SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC60 Momentum T6
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my XC60 for 3.5 months. When the engine is shut off, the radio continues playing until the driver door is opened. When I have the key FOB with me and open the driver door, the dash and centre control panel become active....all normal behaviour. Today the following oddity happened. The key fob was in the house, more than 20 feet from the car as per usual. The car was unlocked in the garage. I opened the rear driver side door to put an item on the seat, closed the door and walked away. A few seconds later I hear the radio playing. I have done this same thing before and the radio has never started playing. After about 10 minutes I returned to the car and the radio was still playing. I opened and closed the driver door and the radio continued. I opened the door, sat in the driver seat, got out of the car and closed the door and the radio continued. I turned the engine start/stop button once....radio continued. I went into the house, retrieved the FOB and returned to the car. Opened & shut the driver door and the radio continued. Finally I started the car and then shut it off, opened the driver door and finally the radio stopped. I have opened the doors many times previously without having the FOB on me and the radio has never started playing. Any idea what is happening?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Just lock it next time - the radio will immediately turn OFF. No need to open/close doors or start it.

I've had similar encounters when I leave it unlocked and wash it. It appears to be a startup race condition when the car is sitting unlocked for a period of time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a work around but I don't want to lock the car when it is parked in the garage. I want to be able to get into the car without having to go and retrieve the FOB to unlock it. Obviously something is amiss since this is the first time it has happened in the time I have had it and I go into the car frequently to retrieve items, etc.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
That's a work around but I don't want to lock the car when it is parked in the garage. I want to be able to get into the car without having to go and retrieve the FOB to unlock it.
You're opposed to locking your car in your garage...because, you need the key fob to drive it, regardless? Alright, then you'll continue encountering this.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
You don’t need to press any buttons on the remote to open the door. Just lock it and when you’re ready to leave stick your hand in to open it.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The radio will turn off several minutes after you close the door. If you can live with that, no need to lock the doors.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions but they don't really answer the problem I've encountered. I've had the car for 3.5 months and every time I have turned off the engine the audio system continues to play just as it is supposed to but as soon as I open the driver's door, the audio system stops immediately...not a few minutes after I close the driver's door and I never had to lock the door to get it to stop. Today however I did NOT have the FOB on me, the doors had been unlocked since yesterday and all I did was open the rear door for a couple of seconds and then close it and suddenly the audio system starts playing. I've done this many times before and the audio system never started playing. It should not do this when the REAR doors are opened. And it did not stop playing after a few minutes....I came back to the car over 10 minutes later and the audio system was still playing. I went and got the FOB, started the engine, stopped the engine, opened the driver's door and then the audio system stopped.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
FYI can open other doors as well as trunk doors without activating the radio
Only the driver's door when opened, activates the radio

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FYI can open other doors as well as trunk doors without activating the radio
Only the driver's door when opened, activates the radio
Yes that is exactly how my XC60 worked for 3.5 months until this weirdness happened a couple days ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Retained Accessory Power

Thanks for posting this Countryguy

I've had my Volvo since March 2018 and have about 20,000km (12,500 miles) on it. I have also experienced this change in accessory power with the radio coming on when I open the door (with and without the fob). At the same time it was forgetting the connection to my phone so I would have to reconnect it each time I got in. Annoying but not bad enough to take it in for servicing. I then began to get power save mode battery notices. The notices went away when I turned on the car so I didn't think too much of it. I then got a reduced engine performance message once but that went away next time I turned the Volvo back on. I finally booked it in for servicing after it didn't start one morning. That morning I got in and turned the switch and there was nothing but blackness on all the screens. Luckily I have a mobile jump starter and that got things going. Curiously enough after I had to jump it the radio no longer came on when I opened the door and Sensus remembered my phone when I got it. At the shop they pulled a couple of error codes ECM-P0DF400 and IEM-P0A1B47. They upgraded the software in the car and tested related modules and drove it to see if any of the codes returned. Things have been running smoothly for the past few weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts