SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to get some dents/dings fixed this spring, and figure at the same time, I should have my lower molding (factory non-body kit) painted to match the rest of the car. I recall seeing it on someone's red S40 and it looked good.
I can't find the threads on it anymore; can you either help me out with links or tips on anything I should be prepared for? I also want to do my fog light surrounds either mistral green to match the paint, or black to match the dubstop grille and black anno'd intercooler.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Re: Requesting advice on painting lower trim (mattdoc)

I can't remember the link and I'm trying to rush to beat the sun going down, but I do remember that it is fairly simple, my car has it done on the stock sideskirts. All you need to do is sand down the texture of the pieces, primer and use some sort of adhesion promoter (so the paint sticks on the plastic), and then paint. Really simplified, not sure if you want more detail than that. The other option is sand out the texture, or just primer and sand until it is smooth, then have a paint shop do it. Probably better results that way, but definitely more expensive. Good luck, sorry if I wasn't much help! Also, I'd recommend doing the fogs black to match the grille and intercooler...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Yup, if you do the prep or at least some of it, you will save yourself some money. Figure out how to take that stuff off, and get yourself some sand paper. Get it down to smooth instead of textured. I would think somewhere between 220 and 400 grit would be good. You don't want to make it too smooth, or the primer doesn't adhere quite as well.

Just doing that will save you a lot of labor cost.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.