SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice. Can I diy restore my 16" comets? What's the story with the plasti-dip process I seem to see? Or is that not for wheels? What else can be done? Honestly, I'm totally out of the know, and figured I'd ask you folks. Mine are the bright finish and its peeling like they all do. While 17" comets would be neat, I'm ok with the 16's and sits well on my p80 with ipd springs. Thanks.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Of course you can DIY restore your wheels! Are they curb-rashed or is the paint just bad?

You can Plasti-Dip but it's not as durable as paint and I don't think they look as good especially if you use flat black like every other schmuck out there. There are some decent other colors to choose from besides black though, so if you want to do a little less work Plasti Dip can be a good option.

I prefer to paint them, and if you take your time sanding the old finish, filling in curb rash with JB Weld or similar, prime, paint, then clear coat you can bring them back to good as new. I like Duplicolor's wheel specific rattle can clear coat. In my experiences it sheds brake dust better than other rattle can clears I have tried. Go crazy on the base coat color, though.

If the tires are still on, you can get a deck of playing cards, stuff them into the crack between wheel and tire, tape them all together and you can transfer your "paint mask wheel of cards" to each other wheel.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes all four curb rashed pretty bad by PO. I can repair that with some bondo I think. Just want the wheel to look nicer than it does now. Thank you for advice. I'd prefer the same factory like aluminum/silver color. Is that achievable with rattle cans? Plasti-dip or just prime/paint? Seeking diy option of course.

·
Registered
99 Posts
id suggest JB weld over the bondo. I also used the duplicolor wheel clear coat and had good results. When your done with whatever your doing with the JB weld, sand with p400 grit before painting. 2 coats primer, sand out anything else you see, then 2-3 coats color, 2-3 coats clear.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yeah I'd say avoid the Bondo, too. I don't have any scientific proof, but I don't think it would be as good on a wheel as something really designed to hold things together.

When you walk into Autozone or other auto parts store, go to the paint section and you will see that Duplicolor has 4 wheel specific paint cans. Black, Gunmetal, Hyper Silver, and clear coat. Hyper silver looks exactly like an OEM silver finish if that's what you're going for, but man, I would highly encourage you to go for the gunmetal. I've done several sets in that color and they look fantastic. A little more aggressive than stock but not as overly aggressive as black.

If you decide to plasti dip, you could avoid the priming and clear coating but you'd still need the curb rash filling and tire masking. Though this is an easier quick fix and perfectly fine for wheels, i don't think it's as durable or good-looking as painting them.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Counterpoint... I would go with silver Duplicolor over the gunmetal. I have a set of Meteors (16" Comets) that are gunmetal and I think they are too dark. You lose a good deal of detail on the wheel. I am going to be painting mine silver when I get a chance. Obviously mine need paint as they are chipping too.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Counterpoint... I would go with silver Duplicolor over the gunmetal. I have a set of Meteors (16" Comets) that are gunmetal and I think they are too dark. You lose a good deal of detail on the wheel. I am going to be painting mine silver when I get a chance. Obviously mine need paint as they are chipping too.

Yeah I do not like this color. --->
Thanks much for posting. I will go with the other color he mentioned above for closer to the factory finish look.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah I'd say avoid the Bondo, too. I don't have any scientific proof, but I don't think it would be as good on a wheel as something really designed to hold things together.

When you walk into Autozone or other auto parts store, go to the paint section and you will see that Duplicolor has 4 wheel specific paint cans. Black, Gunmetal, Hyper Silver, and clear coat. Hyper silver looks exactly like an OEM silver finish if that's what you're going for, but man, I would highly encourage you to go for the gunmetal. I've done several sets in that color and they look fantastic. A little more aggressive than stock but not as overly aggressive as black.

If you decide to plasti dip, you could avoid the priming and clear coating but you'd still need the curb rash filling and tire masking. Though this is an easier quick fix and perfectly fine for wheels, i don't think it's as durable or good-looking as painting them.
I plasti dipped winter steelies I had on my previous car and even after wire wheeling the rust it looks pretty uneven. Not a big deal on steelies, but lesson learned that there's no point skimping on prep work, even if its PD.

Question, we have duplicolor at Canadian Tire also, does gunmetal look more or less like the 850R wheel color?

Anyone gone with a matte topcoat?

I'm curious to know what matte topcoat on gunmetal would look like. Would it just be a brake dust magnet?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts

I think they look ok, a little more visually interesting than regular stock being the upshot

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I think they look dull and I think black and grey painted wheels are a bit played out, which I can say because they are mine. The lighter grey/anthracite looks great, but the color on mine is too dark. I think silver looks better on these wheels specifically because you can see more of the detail. Grey just hides it all. When I bought these wheels they were already painted and I didn't realize they were so dark. Not a big deal to change them, so I don't really mind.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm thinking of keeping my summer wheels which are the same as yours stock color and then doing the winter wheels which are more different 6 spoke wheels in white perhaps because they have a lot of curb rash that I will need to repair and repaint anyway

·
Registered
240 Posts
Anthracite on a silver car looks the business!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ok so I just got done restoring my Cetus 6 spoke wheels, decided to be bold and get the stormtrooper thing out of my system and painted em white. Deal with it. Used duplicolor white wheel paint over regular primer and made several mistakes:

1. No need to sandblast or sand down to bare metal, evening out the paint that's already there provides you with a good thick base. Mine have unevenness due to some hard to remove old paint residue (the oem paint is stupendously thick)

2. I used no less than three bloody cans of white and almost two cans of clear coat and yet when putting the wheel lugs on by accidentally touching the Lug wrench to the wheel a a couple of times the paint chipped right off (even after 36 hrs of curing time it's not enough, they need 4-7 days which I did not have)

3. If I were to do it again I would simply prime, then sand (which I forgot to do because I foolishly though it looks fine, imperfections came out in the base colour) and then plastidip because it's a properly durable wheel coating and the application process is relatively idiot proof.

I managed not to get any paint drips, but I think the paint went on too thin and is delicate now.

You live you learn. I'm not too torn up about it because they were just included with the secondhand V70 that I bought. Will likely not be using duplicolor wheel paint again though. It was an extremely time consuming and aggravating experience. They look decent from afar though, and heaps better than the stained ones looked before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
538 Posts
Need advice. Can I diy restore my 16" comets? What's the story with the plasti-dip process I seem to see? Or is that not for wheels? What else can be done? Honestly, I'm totally out of the know, and figured I'd ask you folks. Mine are the bright finish and its peeling like they all do. While 17" comets would be neat, I'm ok with the 16's and sits well on my p80 with ipd springs. Thanks.
Hey Paul -

I am assuming you are in Washington state??? If so, if you are close to the BC border and want world-class (car show quality) restoration of your Comets and are able to invest a bit of $$, I would recommend Panther Wheels in Surrey, BC http://www.pantherwheels.ca/ - about 15 minutes north of the Blaine border crossing. They restored my PO-rashed Medusa's last spring to a 'like new' finish for a bit over $100 per wheel and also corrected a small bend in one. The customer service was excellent as was the final product. With the US/CDN dollar exchange rate you will likely save an additional 30% on the final bill. Best of luck!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Paul -

I am assuming you are in Washington state??? If so, if you are close to the BC border and want world-class (car show quality) restoration of your Comets and are able to invest a bit of $$, I would recommend Panther Wheels in Surrey, BC http://www.pantherwheels.ca/ - about 15 minutes north of the Blaine border crossing. They restored my PO-rashed Medusa's last spring to a 'like new' finish for a bit over $100 per wheel and also corrected a small bend in one. The customer service was excellent as was the final product. With the US/CDN dollar exchange rate you will likely save an additional 30% on the final bill. Best of luck!
Yes. I will chk this out. Thank you! I actually now also have six Propus wheels. Beautiful faces, lip rashes, and at least two have minor bends. Sounds like a great price. I was willing to pay $100 ea just for straightening.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've now got four perfect propus wheels (straightened and lip rashes cleaned). My local guy now has powdercoat equip. Price is 100 per wheel - the entire wheel including walnut blasting.

But since I've got a good set of tires through Fall, I'm going to krypton the faces and run them, I think? Would the bright silver mentioned above work well? Stock color of wheel is more gray, less silver, is why I ask. I do not want the dark gray shown in pics above. My wagon is 601 red. Any examples out there or advice appreciated.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Post pictures when you get the Propus mounted, those are such a good looking wheel. I was going to recommend a wheel restoration shop too, we have one here called Spec Wheel that charges $115 per wheel no matter what. They just amortize the cost across all wheels they repair. Just paint? $115. Welding chunks of metal in and machining it, then painting? $115. Plus, lifetime warranty on the finish.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey Paul - I'm over in Bellevue and re-doing the White '98 T5M I bought back in Feb (I think I remember your Blue T5M selling on CL last year?). I am in need of refinishing a set of five 17x7.5 Comets and possibly a set of Meteors as well. I looked at the place in kirkland in person as well as a shop in Seattle and Issaquah - they all seem like they do good work and know their stuff, and they are all $150 per wheel using the special Volvo #936 SilverBright Metalic paint that's crazy expensive. I'm going to call that place up in BC to make sure they'd use that paint as well (to me that makes a huge difference!!) and if they do, and the price is $100 CDN ($70 USD) per wheel that a great deal.

If you want, maybe one of us can run them up and the other guy can pick them up, makes if only one trip each!! ? although, not sure how that would look to the border guys coming over with up to 13 wheels then some other guy coming to pick them up... but...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
While Surey sounds good, I have a local guy south of you called Performance Wheel Straightening who does killer work just a few mi from my place. He also now powdercoats with the full blown setup in his shop. That's where I'll be going for the latter. Already did the former as I said. Yes, that was my blue ST5M. That was a rotted out rust bucket from Vermont. Never again.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just called the place in BC, they start at $175 per wheel, but he said most of them are closer to $200-$225 if there is curb rash... so they are out...
How much does performance wheel straitening charge, $150 like the others places??

Well, then I'm glad I didn't buy your rotted out rust bucket!! ;-)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts