SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I've built a standalone sound system in my car with a stereo in the glovebox. This works fine but I'd rather have it in the center console.

My goal is to move the OEM infodisplay to the roof console since I dont have a sunroof.

Does anyone know which of the cables on the back of the display that I would have to extend for the display to have power and show the AC-info?

Anyone have experience of this mod?

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Hi!

I've built a standalone sound system in my car with a stereo in the glovebox. This works fine but I'd rather have it in the center console.

My goal is to move the OEM infodisplay to the roof console since I dont have a sunroof.

Does anyone know which of the cables on the back of the display that I would have to extend for the display to have power and show the AC-info?

Anyone have experience of this mod?
Well, that is certainly one way to put an aftermarket system in the car! By pass everything and run power/antenna and directly connect to the speaker wires. Smart thinking.

You'll have too move some copper wires (not hard) and splice in some extensions and you'll either have to get a MOST extension or get an optical splice kit. Doable.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Here are some examples of what others on the forum have done.
ATTACH=CONFIG]50325[/ATTACH] Vehicle audio Center console Photograph Steering part White Green Blue Electronic device Technology Display device

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, that is certainly one way to put an aftermarket system in the car! By pass everything and run power/antenna and directly connect to the speaker wires. Smart thinking.

You'll have too move some copper wires (not hard) and splice in some extensions and you'll either have to get a MOST extension or get an optical splice kit. Doable.
The optical wires are all bypassed and I seem to be able to control the AC without them plugged in. Althiugh I can not control the sound on the original Volvo buttons. But that's a minor setback imo.
All I need is to extend the length of the weird 10-pin Iso cable.

https://ibb.co/QF6qNZv

https://ibb.co/bPnKg0f

Here are some examples of what others on the forum have done.
ATTACH=CONFIG]50325[/ATTACH] View attachment 50327 View attachment 50329
Yeah that last one is the thing I'm going for. 🙂

·
Registered
765 Posts
The optical wires are all bypassed and I seem to be able to control the AC without them plugged in. Althiugh I can not control the sound on the original Volvo buttons. But that's a minor setback imo.
All I need is to extend the length of the weird 10-pin Iso cable.

https://ibb.co/QF6qNZv

https://ibb.co/bPnKg0f

Yeah that last one is the thing I'm going for. 🙂
Say what, you bypassed the optical wire?? I need to move my display somewhere as well but haven't looked into it much. That overhead spot seems cool. But it didn't look like there was much room up there to work with.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Say what, you bypassed the optical wire?? I need to move my display somewhere as well but haven't looked into it much. That overhead spot seems cool. But it didn't look like there was much room up there to work with.
Yeah, so what I've done is that I have all the speaker cables (non optic) run back to the boot/trunk to an amplifier and then I have the stereo in my glovebox. I can't go in to more detail since they where already there when I bought the car. It works alright but it's not perfect. It's not nice if u have a front seat passenger and need to adjust something music-wise .

Another reason to move the original display is to modify the center console to fit a 7" touch display instead to control the audio and maybe even a rear camera.

I can't seem to find the cables i need to make an extension so I guess I will have to cut the original one and just make it longer.

Afaik there should be enough room up there if you dont have a sunroof.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
For the Bluepower BLP-990 install, they actually remove the display from the ICM and connect the ribbon cable to their display unit. You could leave the ICM in place, and relocate the display by extending onto the ribbon cable. That way you only need room for the display instead of the entire ICM, though the wiring would be a little more complicated.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yeah, so what I've done is that I have all the speaker cables (non optic) run back to the boot/trunk to an amplifier and then I have the stereo in my glovebox. I can't go in to more detail since they where already there when I bought the car. It works alright but it's not perfect. It's not nice if u have a front seat passenger and need to adjust something music-wise .

Another reason to move the original display is to modify the center console to fit a 7" touch display instead to control the audio and maybe even a rear camera.

I can't seem to find the cables i need to make an extension so I guess I will have to cut the original one and just make it longer.

Afaik there should be enough room up there if you dont have a sunroof.
I see.

I just took the wires from the CD player and connected them to a Sony unit. Still have to mount the unit for the ac

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone have the part number or proper name of the center speaker nav system? I'm toying with an idea on retrofitting a Pi screen in place of the nav console to act as a media unit/mirror screen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts