SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to quiet down my custom set-up a bit with the addition of a resonator. Drone is getting a little unbearable (well mainly the drone coming from the wife in the passenger seat...) Was thinking the Vibrant 3" Ultra Quiet Resonator would work but wondering if it will fit? Looks a little "fat". Anyone run a similar set-up??Recommendations?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I havent had any problems with drone and mine is nearly straight piped, obx 3" downpipe and I think 2.5-2.75" back from there, I plan on getting the whole thing opened up to 3".

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
get a cat welded to your OBX downpipe and get a Vibrant UQ resonator.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
get a cat welded to your OBX downpipe and get a Vibrant UQ resonator.
Do you have experience with the Vibrant resonator and was it on an R?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I DO I DO. I actually have a 3" turbo back with a magnaflow muffler. Its been about 3 years now and started getting pretty loud. Ordered a 3" vibrant resonator from Amazon back in October. Let me say it was a huge difference. It rolled down the sound and killed a lot of the snack crackle and pop. Still has the gurgle at idle just not as loud especially on cold mornings. Much more quiet in daily driving, and can ride a gear longer in traffic with less attention. Open throttle is nice and opens up just like before. Its been a few months now, and its slightly louder from when I put the resonator on. That's my only gripe, definitely not as quiet from the day I installed it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I can take some pics if you need to see what it looks like. Get it welded on, trust me on that. I cut my pipe and used exhaust clamps (band clamp style) and it started sagging and kept coming loose. As soon as I stated driving it was start to come down and scrap. Took it in and had it butt welded and is good to go.

Here is the one I ordered.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can take some pics if you need to see what it looks like. Get it welded on, trust me on that. I cut my pipe and used exhaust clamps (band clamp style) and it started sagging and kept coming loose. As soon as I stated driving it was start to come down and scrap. Took it in and had it butt welded and is good to go.

Here is the one I ordered.
Thanks guys! Yup, I order that one last night on Amazon. I'm planning on getting it welded in at my local muffler shop in the next week. I figure it will fit nicely where the old stock resonator was. I'll post some photos and results.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I might have to do the same. My 3" custom exhaust is kind of dronny and this might help. The SR with custom DP and OBX exhaust is is not dronny at all. The VR with 3" OBX DP and 3" custom exhaust is dronny. So I am guessing, it is the 3" exhaust that causes the annoying noise.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Got the Magnaflow 4" round P#: 14419 welded in, and I must say, it honestly didn't make much of a difference in noise dampening. I'd like to hear how the Vibrant model works for you.

·
3,831 Posts
Sound deadening, I'm doing 40 sq ft this week. Did it my rx7 (king of drone) an cut the dound in half. Keep in mind asphalt based deadening is crap, you need thick butyl to make a difference. I use qmat, it was about 140 shipped for 40sqft.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Sound deadening, I'm doing 40 sq ft this week. Did it my rx7 (king of drone) an cut the dound in half. Keep in mind asphalt based deadening is crap, you need thick butyl to make a difference. I use qmat, it was about 140 shipped for 40sqft.
Keep in mind that once you start down the road of sound deadening, you will want more and more. I ran a car audio install bay for both Best Buy and Circuit City for a long time.

My most crazy car audio build I had a 97 Lexus SC400 and I to every square inch of the interior out besides the actual dash and went to town with sound deadening. It included:

90 Square feet of Dynamat Extreme
5 Gallons of Second Skin audio Spectrum sprayed in to the car
10 LB box of polly fil stuffing stuffed into all of the open areas of the frame and ect. inside the car.
Big roll of carpet padding glued to the back of all the panels ect. and stuffed into lose areas
A case of the Duplicolor under coating sprayed into the trunk and around the gas tank (tank was behind the back seat).

The result was that car was so quite you could hardly tell it was running. Once you get to a certain level of quite it sucks because all kinds of things you didn't think were that noisy before become noisy. All sorts of switches, the fan motor, even the weather stripping around the sunroof was old and leaked a little wind noise and it drove me crazy buy Lexus would only sell the weather stripping together in kit with he sun roof glass for $1400.

And don't EVER, EVER pay retail on sound deadening products like Dynamat, it's the most marked up stuff ever. Stuff like the 30 Sq ft kits of Dynamat sold for $100 in Store, but our price was only $33.

·
3,831 Posts
Dynamat is garbage is imo, almost all their stuff is asphalt based except their premium lines which are way over priced for what they are. I know what you mean by wanting more and more. I still want the double pane volvo glass like I had in my Xc. With this amount I can knock out all the squeaks an rattles an kill some drone too. I'm not going to go crazy, already did that with my last car an learned the limit.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Dynamat is garbage is imo, almost all their stuff is asphalt based except their premium lines which are way over priced for what they are. I know what you mean by wanting more and more. I still want the double pane volvo glass like I had in my Xc. With this amount I can knock out all the squeaks an rattles an kill some drone too. I'm not going to go crazy, already did that with my last car an learned the limit.
Honestly I think Dynamat was one of the first companies to push sound deadening, and they always had by far the biggest advertisng budget kinda of like BOSE, so every one knows the Dynamat name.

In reality I think they have fallen to the back of the pack terms of bang for the buck, install, and how well it actually works.

Their customer service towards me as an hard core car audio enthusiast and running a Best Buy install bay was garbage so I will never give them another cent of my money.

I tried over and over again to get them to work with me on faxing me accommodations info and they would never come through. It almost as if Dynamat though they were too good to give installers accommodations pricing. Maybe we just had a ****ty Dynamat Rep at BB, but either way they lost a customer for life.

Anthony the owner of Second Skin worked with me to give me a good deal, and we weren't even selling his products at that time.

I know the owner of Raamaudio as well and he was a very down to earth guy as well that was into cars just like us.

·
3,831 Posts
I have always heard amazing things about second skin, they are pricey but well worth it if your really into audio. Do you still get installer pricing :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I have always heard amazing things about second skin, they are pricey but well worth it if your really into audio. Do you still get installer pricing :)
No I don't get installer discount anymore, but SS used to have a deal if you signed up on there forum you could get 20% retail, which was only about 5% away from the discount I got.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright, so here's an update. It's been a few days now since the Vibrant Ultra Quiet 3" resonator was installed and I have to say it did just what I was hoping. It has cut down the drone and definitely the unwanted vibrations I was getting in my cabin. There is still a little drone but it is minor at best. At WOT it still sounds mean as ever. This worked really well! Here's a few shots of the resonator before and after the install.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Alright, so here's an update. It's been a few days now since the Vibrant Ultra Quiet 3" resonator was installed and I have to say it did just what I was hoping. It has cut down the drone and definitely the unwanted vibrations I was getting in my cabin. There is still a little drone but it is minor at best. At WOT it still sounds mean as ever. This worked really well! Here's a few shots of the resonator before and after the install.

Do you still have lots of exhaust crackle and pop noise?
If I "uncork" the V8 exhaust I want all that crackle and pop stuff but no drone (humming).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not as much. It still does when in gear and off throttle coming to a stop, etc. The afterfires have cut down though. (much to my wife's appeasement...)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts