SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, in preparation for a trip, I took the XC60 to a car wash and somehow my right hand power folding mirror got bumped.

It was noticeably not aligned.

Looking online I found that the manual says this:

Resetting to Neutral
Mirrors that have been moved out of position by an external force must be electrically reset to the neutral position for electric retracting/ extending to work.
• Retract the mirrors with the L and R buttons
• Fold them out again with the L and R buttons.
The mirrors are now reset in neutral position.
Except they are most certainly not.

Am I the only one that this doesn't make sense to?

Maybe there is something else wrong with this.

When I go to "retract the mirrors", the left one pulls in but the right one just sits there. At this point, folding it out again per the manual makes no sense.

Is there something I'm missing here?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sometimes when I use an automatic car wash, my side mirrors get bumped or pushed out of position. I use the L&R buttons to retract the mirrors, then fold them back out and everything is fine.
Sounds like there may be additional damage in your case. Maybe time to see the dealer.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An update on this:

I don't have time lately to take this to the dealer.

So I took the mirror cover off and immediately saw a broken wire inside.

Patched the wire up and voila... mirror works.

Not sure how that might affect future service to it but I'll deal with that in a future time.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
wondering if, due to the normally slow movement of the mirror, the wire is allowed to slowly move past an obstacle in its path of travel, but at the car wash, the quick movement of the mirror cause the wire to move too quickly, and with that quick force, maybe friction of the insulator caught on the obstacle and pulled it out?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wondering if, due to the normally slow movement of the mirror, the wire is allowed to slowly move past an obstacle in its path of travel, but at the car wash, the quick movement of the mirror cause the wire to move too quickly, and with that quick force, maybe friction of the insulator caught on the obstacle and pulled it out?
Well, both connectors are enclosed in a connector housing and that housing is pressed into the mirror shell (inner shell, not outer) to allow little movement of the wiring.

I think it was just time.

It was a drive through wash and the pre-washing attendant might have pushed on the mirror a bit more than it was used to. Nothing out of movement range but it immediately stopped working after that. I noticed it within minutes.

I assumed it might be a motor but it is quite obvious it was nothing more than a connector breaking loose at the cable.

What that tells me, honestly, is that the cable was crimped too tightly and it became brittle over time and broke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.