SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the weather got colder here in the morning i noticed there is a slight resistance in the steering when turning slightly. It feels like i would drive in deep tracks and trying to get out of them. As the car warms up the problem goes away. I am guessing the problem is related to the steering pump or the fluid. It is difficult to check the fluid min/max level as the reservoir is so deep down. Sound familiar, any suggestions?
The car is a 2007 v50 2.4

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
The power steering pump is electrically driven, and a low battery or alternator output can cause this. Have you checked those? Try having a helper move the steering while the car is stationary and you can listen if the pump sounds like it's laboring, or silent.

I guess I'm not familiar with the 2007 2.4, because the PS reservoir in my 2005 T5 is right there on top of everything and very easy to check. It's probably not needed, but if you want to flush, using a syringe in the reservoir and cycling the fluid multiple times will accomplish much of the job. Use the right fluid - CHF11 or Volvo OEM, if you do.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Some noise is "normal" and even some headlight dimming. Thee vehicles have heavy steering especially compared to modern setups. IIRC you can remove the headlight to check the fluid. It is Volvo specific and expensive.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Some noise is "normal" and even some headlight dimming. Thee vehicles have heavy steering especially compared to modern setups. IIRC you can remove the headlight to check the fluid. It is Volvo specific and expensive.
Walmart also has "European Formula Power Steering Fluid" Comes in Prestone bottles for $10 a pint, much cheaper than OEM and CHF202 or whatever goes in ours. Says on the bottle it is a replacement for Pentosin CHF202 and a few others, which (CHF202) is used in our cars apart from the OEM fluid. Much Cheaper solution. My experience with it is all the same, whether I used CHF202 or Prestone European stuff. No real difference in quality IMO.

Videos online to do a flush - very easy as well for less than $10 from Home Depot or wherever to get some vinyl tubing.

What the Prestone power steering fluid looks like: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-12-ounce/as268y/4666568/2006/volvo/s40?pos=1

What the Pentosin CHF202 looks like: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-1-liter/8403107/4650349/2006/volvo/s40?pos=2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the newer models have the reservoir under the headlight so that have to be removed first. Even after that it is very hard to see the min/max markings. Best view is by taking off the wheel and the plastic wheel arc.
I checked my fluid and it was very dark so i will be doing a renewing of the fluids at the local volvo dealer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: OP's original question, as between the fluid and the pump I would guess the pump but that's an inference based on my own experience. I just did a flush and fill following the procedure stickied here on SS. I did it as convenient maintenance because I was already removing the R front fender liner to replace the alternator and associated belts. I inexplicably found the fluid reservoir (located behind the headlight as noted above) to be essentially empty. I cannot explain where the fluid went nor why the power steering functioned perfectly despite such a low fluid level. (My best guess re: the low fluid is that a body shop failed to appropriately fill the system after accessing it while doing a deer collision repair. There's no evidence of a leak.)

My experience is the same as stated above. Unless you have a reservoir at the top of the engine compartment it is impossible to discern the fluid level without at least removing the headlight--which is actually very easy to do. You don't need to disconnect and completely remove it; just move it forward a couple of inches to expose the lid to the fluid reservoir. You can peer down into it and at least get a sense of how high the fluid level is. To actually see the min/max lines, however, I had to remove the fender liner.

@ Ande2, the little fluid I had appeared very dark when I peered into the top of the reservoir. Following my one liter flush and fill the fluid still appears dark when i peer into the reservoir through the fill hole, despite the fact that I flushed until the fluid was running clear green (the color of the replacement fluid). I'm not sure you can make a conclusion about the quality of the fluid based on it's color when peering into that hole in a dark space. Regardless, can't hurt ... except the pocketbook ... especially at the dealer. :)

BTW, I used Pentosin CHF 202 fluid which I acquired for $15/liter from a large online retailer. I'm very comfortable using it (or the Prestone European formula).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts