SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the IPD catback on my '04 VR and it drones like crazy.

While everyone is focused on replacing the resonator with a different resonator, what would happen if you replaced the resonator with a second muffler? I don't want the car loud, so making it quieter is not a problem. I would like it a bit quieter and to kill the 1800-3100 rpm drone.

When I talked to IPD about this, they suggested spacing out the exhaust tip so it goes beyond the bumper edge- I already have it setup that way. I'm thinking about splicing in a Magnaflow muffler, gotta double check the dimensions- 18" long oval shaped muffler, gotta make sure the width is okay, height being about 5" is about the max that I can do.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like you defeat the purpose of catback then. Drone sucks though. Waste of $700 it appears
My stock system rusted out and had to be replaced. I didn't want a loud exhaust to begin with and definitely didn't want drone. I knew that it was probable that I was going to get some drone, as the wagons seem to drone more. Stock Volvo exhaust is NLA and I wanted something that would flow better- better turbo spoolup, which this does.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Wow if that was their comment idk what to think... I would look at ESTs touring cat back and see what they have where the OG resonator was, splice whatever that is in.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Any progress @cleanerPA?

I'm putting in a third resonator on Friday to take out the last bit of excess noise.

So far, I've got in a 5" Magnaflow 14867, a 4" 14419, and 5"x8" 14229 muffler.

I'm going to put in a short 4.5" round Yonaka resonator with a reduced 2.5" core between the 5" and 4" Magnaflows.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any progress @cleanerPA?

I'm putting in a third resonator on Friday to take out the last bit of excess noise.

So far, I've got in a 5" Magnaflow 14867, a 4" 14419, and 5"x8" 14229 muffler.

I'm going to put in a short 4.5" round Yonaka resonator with a reduced 2.5" core between the 5" and 4" Magnaflows.
I think you're going about it the wrong way- you're using relatively small resonators and a lot of them.

If your drone isn't resolved, you need to use a longer and larger resonator, not multiple. Since you have what looks like 11" between the bracket of death and the end of the resonator that you have in there, rather than what you're proposing, I would take out that (maybe 12" long?) resonator and replace it with one that's 18" or 20", as large as possible.

I went from a 4" diameter resonator, 12" long to about a 14" long, 5" resonator, but I haven't installed it yet. If that doesn't work, I'm going to go to an 18" resonator.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I fixed the major drone with a side branch resonator. But it only targeted a very specific RPM / frequency range. Agreed that a single longer/larger resonator is likely more effective, I just had all this stuff in already and just adding this last one to top it off. It's pretty quiet overall now.

View attachment 50895

·
Registered
649 Posts
I fixed the major drone with a side branch resonator. But it only targeted a very specific RPM / frequency range. Agreed that a single longer/larger resonator is likely more effective, I just had all this stuff in already and just adding this last one to top it off. It's pretty quiet overall now.

View attachment 50895
Link not working

·
Registered
703 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think you're going about it the wrong way- you're using relatively small resonators and a lot of them.

If your drone isn't resolved, you need to use a longer and larger resonator, not multiple. Since you have what looks like 11" between the bracket of death and the end of the resonator that you have in there, rather than what you're proposing, I would take out that (maybe 12" long?) resonator and replace it with one that's 18" or 20", as large as possible.

I went from a 4" diameter resonator, 12" long to about a 14" long, 5" resonator, but I haven't installed it yet. If that doesn't work, I'm going to go to an 18" resonator.
All of the Magnaflows pictured were 14" length body.

Exhaust fabricator advised against putting in the extra Yonaka resonator as it was actually going to be a bit tricky to weld in given the clearance needed to TIG weld it against the 5" Magnaflow ahead of it.

Decided instead to put on a Dynomax 17744 Super Turbo muffler in place of the 5x8 Magnaflow. It will change the sound a lot and probably suppress quite a bit more as well given it's a chambered style. That said, the configuration I ordered, to match current offset in, center out, may not flow as well as offset/offset given some cutaway pics I came across on the net. Regardless, I'll give it a whirl and see how it turns out - install booked for May 17th. I'll get some vids of current setup posted soon for comparison.

·
Registered
703 Posts
All of the Magnaflows pictured were 14" length body.

Exhaust fabricator advised against putting in the extra Yonaka resonator as it was actually going to be a bit tricky to weld in given the clearance needed to TIG weld it against the 5" Magnaflow ahead of it.

Decided instead to put on a Dynomax 17744 Super Turbo muffler in place of the 5x8 Magnaflow. It will change the sound a lot and probably suppress quite a bit more as well given it's a chambered style. That said, the configuration I ordered, to match current offset in, center out, may not flow as well as offset/offset given some cutaway pics I came across on the net. Regardless, I'll give it a whirl and see how it turns out - install booked for May 17th. I'll get some vids of current setup posted soon for comparison.
Offset / Offset

landing_st_main.jpg

Offset / center:

6926580-SuperTurbo1.jpg
6926575-SuperTurbo2.jpg
6926579-SuperTurbo4.jpg

·
Registered
703 Posts
One last comment - the Super Turbos are aluminized, not stainless, but do come with lifetime warranty that will cover corrosion, so that's decent I think. Just not as pretty as the Magnaflow unfortunately, and cannot paint or coat as it will void the warranty.

They actually also come with a 90 day sound guarantee, so if I really don't like it, they'll refund purchase price and some of the install costs according to the literature ;)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Dynomax 17744 is worse than the Magnaflow it replaced.

Bit frustrated now

Need to find another alternative muffler...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Have about 1K on my setup...SNABB downpipe w/ IPD kit behind it. Seems as though any drone I'm noticing @ hiway speed is attributable to the cabin itself 'resonating', the noise get louder when closing windows to seal it off. The exhaust itself is just fine, would even like it a bit more louder-er! So, to address the 'hiway hum', will proceed with a Dynamat (or the like) soundproof job on the trunk area. That will help out my CDT subs, too...

CDN, what is it about those mufflers you don't like?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Have about 1K on my setup...SNABB downpipe w/ IPD kit behind it. Seems as though any drone I'm noticing @ hiway speed is attributable to the cabin itself 'resonating', the noise get louder when closing windows to seal it off. The exhaust itself is just fine, would even like it a bit more louder-er! So, to address the 'hiway hum', will proceed with a Dynamat (or the like) soundproof job on the trunk area. That will help out my CDT subs, too...

CDN, what is it about those mufflers you don't like?
The Magnaflow was better than the Super Turbo. Droned a bit but not as bad as the Dynomax.
Car designers spend a lot of time and money removing drone. Sometimes you get lucky replacing a system with a non-stock system, many times you don`t. You`re into trial and error now, going to be expensive. This may help.
https://itstillruns.com/fix-exhaust-drone-8080950.html
It's true. They can test and refine as needed. Unless you buy something that has had similar tuning, it's risky. A long oval resonator is key I think. I can get a refund on the Dynomax through their sound guarantee, but I still need to put something else on and I already sold the Magnaflow I took off...

·
Registered
703 Posts
I've ordered a TOTALFLOW 44226. Looks like Magnaflow copy

Same offset center 5x8" body, 14" length. But I'm going to go with 2.5" inlet/outlet that should be quieter given larger relative volume of packing as smaller core.

We shall see...

·
3,899 Posts
Just get an TME catback, the money and time your going to spend on a setup will come pretty close when it's all said an done. I had a custom, then IPD, then switched to TME and wow I wish I would have made the jump sooner.

·
Registered
703 Posts
If TME made one for the XC90, I would...

·
Registered
703 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts