SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These AWD cars are FWD till more traction is needed and thoes who've had time in RWD cars know they aren't as good handling.

Question, can/has the Haldex ever been reprogramed to act as a RWD till traction is needed, as MBenz has done, and would the added constant stress kil; the rear drive?

I could like that.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Re: Reprograming Haldex as well as ECU? (rdiedrich)

I'm no mechanic, but I dont think the the rear driveshaft/axle could handle a rear drive biased awd system, since the cars are naturally FWD. The front driveshalf is much stronger than the rear, the rear is only meant to accomodate 50% of torque at a given time. I believe there was a discussion on this before. In my opinion, I think Volvo should do a 50/50 torque distibution like Subaru...

·
Registered
327 Posts

It would be interesting to see how it is programmed. I have to admit that even if it is FWD biased, it does NOT drive like any FWD car I've ever driven before! It feels so much more balanced and I've never been able to spin the tires either!
I got a chirp once or twice on very hard launches when I was trying to see how the traction system works. Instead it just goes! Also tried to upset it in the rain but it held traction there too. So I don't know, if it always applies traction when needed then there should be no point in reprogramming it right? I mean whether front or rear drive there is little difference if the tires never spin....
Unless you WANT to spin the rears, as in drifting or something.

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts

Quote, originally posted by rdiedrich »
reprogramed to act as a RWD till traction is needed, as MBenz has done

Short answer is no.

Long answer is readily available through search on R forum, and this one.

Tom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts