SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In short: Retrofitting ventilated seat into a less equipped car is technically possible when VDASH is used, for further information please continue reading below.
Sorry that I cannot upload and pics here

Background:
Back in 2015 I bought a 2006 built S80 3.2 (S/N: 018696) with BLIS and ventilated seat, and I enjoyed driving with it as it is robust and generally reliable. Yet in 2018/3 I came across with a 2008 T6, but less equipped(no BLIS and ventilated seat), after a test drive I've decided to get the T6. But I've been regretting with my decision as Hong Kong has a sub-tropical climate and generally hot (about +35 Celsius or +96F in summer). And my parking place is in outdoor which made my seat feels like burning stool when I start driving under the sun. So I wonder if I could get a ventilated seat and CCM module from scrapyard and have them retrofitted.

In our hometown S80 is a rare car due to expensive road taxation, and most of the S80s are least equipped(Only high performance stereo, front/rear parking sensor, Halogen lamp, etc.), and ventilated seat is as difficult as finding a cat in a black box. And I finally managed to find a scrapping Japan market S80 2014 T6 in scrapyard and had the seats and door cards migrated into my car. The interior cost appox. 400 USD and the swapping labor costed me 210 USD.
(That's why no tutorial on how to swap the seats, but swapping the door cards are said to be easy, just to be careful that the seat supports and rails may damage the door card when moving the seats into the cabin)

After transplantation I've got a notebook to install VDASH, a 3rd party software to diagnose and mainly tweak the setting of Volvo cars. Each setting change will charge at different price, depending on what has been changed. But for P3 cars a CEM PIN decoding is needed to make setting change possible. It will take approx. 12 hrs or more depends on computer speed and network speed. In my case it takes approx. 14 hrs to unlock with my old notebook.

Then it comes to the CCM module retrofit. I've ordered one from Ebay and have it shipped to Hong Kong. To remove the front console here is the link as reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Y7JbShlTw&t=120s
And I found removing the upper chrome trim the most difficult, it took me over 20 mins to have it removed completely...

So after dismantling I tried to hook up with the new unit to see if it works, after engine startup the A/C front vent closed. I was puzzled and fear that I had to get another unit from somewhere.
Since the A/C recirculation buttons differs in 2 consoles (one with simple icons and one leg at the back, another has 2 icons with "AUT" word on it, and this has 3 legs at the back), I've tried to swap the buttons between two. When I start the car again the A/C works normal. So I can go on to the setting tweaking part.

The tweak is made in VDASH>Car Configuration> Seats> Seat Ventilation>Enable, the cost of the tweak was 40 EUR as of 2019/3/30, after payment is made the software will run and re-write the CEM. This process take less than 3 minutes and the car will reboot after changes is made successfully. The clock will be reset but you can set the time in VDASH with a click.

So after starting the car I tapped on the ventilation button to see if it works, the green LED button on the right(driver) side didn't lit up, but eventually it works, and for the co-driver(left) side both the LED and blower works perfectly. I guess maybe it is defected parts?

Finally, you may ask me how about the heating seat? For me it might be useful only for approx. 2 months each year thus it is not as crucial as seat ventilation. Moreover it is more expensive to have it enabled so I will not do it in the near future (unless VDASH team provide me special price :p)

Links:
https://d5t5.com/article/vdash-volvo-diagnostic
VDASH information

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?480025-New-S60-T6-Owner!/page8
One of a S60 owner in forum used VDASH to enable automatic lights, and it may be my next project

·
Registered
152 Posts
In short: Retrofitting ventilated seat into a less equipped car is technically possible when VDASH is used, for further information please continue reading below.
Sorry that I cannot upload and pics here

Background:
Back in 2015 I bought a 2006 built S80 3.2 (S/N: 018696) with BLIS and ventilated seat, and I enjoyed driving with it as it is robust and generally reliable. Yet in 2018/3 I came across with a 2008 T6, but less equipped(no BLIS and ventilated seat), after a test drive I've decided to get the T6. But I've been regretting with my decision as Hong Kong has a sub-tropical climate and generally hot (about +35 Celsius or +96F in summer). And my parking place is in outdoor which made my seat feels like burning stool when I start driving under the sun. So I wonder if I could get a ventilated seat and CCM module from scrapyard and have them retrofitted.

In our hometown S80 is a rare car due to expensive road taxation, and most of the S80s are least equipped(Only high performance stereo, front/rear parking sensor, Halogen lamp, etc.), and ventilated seat is as difficult as finding a cat in a black box. And I finally managed to find a scrapping Japan market S80 2014 T6 in scrapyard and had the seats and door cards migrated into my car. The interior cost appox. 400 USD and the swapping labor costed me 210 USD.
(That's why no tutorial on how to swap the seats, but swapping the door cards are said to be easy, just to be careful that the seat supports and rails may damage the door card when moving the seats into the cabin)

After transplantation I've got a notebook to install VDASH, a 3rd party software to diagnose and mainly tweak the setting of Volvo cars. Each setting change will charge at different price, depending on what has been changed. But for P3 cars a CEM PIN decoding is needed to make setting change possible. It will take approx. 12 hrs or more depends on computer speed and network speed. In my case it takes approx. 14 hrs to unlock with my old notebook.

Then it comes to the CCM module retrofit. I've ordered one from Ebay and have it shipped to Hong Kong. To remove the front console here is the link as reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Y7JbShlTw&t=120s
And I found removing the upper chrome trim the most difficult, it took me over 20 mins to have it removed completely...

So after dismantling I tried to hook up with the new unit to see if it works, after engine startup the A/C front vent closed. I was puzzled and fear that I had to get another unit from somewhere.
Since the A/C recirculation buttons differs in 2 consoles (one with simple icons and one leg at the back, another has 2 icons with "AUT" word on it, and this has 3 legs at the back), I've tried to swap the buttons between two. When I start the car again the A/C works normal. So I can go on to the setting tweaking part.

The tweak is made in VDASH>Car Configuration> Seats> Seat Ventilation>Enable, the cost of the tweak was 40 EUR as of 2019/3/30, after payment is made the software will run and re-write the CEM. This process take less than 3 minutes and the car will reboot after changes is made successfully. The clock will be reset but you can set the time in VDASH with a click.

So after starting the car I tapped on the ventilation button to see if it works, the green LED button on the right(driver) side didn't lit up, but eventually it works, and for the co-driver(left) side both the LED and blower works perfectly. I guess maybe it is defected parts?

Finally, you may ask me how about the heating seat? For me it might be useful only for approx. 2 months each year thus it is not as crucial as seat ventilation. Moreover it is more expensive to have it enabled so I will not do it in the near future (unless VDASH team provide me special price :p)

Links:
https://d5t5.com/article/vdash-volvo-diagnostic
VDASH information

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?480025-New-S60-T6-Owner!/page8
One of a S60 owner in forum used VDASH to enable automatic lights, and it may be my next project
Hey! I read your post and it looks like I'm trying to accomplish the same thing. I have a 2008 Volvo S80 3.2 (non ventilated seats but with heat option). I managed to install black leather seats from an executive model that support heating and ventilation. I also ordered and installed a used CCM unit that has the correct buttons for seat ventilation and heating. However, I quickly found out that the buttons don't work but I'm still able to enable buttons that were mapped like my old unit like the seat warmers on the right side.

Can you please advise me on how you managed to get things working? I have downloaded vdash and registered but haven't paid anything. I went to volvo and they wanted around $230 to try and reprogram the CCM and made it clear that there's a 50/50 change that it would fail.

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey! I read your post and it looks like I'm trying to accomplish the same thing. I have a 2008 Volvo S80 3.2 (non ventilated seats but with heat option). I managed to install black leather seats from an executive model that support heating and ventilation. I also ordered and installed a used CCM unit that has the correct buttons for seat ventilation and heating. However, I quickly found out that the buttons don't work but I'm still able to enable buttons that were mapped like my old unit like the seat warmers on the right side.

Can you please advise me on how you managed to get things working? I have downloaded vdash and registered but haven't paid anything. I went to volvo and they wanted around $230 to try and reprogram the CCM and made it clear that there's a 50/50 change that it would fail.

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Mike
Hello MoRf3uS,

Sorry for the late reply.

So if I understand correctly here is your situation:
1) You don't have the CEM decoded by the VDASH
2) You have the CCM installed, but only the right side of the button works, and heating still works

So in short you have to use VDASH and DICE to decode the CEM first, this step will take approx. 12-24hrs normally. After the decode is done then you can change the step as follows:
Car Configuration> Seats> Seat Ventilation>Enable
Then the ventilation shall works. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts