SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to keep this thread here for restoration of Ida & Ingrid, both '64 122S wagons.

Ida

Ingrid

Both girls are already rust repaired. They'll both end up as the were originally, pearl white with red interior, albert mirrors, and with the original accessory 4-post roof rack.
http://www.volvoamazonpictures.se/bros/pdf_1_13/amazon_bros_5.pdf

Ingrid is currently at a painter on the West Coast, and Ida is here on the East Coast, but will be heading for the painter in August/September.

Both girls will be coming back to me for final assembly sometime around new years. In the meantime I'm overhauling seat frames, all loose metal pieces, heaters, radiators, fuel pumps, SU's, and all the chrome parts from these cars, and 1 more. There's quite a pile of metal to be dispersed. Thankfully where i live there are quite good vendors for everything that needs to be done to the loose parts, so the only items that will need to be shipped off are the items to be chromed.

Current questions:
  • How does one remove the rear view mirror from it's backing without damaging the mirror itself. Would it be safe to use a glue solvent such as one can use to take headlights apart?
  • Has anyone gone into the trouble of actually having whole steering wheels fixed up, if so where and to what extent was it done. I can buy decent ones from Sweden (they burn up less there than here) but I've already got about 5 with steel spokes, and 6 steel-frame-with-plastic-spokes, so there's no shortage of steering wheels.
  • I met a guy in ´65 122S wagon in Maine once coming down from Canada in my ´64 sedan, and he'd sent seatbelts in to a company called ssnakeoyl for replacement of web and restoration of claws. A german guy I know of did the same, but also put a intertia roll on the seatbelts, to get the best of both worlds so to speak. Anyone have comments on that?
  • Where can I send instrument clusters for speedo calibration?

List of companies I'm using:
Soda blasting, glass bead blasting, and powder coating: Final Touch Powder Coating http://www.finaltouchpowdercoating.com/
Metal plating: Surtronics http://www.surtronics.com/
Seat belt restoration: http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/
Chroming: S&H Chrome Plating http://www.s-hchrome.com
Interior work: Auto Interiors & Tops http://www.autointeriorsandtops.com/
Most new replacement parts: VP Autoparts http://www.vp-autoparts.com
Enhancement parts: IPD http://www.ipdusa.com
Used parts and NOS: All over.

·
Registered
137 Posts
When you ask about restoring the steering wheel, is it fixing cracks in the wheel, or ...? I know of a guy that used a type of epoxy or filler of some sort to fill in the cracks, and then used ultrafine sandpaper to smooth it out. End product looked perfect. If that's what you want to do I can try to track down the thread.

As for seatbelts, I was recommended to use these as an upgrade to the fixed belts:

http://www.partstrain.com/store/det...cation=Front-comma-_Driver_And_Passenger_Side

They're sort of a universal style and I'm sure they take some modification to make everything work perfectly, but I don't trust the 45 year old webbing in my car and while it'd be cool to have the original belts restored, my car is already not period correct. I think this is one situation where I'd be willing to have some modern safety instead. But that's just me. I think someone can probably get you modern webbing that replicates the original material, so you can keep using the original-style belt hardware.

Don't have any advice on the rest. Keep us posted, looks like a nice restoration project!

·
Registered
857 Posts
[*]Where can I send instrument clusters for speedo calibration?
http://nsifleet.com/home.html

I mostly support this guy because he's local, but I have heard great things about him and he's been rebuilding gauges for a long time. A friend of mine had some early MGB gauges refurbished and they were perfect. I believe he specializes in VDO too, but pretty much rebuilds any of them.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Where in NC are you?

PM, if you understandably don't want the world to know...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
857 Posts
No, that's where the parts car I looked at 2 days ago is. I'm around the southern part of Raleigh.

I know there's a few other Amazon's out here. A guy in San Francisco, which I bought my '64 sedan from, sold his other Amazon sedan to Goldsboro, and then there's a guy down in Clayton that is restoring/building up with a Amazon sedan with his son.

And I've spotted a couple of 123GT's running around as well.
Awesome! I used to live in South Raleigh, right off of Wilmington St. near the huge cemetery in a little neighborhood over there.

That was before I had any interest in Volvos though. Hard to imagine a time like that now.

Sent using Tapatalk 2.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Interesting color on that parts car. I had never seen an Amazon in this brown color (unless its the rust that makes it look brown ;) ). Could that have been the original color?

BTW, remember a discussion we had about crush worthiness a while back? Look at the stripped picture of the car in the beginning of this thread. You will see the folds or "nerves" that the sheet metal in the inner fender and front passenger compartment designed to strengthen the body. This works together with the thick sheet metal. You can also see the reinforcements on the roof, which connect the two B-pillars and C-pillars. This works together with the thick metal, high roof curvature, and small windows, to give the Amazon exceptional strength, for the size of the car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting color on that parts car. I had never seen an Amazon in this brown color (unless its the rust that makes it look brown ;) ). Could that have been the original color?

BTW, remember a discussion we had about crush worthiness a while back? Look at the stripped picture of the car in the beginning of this thread. You will see the folds or "nerves" that the sheet metal in the inner fender and front passenger compartment designed to strengthen the body. This works together with the thick sheet metal. You can also see the reinforcements on the roof, which connect the two B-pillars and C-pillars. This works together with the thick metal, high roof curvature, and small windows, to give the Amazon exceptional strength, for the size of the car.
No, all the wagons (including the parts car) were originally Volvo #79 Pearl White with interior 508-255 (Red). the brown is someone's later paintjob.

Yes there's plenty of strength and force dispursement build into the front end.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Got home today after a worktrip. Found some treasures that had been delivered in the past week by UPS and USPS. Dash extension pair from a '62, pair of fender mirrors and newly stamped typeplates.

Got brand new typeplates that will eventually end up on my cars from Jos Willemsen in the Netherlands. He sells a few items at www.wilpac.nl.

Sent them to Al Backeast at www.datatags.com and got him to reverse stamp them as the originals. Most of them have some serious issues like holes, new ones look so nice. Typeface is very similar, and the character height is .2 millimeters off, but that's close enough.

The original and the reproduction are obviously not for the same vehicle. The original belongs to a scrapped parts wagon, and the other one to an Amazon I have overseas.

Moved a drivetrain, and some other miscellaneous steel bits to my workshop today. Murderous to be doing that in 90°+ and 65% humidity.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
First picture of Ingrid getting painted. The front doors after getting repainted in Pärlvit.

Today it's 3° hotter than hell here, so I won't be doing anything useful for the Amazon's this weekend, except maybe unpacking parts here at home and sorting metal for plating.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The little update.

Went on a 10 day vacation, so not much done:

• Gathered together and sorted parts from a '63 sedan for powdercoating, chroming, plating, etc.
  • Got the last overdrive transmission on my wishlist. Now set for life.
  • Separated 3 sets of front seats into bare components so that they can be dealt with later.
  • Got prepared to turn 2 '64 wagons into a pile of parts and scrap metal in the next 3 weekends.
  • Had 5 heater cores inspected and tested, and subsequently 4 repaired and cleaned up. The 5th one will be a good model for making a AC evaporator core (although too poor to repair)
  • Shipped off 4 sun visors to a vinyl fabrication company to use as templates for remaking those as original. Excited about that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The engineer in me thinks this is the greatest thing ever. A color specification chart for painting battleships, courtesy of the German Kriegsmarine.

Look at where it says "Colour Chart"(Yes UK spelling)

I'm going to recreate it for my cars, but here are the colors I'm thinking of standardizing on, as closest possible to original:
  • Body Color - RAL1013 (Pearl White - Equivalent)
  • Body Color - RAL7024 (Graphite Gray - Equivalent)
  • Engine, Gearbox - Bengal Red
  • Heater Housings - RAL7001 (Silver Gray)
  • Grille mesh - Bengal Silver (Silver, not same as "Silver Gray")
  • All Black Components - Bengal Black
  • Front Crossmember - RAL6019 (Pastel Green/Blue/Gray, close to all my crossmembers)

All these colors refer to powdercoating colors, and can be easily found by searching for the RAL number, or the name of the color. Some of the parts covered look better now, then when they left the Volvo factory. The '62-'64 grilles being one example. (I've got a NOS example that's rougher than my powdercoated ones)

Did I get something wrong?

Someone should have a manual for restoring Volvo's, it'd be helpful. I'll probably end with one for reuse in 30-40 years.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts