SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '12 S60 T5 that treats me well, well maintained but now my fiance is in market and i am leading the search.

I have my eye set on a used 2016 V60 CC but also see many great deals for CPO '17 and '18 models and wonder is it worth it even though they are the "dreaded" 4 cyl. models?

I know there isn't any long term data, but wanted to get a sense of peoples' opinions from here.

Thanks! Happy to answer any questions if you have any

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m not sure what is dreaded about them. We’ve owned three of the new 4-cylinder engines and they’ve been fantastic. I’m always a fan of the latest and greatest technology, and they haven’t disappointed. There’s nothing to be afraid of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m not sure what is dreaded about them. We’ve owned three of the new 4-cylinder engines and they’ve been fantastic. I’m always a fan of the latest and greatest technology, and they haven’t disappointed. There’s nothing to be afraid of.

Thank you for the quick reply. If that is the case and the price point is similar between a 2016-2018 model (and everything else is relatively equal) would you recommend going the newer model? Guess I have some test driving to do!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought a '17 V60 T5 AWD in 2017, and considered the CPO route with a '16 5-cylinder at the time. Here's my thoughts on my decision to go '17 with the 4-cyl.

4-cyl comes with the 8-speed auto, not the old 6-speed. I've read that the 8-speed is an improvement on the 6-speed in every way. I'm pleased with the performance of the 8-speed. It doesn't constantly hunt for a gear the way I understand some transmissions with a large number of gears can. Some people say it upshifts too early, and I see what they mean... for my everyday commute, it's fine. Sport mode holds the revs higher nicely for when conditions call for that.

The EPA mileage of the AWD 4-cyl was slightly better than the mileage of the FWD 5-cyl. And in fact I returned from a road trip with the family yesterday where we averaged 29MPG over 850 miles. 4 passengers with luggage for 4 overnights with lots of suburban/urban stop-and-go at our destination. My cruise was set at 75 as much as I could get away with. (Heavy, fast-flowing traffic coming and going.) I don't believe the 5-cyl could achieve this. Probably has almost as much to do with the newer transmission as the engine.

Quoted 0-60 times are subtly better with the newer engine, for whatever that matters to you.

I figured that the reliability of the 5-cylinder would probably be better, and rolled the dice a bit on that. At least I didn't buy the first model year of a brand new engine design like I did once before. (An '11 Subaru Forester with the then brand-new FB25 engine. I felt like a beta tester. Never again.) So yes, even now there's relatively little long-term data on the new 4-cyl engines (and it's skewed by the bad piston rings on a known range of `15.5 vehicles). But Consumer Reports gives '17 and '18 S60/V60 models the best rating for the engine (and my old '11 Forester the worst engine reliability rating). So, there's that...

Anyway, I'm happy with the 4-cyl in my '17 V60. I'd buy it again, sure.

(If we were talking T6 models--- 3.0 I6 T6 vs 2.0 I4 T6... I would totally buy the older I6 engine over the newer. But that's a different thing altogether.)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yes, will probably keep our ‘16 V60RD with the 3.0 I6 until it dies, which could be a very long time, being a Volvo and all. Probably the best gasoline engine Volvo has ever used in one of the best chassis. The newer I5 T5s had some oil issues, and it never was a super efficient or smooth engine (my previous V70R with similar weight, transmission and power output used about 15% more fuel than our current V60RD).

Test drove a new V60 AWD and it was fine if nothing exciting. The engine made good power but it seemed to be working harder all the time and even sounded a little harsh at times. I’m sure a P3 with a similar engine would be a fine daily driver.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Based on your post count, I would guess you haven't been on the forum enough to see what is dreaded about them. Hopefully the fixes made in 2016 were good enough to make them reliable long term. But there isn't enough real world long term experience yet to know.

I am biased, but I wouldn't recommend a car with the 4-cyl engine to anyone planning on keeping it past the warranty expiration.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Based on your post count, I would guess you haven't been on the forum enough to see what is dreaded about them. Hopefully the fixes made in 2016 were good enough to make them reliable long term. But there isn't enough real world long term experience yet to know.

I am biased, but I wouldn't recommend a car with the 4-cyl engine to anyone planning on keeping it past the warranty expiration.
*sigh* I’m not gonna do it today. I delete my initial response to your reply and I’m just gonna leave it alone.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Mines been trouble free so far (touch wood) but there may be some differences in the engines we get on the other side of the world. We make more power from the Polestar tune, so it might be a fuel related issue.

The CC isn't the kind of car you would attack a twisty road with, so i doubt you'll appreciate the responsiveness of the 8 speed. Go the old tech instead.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually ended up with the CPO 2016 V60 Platinum FWD 14.5k miles for about $22k.

I test drove the above as well as a 2016 V60 CC with bigger tires.

I actually ended up liking the non CC FWD one better. Felt it had better umph, the brakes were better (yes i know that can change) and it was fully loaded. I live in MA so AWD could definitely be used, but Boston and snow tires are sufficient, it certainly is on my '12 S60. I extended the CPO to an additional 5 years, they matched steingold price and I rolled it into the financing.

Happy with the decision, happy to have all the features I could ask for compared to the CC that was available, which was also 3k more. I just wish my S60 Saris trunk mount bike rack was suitable for the V60.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I actually ended up with the CPO 2016 V60 Platinum FWD 14.5k miles for about $22k.

Happy with the decision, happy to have all the features I could ask for compared to the CC that was available, which was also 3k more. I just wish my S60 Saris trunk mount bike rack was suitable for the V60.
Get a Curt hitch and a Thule hitch-mount rack - sturdier and way more convenient.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Is this something that a relative novice could do myself?
Curt hitches are pretty straight forward (I paid the $100 to have mine done on last three Volvo’s) and there are threads on the forums here if you search. Then the Thule rack is dead simple - slides right in with one spring-washered bolt in the hitch pin opening to secure it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Curt hitches are pretty straight forward (I paid the $100 to have mine done on last three Volvo’s) and there are threads on the forums here if you search. Then the Thule rack is dead simple - slides right in with one spring-washered bolt in the hitch pin opening to secure it.

Random anecdote: first Volvo wagon (‘98 V70 AWD with a chip - about 240 hp, which seemed like a lot then) with this setup on a trip out to Prince Edward Island from Toronto with bikes on the hitch-mount Thule - decided to ‘open it up’ on a deserted stretch of the Trans-Canada in New Brunswick and briefly hit 200 km/h. Bikes seemed fine, securely mounted on the Thule in the slipstream of the wagon, but when I stopped later saw that the front tire on my nice mountain bike (which I still have) was completely fried - seems the way it hung off the rack let the front tire spin down close to the exhaust. I’ve seen a few GoPro videos of night-time autobahn runs since on these forums and the exhaust usually glows blue like a large butane lighter (live and learn, sort of )

·
Registered
13,472 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a '12 S60 T5 that treats me well, well maintained but now my fiance is in market and i am leading the search.

I have my eye set on a used 2016 V60 CC but also see many great deals for CPO '17 and '18 models and wonder is it worth it even though they are the "dreaded" 4 cyl. models?

I know there isn't any long term data, but wanted to get a sense of peoples' opinions from here.

Thanks! Happy to answer any questions if you have any
Last year I purposely waited on the closeout for the 2016 V60CC's because nobody was buying them! Ended up buying a loaded version for $14,500 off MSRP with 7 year 100,000 mile warranty attached! This was THE very last new Volvo with a 5 cylinder engine available in my area!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts