SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a real inconvience to hit both these forums; these cars share alot of the same mechanicals therefore much of the information is relavent to both types. In addition, most experienced posters state their model year anyway so the separate forum is a little superfulous.

Like your sister site Audiworld, there is no breakdown between A6 4.2,A6 2.7, S6, etc., it makes it a much more enjoyable, simpler surfing experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The New V70 is in fact a totally different car...
Other design, reviewed engines, other platform, ...
Making this distinction does make sense I think.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I agree with Frank, that there are more differences than similarities. Really, the only thing the two models share is a VERY similar engine. Everything else is new for 2001, so there is VERY little crossover of information in the two forums.

- Darell

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
That was our thinking as well. The older 70-series shares more with the 850, though there's enough difference there that we wanted to separate as well. It may look like a little much now, but as traffic ramps up, it makes more sense.

For the A6, all of the cars share the same platform. That's not so here.

Still, I am not big on the "old" and "new" tags. I've never really liked that and have been trying to think of something different. I know in the VW realm, some people refer to the different generations of Golf as Mark I, Mark II etc., so we could call them the S70/V70 Mk I, and the V70 Mk 2, followed by years of production in the description. I don't know, I'm open to suggestions here.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I agree that "old" and "new" can lead to some hurt feelings. Some aftermarket suppliers are designating the "new" V70 as "V70N"

The only way around this might be to simply list the model years in the description (2001-on for "new").

But PLEASE leave them seperated (as I think you will). I fought hard to have this distinction made on VolvoSpy, and it helped quite a bit, though some members felt that same pang of "crap, now I have an 'old' car."

- Darell

·
Registered
528 Posts
Pure -

Nope. I'm not a mod on Vspy...just a concerned citizen.

And thanks for not calling my time "free time" or "spare time" like most people assume. My time is very expensive, I never have any to spare, and it is totally my own to spend. Plus, like everyone else I know, I only have 24 hours of it each day, unfortunately.

- Darell

[This message has been edited by darell (edited 05-21-2001).]

·
Registered
69 Posts
how about just calling them "Generation I", "Gen II", etc. as is done with RX-7s, Mustangs, and others?

no implied age-isim that way; nobody gets their feathers ruffled about feeling like somebody is looking down on their "old one"... rather, just a reflection of their natural progression.

cheers!
e

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by ernest:
how about just calling them "Generation I", "Gen II", etc. as is done with RX-7s, Mustangs, and others?
That sounds like the best solution.

-Drew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts