SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a 71 1800e and plan to eventually restomod it. I've been watching the various Vox inspired restomod projects on the forum. I thought it would be good for us to have a thread to use to share ideas and knowledge gained through our individual projects.

We can also use this thread to coordinate group buys for custom parts. Things like the roof glass, single pane door windows, enlarged side rear glass and other parts that don't exist. We can all share some of the R&D work so that we don't have to reengineer these items individually for all of our separate projects.

Please chime in and let me know if you all think this is a good idea and let's build an open source Vox inspired restomod R&D thread.

-Frank

71 Volvo 1800e

·
Registered
485 Posts
Other than Darreld's epic build, I am not aware of any other Vox inspired restomod projects on the go. I would love a link to any builds if they are available.

If it is glass production that you are mostly interested in, you will need to have a substantial group before it starts to make financial sense. Searches in the past have come up with numbers ranging from 5 to 20k to have a custom curved glass component made.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, even just sourcing from someone who we all know can do it would be helpful. I think the benefit is more in the shared R&D efforts and having a company who can actually do the task correctly versus a major cost reduction.

I'll get a build thread started for mine but other than stripping some paint I've done very little. I recall seeing others post their intention of doing a vox build but so far I think you're correct in that there are only a couple of you who've done anything worth documenting so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
734 Posts
I will be keeping an eye on this thread. For my rear side glass I am planning on cutting down a windshield to the correct size. A template will be made and taken to a junk yard to find one with the correct curvature. I will keep you guys posted on how that works and what vehicle is being used to make the glass.

Darreld
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I will be building the Vox version. I am starting a list of all projects going on. I like to know if any are drive able yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also like to know details like how much to move the wheel well openings, etc. I like to make a technical data sheet on stuff like this.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Also like to know details like how much to move the wheel well openings, etc. I like to make a technical data sheet on stuff like this.
Is not the point of building a custom car to end up with a "One of a kind car" that expresses the builders vision?

A "technical data sheet" sounds a little out of place in this context.

I would be somewhat put off if someone put a tape measure to my project with the intention of building a clone.

Pete

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I think we are all building Vox inspired projects. No two cars will be the same. But some items will by nature be the same. For example changing the door glass to a single piece will be the same for all of us as the doors are identical.

Also Volvo 1800s are much rarer than the typical Chevy or ford hot rods and look at how similar they are even though each is a one of a kind.

I'm also happy to share my inspirations to accomplish goals with anyone who is interested. Likewise I like to hear about others ideas. For example the crossfire motorized tail is inspired. I'll absolutely be watching that project closely.

As I've been prepping and researching for the better part of the last five years and in earnest over the last two since I acquired my 1800e I have quite a collection of ideas and plans. Some of which I think will work out and others may be a pipe dream but I'm happy to share any and all of my ideas. If someone steals my concept and implements it then I take that as a compliment to my design skills. If they happen to take my idea and pull it off before I get around to it well that just means they'll do my R&D for me.

So I agree that we won't be likely to put together technical sheets detailing how to reproduce each other's projects. I do plan to offer up any and all assistance I can to any other Vox inspired projects.

I'm not implying that anyone else should have the same attitude as me but should this group feel that this attitude is helpful then I encourage this as the theme for this thread.

-Frank

71 Volvo 1800e

·
Registered
79 Posts
The Vox concept is really cool but it's just that, a concept. Some of the design features will not work well in a real world application. Having said that it's certainly a great motivator and great inspiration to make your own custom 1800 that you add your own twist too, like Darreld is doing, with the pro-touring theme, lotus lights, corvette bumperettes etc. Everyone has slightly different tastes and needs in a car and they want to put their own custom touch on it as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love this kind of talk. The Vox design is incredibly complex. How many are on the road? I don't think any of current projects will be 100% accurate. I'm planning about 85% because I want to add my personal touches. Like third brake light made from a small hood scoop turned around backwards on the roof. But when any of us overcome an obstacle it could help others. I started listing part sources that I will share at some point. The Lotus tail lights will on there along with patch panels and salvaged part sources.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also found source for wiring kit with turn signal with "touch for 3 flash" to change lane. Looking for fender vents to aid in engine cooling. Just watch you tube video on scratch built one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts