1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 S40
7,338 miles

I just experienced something odd.

I pumped a full tank of gas today and resetted the trip computer and the one on the dash. I drove about 15 miles and went to shop around, leaving my car at 15.3 miles around 1:30pm. After 20 mins, I went back to my car and started it up. The trip computer was back to 0.0. Odd? I thought something might be off, could have been the temperture, it was around 89 degrees, but that couldn't have been it. I drove another 8.8 miles and stopped again. After about 2 hours (I need to move my car because the spot I parked was for 2 hour parking), I started the car up, looking at the trip computer, it was fine, 8.8 miles. However, my clock was off by 2 hours. It was timed at 1:42. At this point I decided to make an appointed to get this checked. I never had this probably before, however is the second time something need a check-up at. The first thing was not having a horn working the day my family got the car a year ago.

I just want to ask if anyone ever had problems in relation to the trip computer or anything presenting numbers that can be resetted. I hope there aren't any more problems in the future, I hate to have a bad experience with a new volvo.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by asian01:
2001 S40
7,338 miles

I just experienced something odd.

I pumped a full tank of gas today and resetted the trip computer and the one on the dash. I drove about 15 miles and went to shop around, leaving my car at 15.3 miles around 1:30pm. After 20 mins, I went back to my car and started it up. The trip computer was back to 0.0. Odd? I thought something might be off, could have been the temperture, it was around 89 degrees, but that couldn't have been it. I drove another 8.8 miles and stopped again. After about 2 hours (I need to move my car because the spot I parked was for 2 hour parking), I started the car up, looking at the trip computer, it was fine, 8.8 miles. However, my clock was off by 2 hours. It was timed at 1:42. At this point I decided to make an appointed to get this checked. I never had this probably before, however is the second time something need a check-up at. The first thing was not having a horn working the day my family got the car a year ago.

I just want to ask if anyone ever had problems in relation to the trip computer or anything presenting numbers that can be resetted. I hope there aren't any more problems in the future, I hate to have a bad experience with a new volvo.

This has happened to quite a few S/V40 owners of 2001 S/V40s. There is a defetcive electronic module that needs to be replaced along with the downloading of new software and you will be as good as new! (under warranty)

Yannis

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was this the issue that went into a recall May of 2001. If so, I read about it but thought that when purchasing it in the same month, the dealership took care of that. But thanks, I will ask on Monday when I take my car there.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It actually ended up to be some loose connections. But the dealer did put some new software in. Thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had that kind of problem twice in my 1998 S40 T4 first at ca. 50k km and the second time at ca. 58k km. Both times all the numbers that can be resetted had changed to show 0 (clock, trip and avg speed, avg consumption and trip in the trip computer).
I took the car to dealer after the first time and they cheked the car and said that the whole instrument cluster had to be changed to fix the problem. I didn't want that becouse the price was insane, something like over 1000 euros (I can't recall the exact price) as the car wasn't under warranty anymore. I would like to have a second opinion especially when I read your posts under this topic.

So could you explain in more detail, which electronic module does this when defective and where were the loose connections that cause these kind of problems, please. I don't know whether those issues apply in these ph I cars or not, but I would appreciate your help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My trip computer resets itself frequently, but the dealer keeps telling me "they can't duplicate my concern". Then again, I'm not dealing with the swiftest of dealers. I only have two dealers that I can go to now that I live in Phoenix, and the other dealer is too far away for the frequency that this car has to visit the service bay.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the service said that they had to open up the steering wheel to get behind it for the connections. There, the connections to the gauge of the clock was loose, and they tighten them up, did not replace. Same as for the trip computer, but they also downloaded newer software.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the information.
I'll have to check did they do all that (remove the steering wheel etc) in the service. It lasted only a couple of hours (other things were checked as well at the service). However, they definitely did not talk anything about loading new software to the trip computer.
I'll take the car soon to the dealer for regular maintenance and ask them at the same time to check this "reset" issue again.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts