SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm in the market for an XC60. Demoed one with the Climate package which includes the heated steering wheel. Never thought that would be an option that I "needed" but it sure would be nice living in snow country. Several of the vehicles I'm interested in don't have the Climate package. Is it feasible to retrofit the heated steering wheel in a car that doesn't come with it? Anyone had this done by a dealer? If so what was the cost. I'm assuming the wiring is already in place and that a relay and switch would need to be added, but doubt that the heating element would be present in a standard steering wheel. If you have any information I'd appreciate hearing it. Thanks

CJ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To answer my own question, it can be done. There are instructions here: http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/XC60/InstallationInstruction/Document/VCC-418912-2/2015. It looks like the wiring harness is already present but a module needs to be added under the dash and the switch in the center console must be added. The appropriate replacement heated steering wheel is installed. The shift paddles, airbag and steering wheel switches are recycled. Then software must be downloaded/updated. Cost? I'll check with a local dealer.

CJ

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I'm seriously considering this for my XC90, good luck. Interested in seeing how it turns out and how much for installation if you don't mind sharing.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Subscribed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Another interested party here. Like the OP, there were no cars with everything I wanted PLUS Climate pkg when I bought. I was on the fence about the heated windshield, but a heated steering wheel may be a nice addition at some point. -JK

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
From what I can tell only the three-spoke wheels are available as heated but I assume that's fine. The instructions makes mentions of pre-routed connectors a lot so it seems pretty simple apart from having to get the software installed, and button in the center console.

There are a bunch of configurations. With/without heating and with/without paddle shifters. I guess that makes for a total of... five different wheels? Volvo's god some installation instructions here anyhow.
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/XC60/Accessories/Document/VCC-480595/2016
Heated wheel without paddles: http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/XC60/InstallationInstruction/Document/VCC-467652-2/2016

·
Registered
32 Posts
I, too, am interested. I'm hoping someone posts a ballpark price for a Dealer installation. Since the Remote Start is a grand or better and it's just software, I'm a little afraid of the cost for a heated steering wheel. I can buy a LOT of fur lined driving gloves for that. Ok... You got me... I wouldn't wear fur lined driving gloves... but you get my point.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Since the Remote Start is a grand or better and it's just software, I'm a little afraid of the cost for a heated steering wheel.
I only paid ~$400-450 for OEM remote starter software for my 2013 XC. From what I've read on this forum, that seems to be about the average price. Did a dealer quote you $1,000+? That's absurd.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I only paid ~$400-450 for OEM remote starter software for my 2013 XC. From what I've read on this forum, that seems to be about the average price. Did a dealer quote you $1,000+? That's absurd.
Oops... My bad. I had looked at Remote Start previously and seem to remember about a grand. Maybe I shouldn't go on memory. Lol I just called a local Dealer and was quoted $504. So... sorry for the mis-information.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I'm seriously considering this for my XC90, good luck. Interested in seeing how it turns out and how much for installation if you don't mind sharing.
Didn't someone in the XC90 forum indicate they now had the heated steering wheel after the big nov update? not sure if you got the update or not, but maybe you'll hit the lottery too.

·
Registered
489 Posts
My wife would LOVE this... had a loaner with a heated steering wheel and she hasn't stopped talking about it. Please let us know what you find out, in terms of cost.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Didn't someone in the XC90 forum indicate they now had the heated steering wheel after the big nov update? not sure if you got the update or not, but maybe you'll hit the lottery too.
Wait, what? She started out without a heated steering wheel but the dealership gave it to her retroactively?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I inquired the cost of adding a dual tone heated sport steering wheel at a Canadian Dealer (Hamilton, ON) . The parts will be around $825+tax and 3hrs labour in addition. In total approximately: $1200 CAD + tax I have to say that adding this feature is quite expensive.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Wait, what? She started out without a heated steering wheel but the dealership gave it to her retroactively?
In the XC90 2016 forum, someone started a thread indicating they had the heated steering wheel after the big nov update. The owner indicated his user interface didn't have that option before because he didn't buy it, but after the update he saw the setting in the user interface. He tried it and the steering wheel indeed heated up.

The speculation was that some/all XC90 steering wheels had the heater built in, its just disabled via software, which somehow the big update enabled for his car.

EDIT : found the thread : http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?265505-Nice-surprise-after-November-software-update&highlight=heated+steering

I doubt all steering wheels have the heater built in, but in the case of the XC90, perhaps some supply issues forced them to use the more expensive heated steering wheel on all builds until they received the non-heated ones, and the software update saw it was present for him and enabled it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've inquired about the heated steering wheel retrofit at two Volvo dealerships here in the States. The first service tech responded that the car had to be pre-wired for it implying that not all XC60's were. He claimed that the particular car I was interested in purchasing wasn't pre-wired. He did't have any idea what it would cost. Stillwaiting to hear back from the service tech at the second dealership.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For what is worth, I asked the same question to my local dealer in MN, and I was told that for a 2016 XC60 T6, replacing the steering wheel for a heated one would be $1000+tax (part and labor) or $1200+tax (part and labor) for a steering wheel with paddle. No mention on whether it needed to be pre-wired or such. On a side note, the other leadership told me that it could not be done. 0_o

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
For what is worth, I asked the same question to my local dealer in MN, and I was told that for a 2016 XC60 T6, replacing the steering wheel for a heated one would be $1000+tax (part and labor) or $1200+tax (part and labor) for a steering wheel with paddle. No mention on whether it needed to be pre-wired or such. On a side note, the other leadership told me that it could not be done. 0_o
Thanks! We'll see how cold it gets :thumbup:

·
Registered
463 Posts
I posted in another thread the cost of doing this in Ontario. It is cheaper to do it in Canada. The best price I got from a acquaintance at the dealer Ia around 950CAD plus tax at Volvo of Hamilton in Ontario (with paddle shift). If you have any questions or you want me to put you in touch with my reference guy at this dealer let me know. [email protected]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
If only they made this heated wheel in the four spoke design.

I really dislike driving the three spoke on long trips

1 - 20 of 23 Posts