SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going to Courtesy Volvo in Scottsdale for 4 years and never had more than a minor problem. That all changed recently when I took my XC90 in for a software update, battery check, and a check of the sunroof for a grinding noise. Over the next 2 ½ months, my vehicle was in the shop 4 times after they scraped the hell out of my roof replacing the sunroof tray (and lied about the damage), neglected to reinstall an interior body panel, left a piece of rubber gasket pinched in the sunroof, causing wind noise and leaks, told me the battery was OK (only to have the battery warning show up on my dash three days later), and pretty much ignored most of my attempts at communication. They did eventually fix the battery, reinstalled the panel, adjusted the sunroof, and repainted the roof. However, they put me through hell for over 2 months. I requested a complimentary 40K service for the trouble. I thought they would jump on this opportunity to put this mess behind us, retain me as a customer, and welcome me back for a much better experience in the near future. Their response was that all they were prepared to offer is a free oil change. Ridiculous...

I hate complaining to the ownership and the Volvo executive team, but my hand is being forced as neither the service manager nor the general manager seem interested in making this up to me nor keeping me as a customer. I'll be taking some time this weekend to draft letters in the hopes that someone at a higher level shows the proper concern. Going forward, I'm hoping someone in the Phoenix area has good service department to recommend so I can take my business elsewhere going forward. If you have a recommendation on the best contacts at Volvo or elsewhere to report this expereince, I would appreciate that too.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tucson is the best, otherwise Arrowhead

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I will not confirm or deny that this was at the same dealer you speak of:

I'll drive to Palm Springs for service before I ever use that dealer again.

Random sunroof issue for us too. When we had the sunroof grinding in the 2017, they corrected it. But then the rattles started real bad in the headliner. They checked it out and found hot glue in the headliner. The service advisor immediately accused me of using hot glue because "no tech would have done that." They ate their words on it because a tech, did in fact, use hot glue when they first reinstalled it. Kind of reflected the quality work they were doing.

I bought my former 2020 and my current 2021 at Tucson. The sales side bent over backwards in the end to get the 2020 issues resolved. Not sure of the service side. I'd definitely take my car to Tucson without hesitation.

Currently I'm using Volvo Cars Gilbert for service and they've been outstanding. Very thorough and good at documenting the issues. I highly recommend them if you haven't had any issues. When they were in Tempe, we had serious issues leading up to the purchase of the 2017 thru the OSD. But the service side with the (now) Gilbert is great!

I haven't been to the Arrowhead location since it's pretty far for us. I did use the old Phoenix Volvo a couple times and was very pleased.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will not confirm or deny that this was at the same dealer you speak of:

I'll drive to Palm Springs for service before I ever use that dealer again.

Random sunroof issue for us too. When we had the sunroof grinding in the 2017, they corrected it. But then the rattles started real bad in the headliner. They checked it out and found hot glue in the headliner. The service advisor immediately accused me of using hot glue because "no tech would have done that." They ate their words on it because a tech, did in fact, use hot glue when they first reinstalled it. Kind of reflected the quality work they were doing.

I bought my former 2020 and my current 2021 at Tucson. The sales side bent over backwards in the end to get the 2020 issues resolved. Not sure of the service side. I'd definitely take my car to Tucson without hesitation.

Currently I'm using Volvo Cars Gilbert for service and they've been outstanding. Very thorough and good at documenting the issues. I highly recommend them if you haven't had any issues. When they were in Tempe, we had serious issues leading up to the purchase of the 2017 thru the OSD. But the service side with the (now) Gilbert is great!

I haven't been to the Arrowhead location since it's pretty far for us. I did use the old Phoenix Volvo a couple times and was very pleased.

Why will you not confirm the name of the dealer? Is that not allowed for some reason?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After my fourth trip there, the service manager assured me that he would have an experienced technician inspect the work done previously to make sure everything was installed properly. Well, I was driving last night and the Intellisafe cover just popped off the ceiling. The OnCall/Sunroof control panel clips underneath were not snapped in and it looks like everything was just forced back into place. While looking around with a flashlight, I also noticed a nick in my rear view mirror. It's become comical at this point...

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've been going to Courtesy Volvo in Scottsdale for 4 years and never had more than a minor problem. That all changed recently when I took my XC90 in for a software update, battery check, and a check of the sunroof for a grinding noise. Over the next 2 ½ months, my vehicle was in the shop 4 times after they scraped the hell out of my roof replacing the sunroof tray (and lied about the damage), neglected to reinstall an interior body panel, left a piece of rubber gasket pinched in the sunroof, causing wind noise and leaks, told me the battery was OK (only to have the battery warning show up on my dash three days later), and pretty much ignored most of my attempts at communication. They did eventually fix the battery, reinstalled the panel, adjusted the sunroof, and repainted the roof. However, they put me through hell for over 2 months. I requested a complimentary 40K service for the trouble. I thought they would jump on this opportunity to put this mess behind us, retain me as a customer, and welcome me back for a much better experience in the near future. Their response was that all they were prepared to offer is a free oil change. Ridiculous...

I hate complaining to the ownership and the Volvo executive team, but my hand is being forced as neither the service manager nor the general manager seem interested in making this up to me nor keeping me as a customer. I'll be taking some time this weekend to draft letters in the hopes that someone at a higher level shows the proper concern. Going forward, I'm hoping someone in the Phoenix area has good service department to recommend so I can take my business elsewhere going forward. If you have a recommendation on the best contacts at Volvo or elsewhere to report this expereince, I would appreciate that too.

Thanks so much.
Here's one more vote for Volvo in Tucson.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's one more vote for Volvo in Tucson.
Unfortunately, Tucson isn't really in the Phoenix area. Courtesy Volvo and Arrowhead Volvo are about 12 miles away from me and Volvo of Gilbert is about 25 miles away.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Unfortunately, Tucson isn't really in the Phoenix area. Courtesy Volvo and Arrowhead Volvo are about 12 miles away from me and Volvo of Gilbert is about 25 miles away.
My nearest Volvo dealer is 80 miles away - so 25 miles is reasonably short at the right time of day. IMO.

Having driven a lot in Phoenix over the years, a short drive to Volvo of Gilbert is well worth it. I have dealt with them and was introduced to the management team by a Chandler resident and customer. It is an excellent operation.

(Although I have had zero experience with the other two, the previous experiences, threads and posts from Phoenix locals would have me drive right past Courtesy Volvo without hesitation.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m trying Arrowhead today since Gilbert is twice as far. I actually purchased my car from Gilbert (when they were in Tempe). I used their service dept a few times and wasn’t that impressed. However, that was 4 years ago and I’m sure everything is different by now.
Thanks for everyone’s input. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m trying Arrowhead today since Gilbert is twice as far. I actually purchased my car from Gilbert (when they were in Tempe). I used their service dept a few times and wasn’t that impressed. However, that was 4 years ago and I’m sure everything is different by now.
Thanks for everyone’s input. I really appreciate it!
Live in Camp Verde, with no local Volvo dealerships around us, Arrowhead is the closest. Still 80 miles away though. Had the car towed to Arrowhead a few weeks ago via Volvo's roadside assistance because the air suspension stopped working. I suspected the compressor was going out, but all they did was replace the fuse, I knew this wouldn't be the end of it and made that feeling known. Generally, fuses don't blow for nothing. We even offered to let them keep the car and drive it around for a few days but they declined. Sure enough, fuse went out again a day after we picked it up!

Called the dealership and let them know we were not satisfied with them sending us off knowing the fuse would more than likely blow again. They wanted us to again use roadside assistance to get the car towed. We strongly insisted they drive a loaner car to us and deal with getting our car down to them as this really was on them.
After stating they couldn't/wouldn't do that and our conversation ending, they literally called back within seconds and stated they were sending a technician up with a loaner car and would drive our car back.

I wish they'd of offered that up on their own and with less of a fight, but they did come around.

In the past, we've had the AC repaired, brakes changed out, and the headlights replaced all under warranty. For the most part, they've done a good job, and getting a loaner was easy.

After my experience with our XC90 though, I'm not sure another Volvo is in our future. Never had a car in the shop so much.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Live in Camp Verde, with no local Volvo dealerships around us, Arrowhead is the closest. Still 80 miles away though. Had the car towed to Arrowhead a few weeks ago via Volvo's roadside assistance because the air suspension stopped working. I suspected the compressor was going out, but all they did was replace the fuse, I knew this wouldn't be the end of it and made that feeling known. Generally, fuses don't blow for nothing. We even offered to let them keep the car and drive it around for a few days but they declined. Sure enough, fuse went out again a day after we picked it up!

Called the dealership and let them know we were not satisfied with them sending us off knowing the fuse would more than likely blow again. They wanted us to again use roadside assistance to get the car towed. We strongly insisted they drive a loaner car to us and deal with getting our car down to them as this really was on them.
After stating they couldn't/wouldn't do that and our conversation ending, they literally called back within seconds and stated they were sending a technician up with a loaner car and would drive our car back.

I wish they'd of offered that up on their own and with less of a fight, but they did come around.

In the past, we've had the AC repaired, brakes changed out, and the headlights replaced all under warranty. For the most part, they've done a good job, and getting a loaner was easy.

After my experience with our XC90 though, I'm not sure another Volvo is in our future. Never had a car in the shop so much.
Same thing happened to me three years ago, but a fuse DID fix the problem. I too have been skeptical and waiting for the compressor to go out, but it hasn't happened yet. I share your reticence about buying another Volvo. Mine has been in the shop way more than any other vehicle I've owned.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Same thing happened to me three years ago, but a fuse DID fix the problem. I too have been skeptical and waiting for the compressor to go out, but it hasn't happened yet. I share your reticence about buying another Volvo. Mine has been in the shop way more than any other vehicle I've owned.
There is a TJ to replace the air suspension compressor and extended factory warranty for certain model years, models, chassis and model+SN for the compressor.

My fuse blew and the dealer promptly replaced the compressor although it took a few days for parts to get it in.

If the compressor was/is expected to be defective based on the TJ criteria, I would have been disappointed and upset. A call to Volvo Customer Care might be worthwhile … FWIW.

I carry replacement fuses with me for the suspension compressor as they seem to be a specialty 40A fuse. Riding on the bottom is not recommended. I never thought about a tow since the replacement fuse got me to the dealer without it blowing. Lucky maybe.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the repair that Courtesy Volvo's collision center did to the roof (to fix the paint damage they caused when installing the sunroof tray) was just as bad as the other work they did. It's been less than a month and the paint is already cracking and peeling on the roof. Photos attached.

I don't even know what to do at this point. How many times am I supposed to let them "fix" things only to end up with more damage than there was before!?
Vehicle Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Window
Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Rectangle Tints and shades Font Electric blue Vehicle door
Tire Handwriting Automotive tire Window Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Well, the repair that Courtesy Volvo's collision center did to the roof (to fix the paint damage they caused when installing the sunroof tray) was just as bad as the other work they did. It's been less than a month and the paint is already cracking and peeling on the roof. Photos attached.

I don't even know what to do at this point. How many times am I supposed to let them "fix" things only to end up with more damage than there was before!?
View attachment 136417 View attachment 136418 View attachment 136419 View attachment 136420
Holy s**t! Yeah I'd be escalating that to Volvo customer care immediately. Your car cannot have that form of paint damage from the elements alone, even in our Phoenix sun/heat.

After the same dealer incorrectly reinstalled my rear fenders and the rear bumper, and the bumper sustaining clear coat damage beyond the clear bra, I was at a cross roads of what to do. It was not nearly as bad as what you're showing. After my closed door meeting with the service manager, I called it quits. I didn't want them to fix one thing and create another problem.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Holy s**t! Yeah I'd be escalating that to Volvo customer care immediately. Your car cannot have that form of paint damage from the elements alone, even in our Phoenix sun/heat.

After the same dealer incorrectly reinstalled my rear fenders and the rear bumper, and the bumper sustaining clear coat damage beyond the clear bra, I was at a cross roads of what to do. It was not nearly as bad as what you're showing. After my closed door meeting with the service manager, I called it quits. I didn't want them to fix one thing and create another problem.

The roof was "repaired" only a month ago, so there's no other explanation other than a crappy job.

I know you stated that you called it quits with the service manager there. Does that mean you just let them off the hook for the damage they caused? How do I escalate to Volvo customer care? Will they even intervene when it's pretty clear where the blame lies?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
The roof was "repaired" only a month ago, so there's no other explanation other than a crappy job.

I know you stated that you called it quits with the service manager there. Does that mean you just let them off the hook for the damage they caused? How do I escalate to Volvo customer care? Will they even intervene when it's pretty clear where the blame lies?
Yeah, my minimal damage wasn't worth them fixing one thing but making another problem. I made it very clear I won't go back there under any circumstances.

I'd Google Volvo Customer Care and call them to open up a case. Have all your documents ready. In the event you're looking for Courtesy to correct the problems created, they will look into everything and facilitate a remedy if an issue(s) was determined to be from the dealer. For our 2017 T6 engine issue, opening a case with them caused 3+ weeks of silence turn into an immediate series of remedies.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, my minimal damage wasn't worth them fixing one thing but making another problem. I made it very clear I won't go back there under any circumstances.

I'd Google Volvo Customer Care and call them to open up a case. Have all your documents ready. In the event you're looking for Courtesy to correct the problems created, they will look into everything and facilitate a remedy if an issue(s) was determined to be from the dealer. For our 2017 T6 engine issue, opening a case with them caused 3+ weeks of silence turn into an immediate series of remedies.

I certainly can't afford to pay for removal/replacement of the moonroof (again), repainting the roof (again), and replacement of the other damaged parts on my own, so I'm at their mercy yet again. They have asked for one more opportunity to make things right and I have begrudgingly accepted. I have looped in Volvo's executive contacts and the dealership's owner in case I need to follow up again. I'm really nervous that my vehicle is going to be returned to me with something else wrong though. I hate this...

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a TJ to replace the air suspension compressor and extended factory warranty for certain model years, models, chassis and model+SN for the compressor.

My fuse blew and the dealer promptly replaced the compressor although it took a few days for parts to get it in.

If the compressor was/is expected to be defective based on the TJ criteria, I would have been disappointed and upset. A call to Volvo Customer Care might be worthwhile … FWIW.

I carry replacement fuses with me for the suspension compressor as they seem to be a specialty 40A fuse. Riding on the bottom is not recommended. I never thought about a tow since the replacement fuse got me to the dealer without it blowing. Lucky maybe.

Getting a spare fuse is a good idea. Did work for a day with new fuse before popping again. Also received notice about extended warranty regarding compressor. Ultimately, they did the right thing, but it took some convincing. :cautious: Have a source for the fuse?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Getting a spare fuse is a good idea. Did work for a day with new fuse before popping again. Also received notice about extended warranty regarding compressor. Ultimately, they did the right thing, but it took some convincing. :cautious: Have a source for the fuse?
I got the letter too. However, the dealer won't do anything unless the message pops up on the dash, right? The dealer replaced my fuse a few years ago and I haven't had the problem since. However, I'm always a little worried it will happen again on a cold morning.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts