miss it. I would really like to know what it would take. When I ask my dealer I get a shoulder shrug.
wait wait wait wait......they sold cars without BLIS? :facepalm: that's been a staple Volvo safety feature for over 10 years..

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
So you think "technically" it's possible?
I've looked at this myself. I believe the car will more or less honor any device that is physically plugged into it. So yes, in theory, it's possible to add the premium seats, but I looked at the prices, and new, it's gonna cost you about $4K/seat. So probably not worth it.

BLIS is an interesting question, as it requires not only the two rear radar sensors, but also the side-view mirrors. I'd be less confident that'll work plug-and-play, but it's possible?

In any event, you will need VIDA to download the appropriate software after you install the seats and/or BLIS.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've looked at this myself. I believe the car will more or less honor any device that is physically plugged into it. So yes, in theory, it's possible to add the premium seats, but I looked at the prices, and new, it's gonna cost you about $4K/seat. So probably not worth it.
- good to know I'm not alone thinking about it. I was hoping to hear that car should support a plugged device; I've got this idea after i read that B&W amplified had been recognized without a software update...

BLIS is an interesting question, as it requires not only the two rear radar sensors, but also the side-view mirrors. I'd be less confident that'll work plug-and-play, but it's possible?
- oh, I thought a simple mirror swap + software "unlock" would take care of it. Didn't realize there are other sensors.. I thought cameras on mirrors are BLIS.. //facepalm.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
- good to know I'm not alone thinking about it. I was hoping to hear that car should support a plugged device; I've got this idea after i read that B&W amplified had been recognized without a software update...

- oh, I thought a simple mirror swap + software "unlock" would take care of it. Didn't realize there are other sensors.. I thought cameras on mirrors are BLIS.. //facepalm.
B&W amp will be recognized but the concert surrounding sound effect will not be enabled. So software is still different. If VIDA ties it to VIN, you won't get the necessary software unless Volvo update your car in their database.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
wait wait wait wait......they sold cars without BLIS? :facepalm: that's been a staple Volvo safety feature for over 10 years..
BLIS had always been an option;I think XC90 is only car where it's standard now and that's only recent.

·
Registered
933 Posts
BLIS will be extremely expensive to install, considering you need extra sensors and new side mirrors. To be honest, if you adjust your mirrors properly BLIS is pretty unnecessary. The seats will also be very expensive to retrofit.

I bought a 2016 Momentum+ and a couple of years later I realized I should have bought a more equipped version. Considering the interest offered in leases was lower in 2018 than in 2016 and they had a RDesign with the options I wanted in stock, I was able to negotiate a good price for my Momentum+ and end up with a loaded RDesign for a bit more per month.

That's the angle I would take instead of experimenting with new options to your 2016.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BLIS will be extremely expensive to install, considering you need extra sensors and new side mirrors. To be honest, if you adjust your mirrors properly BLIS is pretty unnecessary. The seats will also be very expensive to retrofit.

I bought a 2016 Momentum+ and a couple of years later I realized I should have bought a more equipped version. Considering the interest offered in leases was lower in 2018 than in 2016 and they had a RDesign with the options I wanted in stock, I was able to negotiate a good price for my Momentum+ and end up with a loaded RDesign for a bit more per month.

That's the angle I would take instead of experimenting with new options to your 2016.
Appreciate the suggestion.

My starting point is that I'm not really committed to the XC90 and have older R that was my daily driver till last week. I understand the advantages of newer technologies offered by XC, but not particularly happy with average audio, seat comfort, not my favorite color combo and honestly driving experience (I was thinking to add Polestar as well). My thought was if I can add some features I could live with it and it could keep mileage off the R. But, it indeed adds up pretty quickly on top of what I already have to pay for the XC. I might scratch the all modding idea altogether and try to sell it.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
If I were you, I'd add a small side mirror to help checking blind zone and hold on to it for 7 years. I am fine without Inscription seats.

I'd not take the loss by selling a 3 year old car and buy another not better equiped car with the money.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Strictly speaking I don’t need to buy another vehicle since Im pretty happy with R. That’s a problem lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
If I were you, I'd add a small side mirror to help checking blind zone and hold on to it for 7 years. I am fine without Inscription seats.

I'd not take the loss by selling a 3 year old car and buy another not better equiped car with the money.

Or flat side view mirrors can be replaced with curved ones. Second hand cost 50 EUR each. Had them in my older xc90 and there was no need for BLIS, I actually liked it even better than BLIS in my new volvo. Btw two rear sensors cost ~2000 EUR, not to mention labor and etc. Definitely not worth it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
So just dump the XC90, take the loss and live to fight another day. There's no point in keeping a car you don't want. Sell it privately and go on.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
And dont go poor next time....you just end up having regret.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts