SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does this red message mean appearing every time I start the Sensus ?

·
Registered
543 Posts
It is supposed to be like Shazam on your phone

I'm also interested to see how this works.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no Shazam on my phone :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
as far as I remember, the Sensus hard disk comes with a preinstalled Gracenote database. The application (e.g., iPod) wants to display the album cover of the track being played and uses the db to get the info; why the programmers decided to share that with an extra message I don't know. There are a few user interface decisions in the car that are a little puzzling :D BTW If you are online the db should update itself. Never checked that side though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
as far as I remember, the Sensus hard disk comes with a preinstalled Gracenote database. The application (e.g., iPod) wants to display the album cover of the track being played and uses the db to get the info; why the programmers decided to share that with an extra message I don't know. There are a few user interface decisions in the car that are a little puzzling :D BTW If you are online the db should update itself. Never checked that side though.
Also - my own experiments with a VERY-carefully-tagged collection of music (including album art) is that the doofuses go to the GraceNote DB EVEN WHEN the information is already embedded in the file and they don't need Gracenote for anything. Really screws the "Genre" tag especially, but also other things as well.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I find this annoying as well but only time I have this problem is when I am streaming via bluetooth. When I use a USB drive, it reads the metadata that I have embedded in each music file and comes up correctly each time and bypasses Gracenote. You would think they would only utilize Gracenote when there is no track info available.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I find this annoying as well but only time I have this problem is when I am streaming via bluetooth. When I use a USB drive, it reads the metadata that I have embedded in each music file and comes up correctly each time and bypasses Gracenote. You would think they would only utilize Gracenote when there is no track info available.
I thought that too - but at the very least they are not using the Genre tag properly. It is pretty clear that
A) The car is NOT applying the same genre to the tracks that are embedded in them and
B) The genres that ARE being applied are logical to a degree and "smell" just like GraceNote genres.

I have files tagged with Genres like "Instrumental Rock" and "Progressive Rock" and "Classic Jazz" and "Modern Jazz" and "Fusion". These are coming up as simply "Rock" and "Jazz" on Sensus. I don't even use the "classical" genre - my "classical" music is things like "Symphonic" or "Wind Ensembles and Bands" or "Chamber Music," but all of these tracks are displaying as "Classical" in Sensus. My library is simply too large to apply the generic "Rock", "Pop", "Jazz", "Classical", "Country" genres and get any value from the tag. MOST (not all) of my other tools and players handle this as one might expect - deriving the list of genres directly from the embedded tags in the song collection just like it does of the artist list. But Sensus is clearly applying a generic tag of some kind and it is also clearly the "right" generic tag to some degree. Where is that generic tag coming from? My guess (and it is a guess) is Gracenote.

You will also note the fact that every track in my collection has Artist, Album, Album Artist, Composer (where applicable), Genre, Track Number, Track count, Disk number, Disk count, Compilation flag (yes/no), album art and other embedded tags populated (I have tools that I can use to batch check this regularly and I immediately remediate upon discovering any anomalies) - and yet I still see the Gracenote message on Sensus when playing these tracks.

So while it is not a certainty, the simplest explanation for the behavior I am seeing is that Sensus is going to GraceNote even when it does not need to do so and is ignoring at least one (and perhaps more) of the embedded tags in the process.

·
Registered
427 Posts
So while it is not a certainty, the simplest explanation for the behavior I am seeing is that Sensus is going to GraceNote even when it does not need to do so and is ignoring at least one (and perhaps more) of the embedded tags in the process.
wow, I envy your tagged collection :D I believe the gracenote DB is accessed to retrieve the cover art for possible display in the application window. The skipping over existing tags is sort of weird ... if available they should be used. It looks like the retrieval process is a bit grabby and gets more that what it should take.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But the basic question still is: What is "gracenote", what "track" is it retrieving and why ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gracenote is not retrieving any album art when I play music from my library on my iPhone via Bluetooth. Can anyone help me out? Am I missing anything? The car is connected to the internet. Do I need to change the way my music files are worded?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've found that there's no way to turn it off completely, but there is an option in the menu which tells it not to overwrite the existing metadata. It seems to work for me. Initially, it was messing up all my tags, splitting albums into multiple albums because the "Contributing Artist" was different, etc.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The Gracenote message has been an annoyance since getting the XC90. It even displays when no playback device is attached. I haven't found a way to disable it either, though it eventually does go away.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
The Gracenote message has been an annoyance since getting the XC90. It even displays when no playback device is attached. I haven't found a way to disable it either, though it eventually does go away.
Does its, 3-second appearance, really annoy you?

·
Registered
169 Posts
No, I just wrote that because I knew it would get a rise out of you. ;)

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yet, Sirius XM shows no album art at all via Sensus.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts