SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello My Fellow Volvo Owners! :partywave:

I just bought a wreck of a P80 V70 AWD. I really wanted another station wagon, and I never owned a Volvo, let alone a Volvo wagon. I figured how can it go wrong-oh yes it did and still is. Here is a list of things that have been done and things that need to be done to it:

My Volvo P80 V70 AWD 2.4 Rebuild/Build
----Bought for $600 in October 2015
Performed
Transmission Rebuild: $2800
Angle Gear Rebuild/Used Angle Gear: $650 w/o labor
Tune-Up (Fuel Filter, Plugs, Cap, Rotor, Wires): $150 self-installed
New Rotors/Pads: $200 self-installed
Center Console w/Accessories: $20 self-installed
Repaired Stock Head Unit: $25 self-repaired
Dash Lights: $36 self-repaired
All New Dash Switches: $10 self-installed
Cabin Filter: $15
Air Filter: $15
Thermostat: $0
Coolant Temperature Sensor: $38
Volvo S90 Wheels and Kuhmo 205/55R16 Tires: $200

Need to Perform
2.3 Exhaust Manifold w/Turbo
2.3 Exhaust Manifold Gasket
2.4 N/A Intake Manifold
960 N/A Throttle Body
960 N/A Throttle Plate
2.4 Intake Manifold Gasket
Crankshaft Seal (Front)
Timing Belt, Tensioner, Water Pump
Upgraded Intercooler
Upgraded Intercooler Piping
Upgraded Air Intake Piping
Cold Air Intake
Turbo-Back Exhaust
Rear Differential Rebuild (right rear axle has play in one of side gears)
Rear Axles
Parking Brakes w/Shoes
Front Seats
Rear Seats
All Door Panels
Rear Hatch Panel
New MP3 Capable Head Unit
Sunroof Seal

I just wanted to know what else I should to do this since I've never owned a Volvo before and I only really worked on Volkswagen's and GM's as a tech. I'm starting to get familiar to this car because it reminds me of a Volkswagen in a weird way, but it's still a strange creature. So if anyone can give me a hand, I would appreciate it so much.

Thank you everyone!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Don't do a cold air intake and instead do the pcv :) otherwise..... Good luck lol

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've been doing the same on mine since I bought it in September of last year.

I would personally set aside some funds for the suspension and steering components before some of those other things, but that's me. :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
All of the 1998 turbo cars used the same exhaust manifold so a "2.3" mani isn't an upgrade, assuming that's what you're referring to. You want an R manifold or "Japanifold" from a newer Volvo if you're looking for something better than stock.

As for the rest of it, I agree with zhenya - definitely spend some money on the suspension before you do anything else. These cars drive so much better when everything in the front suspension is fresh, and you'll definitely notice anything worn out once you start adding power.

·
Registered
17,311 Posts
NA intake will be a waste of time, unless you have it off already for some reason, like, oh, pcv service? What you gain at low RPM you loose at higher rpm. plus its already a 2.4l block with higher compression. Do do the 16t upgrade, but use a 99+ angle housing. flows better. Also you'll want a 98 T5 auto ecu for that setup. I have one. And went to school at Lehigh in bethlehem and will probably be out there this coming or next weekend.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Don't do a cold air intake, do a Snabb inlet pipe with the stock airbox. Only do a cold air intake after literally everything else is done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to add that as well...

I've been doing the same on mine since I bought it in September of last year.

I would personally set aside some funds for the suspension and steering components before some of those other things, but that's me. :)
After I posted this, I forgot to add that I needed to do the rear struts, rear springs, front struts, front springs, and all the sway bar end links. Possibly thicker sway bars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All of the 1998 turbo cars used the same exhaust manifold so a "2.3" mani isn't an upgrade, assuming that's what you're referring to. You want an R manifold or "Japanifold" from a newer Volvo if you're looking for something better than stock.

As for the rest of it, I agree with zhenya - definitely spend some money on the suspension before you do anything else. These cars drive so much better when everything in the front suspension is fresh, and you'll definitely notice anything worn out once you start adding power.
Like what year Volvo are we talking about? 2001 or newer? The only reason I was saying a 2.3 turbo manifold was because there is a Saffron V70R being parted out by me that I might snag it from.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies, by the way...

Thanks for the replies everyone. I forgot to add that I needed to do the front/rear struts and springs, sway bars, sway bar end links, and probably a rear differential rebuild. Does anyone know of a website to sell a rear differential rebuild kit, or do I have to go to the dealership to get the parts. I mean, I'm not really coming up with anything right now for rear differential parts. I know the differential is on its way out because it's whining, there is new fluid in it, and there is a horrendous noise when I turn left slowly coming from the rear axles.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Like what year Volvo are we talking about? 2001 or newer? The only reason I was saying a 2.3 turbo manifold was because there is a Saffron V70R being parted out by me that I might snag it from.
99 and up should have the japanifold, which is a huge improvement over the prior version in both flow and cracking. The 04 to 07 R manifold is the best, and it came on all 2.5L motors newer than 04. But a Japanifold is about 95% as good from what I've read.

Here's pictures and info: http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/169486-japanifold-vs-r-manifold-revisited/

·
Registered
17,311 Posts
Either exhaust manifold will be an improvement. You will loose the unique 5 cylinder burble that the japanifold and stock 98 manifold create if you go with the 2004+ one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm doing the same to a 2000 V70 XC with a 2.4 LPT right now.

Already did the front Lower Control arms, Ball joints. IPD Subframe Inserts, and Front Sway bar End Links. Two new tires. IPD Silicone TCV Hoses.

Still needs a front CV joint for the Driveshaft. Brakes all the way around, and Front Struts. But I love the car!!! The Visibility is SPECTACULAR!!

I have a 2002 C70 HPT and I can't see out of the damn thing when I change lanes!!!!

And the AWD Wagon will turn circles around the FWD Coupe!!!!

Keep us posted!!!

JetPaul

ATL, GA

·
Registered
17,311 Posts
I'm doing the same to a 2000 V70 XC with a 2.4 LPT right now.

Already did the front Lower Control arms, Ball joints. IPD Subframe Inserts, and Front Sway bar End Links. Two new tires. IPD Silicone TCV Hoses.

Still needs a front CV joint for the Driveshaft. Brakes all the way around, and Front Struts. But I love the car!!! The Visibility is SPECTACULAR!!

I have a 2002 C70 HPT and I can't see out of the damn thing when I change lanes!!!!

And the AWD Wagon will turn circles around the FWD Coupe!!!!

Keep us posted!!!

JetPaul

ATL, GA
I seriously hope your other two tires were brand new and of the same model otherwise your AWD system is already dead if youve driven it more than up and down the driveway. P80 AWD is viscous coupling based and depends on a very close relationship between front and rear tire rotation to not bind and stress your VC and angle gear.

Your 2002 C70 HPT is literally the same front end as your 2000 XC and has the same turning radius. What size tires are you running on the C70?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts