SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In May, my main indy mechanic restored my failed AWD. He said we wouldn't know until he opened it up whether cause of failure was sleeve or angle gear. Hoping it was only the cheap sleeve rather than the expensive angle gear, I supplied him with an OEM angle gear sleeve and seal kit (http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-volvo/30787988) before he began work. To my relief, he reported the problem was indeed not the angle gear but just the sleeve and my AWD was restored! For 5 months! Wait, what? Shortly after having my tires rotated recently, I began to hear a speed-related grinding noise. Initial (incorrect) diagnosis: a bent heat shield from wheel dropping on it while rotating tires. Today, though, my backup indy mechanic lifted my R and showed me that where the driveshaft enters the angle gear case the shaft has easy play and there's no seal (angle gear case is slick with oil). My questions: Is it likely that both the expensive angle gear and driveshaft now need to be replaced, or just one or the other? Not that it matters much in comparison, but should I also order another sleeve or is that likely to be okay still? Is it likely just a coincidence that my mechanic replaces the sleeve and a few months later the angle gear fails? If not likely a coincidence what's your theory as to the connection? Should the seal on the rear driveshaft side of the angle gear case have been replaced at the same time as the seal on the front sleeve/transmission side of the case because of the likelihood of the rear side being damaged accidentally or from drying out during sleeve replacement?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would just get a used angle gear and go from there. Craigslist/car-part.com/ebay. Did the seal just fail because of wear or due to impact damage? Do you have a picture of it?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From my viewing angle of where the driveshaft enters the angle gear case I couldn't see a seal at all -- just looked like the shaft was going into a hole noticeably bigger than the diameter of the shaft. (Wait a minute, I think I've heard something like that before -- oh, never mind.) I'll hold my phone up there to get a pic with flash to see if I can get a better idea of what the failed seal looks like.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
The output bearing/seal on my angle gear failed after about 165k miles. I got a persistent noise, slowly got louder over the course of two weeks, then one day without warning it super failed and I could barely drive it 5 MPH due to mechanical trashing and banging and nasty unnnatural sounds. I bought a used replacement from Erie (lifetime warranty!) and my indy installed it just fine. My failed one is sitting in a box in my garage waiting for an autopsy.

If you research it on here you can find others that have disassembled their failing AGs, sourced the correct bearings and seals and put it back together. My 04 is my DD so I didn't have time to do that, nor the technical skill really. Maybe someday I'll sell my old one for scrap.

Also, despite Erie having my VIN, they initially sent me the wrong AG, one for an 01-03 XC70 which looks 99% correct but is slightly too short for the driveshaft to reach. Once I told them, they were great in quickly sending me the right one and paying for the exit shipping on the wrong part. It did cost me a few more days of rental car and mechanic time but life isn't fair.

My advice to you is to buy a used one from Erie as soon as you can, then prepare to swap. You can swap it yourself in 12 hours, or a qualified indy can in 2.5. Also, there is normally a small amount of play on the driveshaft as it comes out of the AG, maybe 1mm. However, if you're seeing fluid leakage, it's toast. Swap it before it destroys your driveshaft and doubles your repair budget.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
If the mechanic didn't properly inspect the angle gear splines they could have been so worn that it didn't take that many miles for them to strip out a new sleeve.

Its also easy to misalign the AG assembly when re-attaching the AG to the tranny which will also quickly destroy even a new AG collar and splines as discussed in the following thread.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-nice-things-(angle-gear-collar-failure-mode)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts