SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new here

As both of my headlamp units need replacing I'm considering replacing them with the the units from the R models. Now, I'm no technical whizz but if I'm thinking that if I fit the lights and use a HID retrofit kit then I wont get any warning lights come up as that would just be the same as fitting HIDs to the standard units.

Do you see any flaw to my logic?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Yes
They will not fit
They will not work even if you could make them fit without a ton of work, the CEM will not recognize them
Next, they SUCK
Do some reading about R headlights, no high beam to speak of

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
You can make them work. You well need to do some rewiring. R headlamps are expensive. Rs have a integrated hi and low beam in one housing. I am not sure if the headlamps are a direct fit into regular s or v series car. They sure do look the same. I personally have not taken it out to compare.

If I had to do it, I am sure I can make them work without any problems. Just some wire magic.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
They don't physically fit and you're missing the point, they're JUNK!
Better to go with an aftermarket HID kit

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
I wouldn't even go with aftermarket HID's. 99% of these are poorly aimed to begin with.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Do you see any flaw to my logic?
yup several,

1. if your car is 01-04 it will need a BOW eliminator since HID draw is only 35W.
2. wiring will not match, you'll have to splice
3. as JRL mentioned, the output of the R headlights is crap. There are people on the R forum actually doing projector retrofits into their stock R lights in order to get decent output. That's how bad the stock ones are.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys, I really like the look of the R headlights especially with the projectors but agree it really isn't sensible to spend so much money on lights that really rent that great.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i dont know why JRL is saying that they wont physically fit. they will. the only thing that makes R headlights unique is the bezel color (silver) they came in black on V70's S60's and XC70's with factory bi-xenon. there is no unique bumper required to fit these.

Example:
working on a factory V70 bumper

working on an R bumper

Now i am sure there is a difference in the wiring harness as far as going from non HID to HID that requires dealer maintenance, but as far as the physical light goes, it will fit no problem.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I was told they were different (size) guess not

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Jim, if you not sure you should say that. You should not say they wont fit when YOU dont really know for sure. You taking someone elses word that they will not physically fit.

You are old skool Volvo man, you are respected here. You gave such a strong opinion on it the topic and then come to find out you are wrong and know nothing about the topic besides hearsay.

It just degrades your reputation. I never would have expected this from you, but i am learning something new every day.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Jim, if you not sure you should say that. You should not say they wont fit when YOU dont really know for sure. You taking someone elses word that they will not physically fit.

You are old skool Volvo man, you are respected here. You gave such a strong opinion on it the topic and then come to find out you are wrong and know nothing about the topic besides hearsay.

It just degrades your reputation. I never would have expected this from you, but i am learning something new every day.
Wow.
Time to pop some popcorn.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
The exterior is physically identical, size, shape, and mounting points. The electrical is different though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
R stock headlights are crazy expensive :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, thanks for all of the advice.

I've decided not to go with the R headlights as they are expensive and not that great from what people say.

Instead I am going with exactly what ss60 has done to his. S60 light, Morimoto projectors and clear lenses. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?167226-Bi-Xenon-projector-retrofit-in-a-20004-S60-install-thread The only difference I may make is to spray the bezels silver the same as the R models. The only reason being I prefer the silver to the black look.

Will keep you posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts