SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I correct in understanding that there is no resonator on the S60/V60 Polestar exhaust system?

It looks like part #31408048 is used on the polestar where the front muffler / resonator would normally be on a standard T6.
(part # 8 in this image: http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/im.../GR-390446.jpg )

I've always understood the rule to be that no resonator or removing the resonator would cause unwanted drone in an exhaust system.

How did they manage to work around this?

Also, if there is no resonator, when the exhaust actuators are "open" doesn't this mean that most of the exhaust flow is not muffled at all?

I think the factory polestar exhaust is one of the best sounding "factory" exhaust systems available from any manufacturer on a sub $100k car.

I would very much like to put the polestar muffler on my car, but without a way to control the muffler actuators, I'm afraid that's a difficult proposition.

I am wondering though if I could install 3140848 on my XC60 T6 with the help of an exhaust shop, opening up the exhaust flow/sound without causing "drone"? I understand there will need to be some custom fabrication needed to join this up with the back half of my current exhaust system. This would be better than simply removing my resonator and replacing with straight pipe due to the larger pipe diameter of the polestar part, yes? Are the polestar parts actually available for sale?

What if I just had an exhaust shop cut out my resonator and replace with 2.5" piping (to match the ferrita downpipe)?

What am I missing? This sounds pretty good to my ear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrh-EYcOCFQ

Is there a high performance / louder resonator that I should weld in instead of straight pipe?

·
Registered
117 Posts
The viva exhaust system with the sport option eliminates the resonator and replaces it with a higher free flow muffler. It doesn't sound like the polestar, much better than stock though. . So in my opinion it isn't just the center resonator, or the muffler , it is the correct balance of both .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
My advice would be to do your homework, be conservative, and be willing to go back if you don't like it.

Youtube videos of exahaust sounds are pretty useless, in my opinion. They give you an idea of the tone, but don't really convey how loud it is (is it the car or the volume knob on my computer that I'm hearing?).

But more importantly, the videos are almost always shot from behind the car. How often are you going to be standing there listening to the sound of your awesomeness? 99% of the time, you will be hearing the sound of your car from behind the steering wheel, and it can be very different there.

A case in point... My current car is a Pontiac G8 GT with a 6.0L V8. I bought it used and it came with aftermarket mufflers (Magnaflow, I think). It sounded absolutely awesome from behind the car -- like a real musclecar -- just like in Youtube videos. It burbled at idle and crackled on the overrun. On my test drive, it seemed a little loud inside the car, but hey, that's "cool", right?

Well, my work commute is 80% highway, and I found that if I wanted to listen to the radio at 75 mph, I'd have to crank it way up. By the time I got to work, my ears were buzzing. I could only stand it for about two weeks. I had to go back to OEM to keep my sanity.

And, in that regard, I got lucky. I called the local GM dealer and asked if he could get me a pair of stock mufflers. He said "Yes but you don't want them".

I said "Yes, I do."

He said "OK then... $1200. Each. Plus tax and shipping".

I said "I don't want them".

Eventually found a pair on eBay for $50. Probably take-offs from some guy that installed an "awesome" aftermarket system.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Side comment... I dont remember if it was Road and Track or Car and Driver, but the writer made a comment along the lines of "VW has done a beautiful job of keeping the exhaust note behind the car, where it belongs".

My previous car was a GTI and I understand exactly what he was talking about. Very quiet inside the car, but, if you roll down the windows, you can hear that there's actually a lot of exhaust noise coming out of that exhaust pipe. Very refined. I bet they spent a lot of money developing that attribute. Keeps the driver happy during long drives yet captures the attention of pedestrians (in a good way).

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I have done the resonator delete and was actually disappointed. It sounded great on the cold startup but then was barely noticeable when warm.

I am strongly thinking of muffler delete. I have a 2012 s60 T6 awd with P*

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
I think with these cars, the muffler is where you'll get the most change in sound. You may actually hear less drone without the resonator since there is no air flow disturbance at that point mid-car. Make sure you're not confusing less drone inside the cockpit with actual sound from out the exhaust tips. Rather than going full delete and having the raw raucous sound everywhere, you should try replacing your stock muffler with a less restrictive Borla or Magnaflow.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I can attest to the above posts. I just did the Magnaflow muffler install on my T6 last weekend. After spending about 6 days with the setup, I'm quite happy with the interior noise and livability on the highway (2 hour per day commute). If it were louder than where it is now, I would probably not be happy in the long run.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Anyone have video or sound clip of a drive e T5 with a resonator delete?

·
Registered
708 Posts
A case in point... My current car is a Pontiac G8 GT with a 6.0L V8. I bought it used and it came with aftermarket mufflers (Magnaflow, I think). It sounded absolutely awesome from behind the car -- like a real musclecar -- just like in Youtube videos. It burbled at idle and crackled on the overrun. On my test drive, it seemed a little loud inside the car, but hey, that's "cool", right?

Well, my work commute is 80% highway, and I found that if I wanted to listen to the radio at 75 mph, I'd have to crank it way up. By the time I got to work, my ears were buzzing. I could only stand it for about two weeks. I had to go back to OEM to keep my sanity.
Hahaha, My brother owns the Australian version of this. He had a custom made system with 3" pipes all the way through, CAI, tune etc. It makes 360 RWHP.

The drone is terrible, it is almost unbearable to the point of being funny. We couldn't hear each other talk and the radio was at 50% just to hear the music. It sounds fantastic outside the car though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A case in point... My current car is a Pontiac G8 GT with a 6.0L V8. I bought it used and it came with aftermarket mufflers (Magnaflow, I think). It sounded absolutely awesome from behind the car -- like a real musclecar -- just like in Youtube videos.
I was so considering getting a G8 but found V8 S80 and hacked the mufflers off, OMG it so addicting just blip ping the throttle or going WOT thru a tunnel.
I may still get a G8, i just hate & cant get over how they look like saturns, lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts