SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'99 S70 GLT - 149,000mi

Timing belt and water pump were replaced at 100k by the PO. The pump just started leaking with only 49k on it. Probably a junk pump.

I would love to pop the water pump out today and swap a new one in without replacing anything else until 175k. (School starts Monday, I NEED the car and don't have time to source parts or do the work after just putting a new transmission in)

The cams are marked to the block and the crank is at TDC. The belt is marked to the cams too. I rotated the engine clockwise so the VVT pulley is at it's "stop." When I remove the belt and the VVT pulley snaps counter-clockwise, I should be able to spin it right back to where it should be.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be possible to do this without locking the cams from the transmission side of the motor since everything is marked and I'm not replacing the belt.

...Am I wrong?

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's possible but the cam lock makes it much easier.

You can't necessarily rotate it back to where it should be since that's pushing on the valves so it's tensioned.

Once you get it back together and aligned, rotate the crank 3-5 times around by hand and ensure that upon each rotation, the marks still line up. If they do after 5, you should be good.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fingers crossed! Actually got very lucky because the engine has been sitting for two weeks... I removed the belt and the cams didn't turn AT ALL. I'm taking care to avoid touching them, I never thought this would happen in a million years.

I read last night that the iPd cam lock tool is not for the 99s, but nobody had an answer why. If it fits on the pulleys, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Rotating it 5 times will be the test.

·
Registered
305 Posts
what i did was zip tie the pulleys together puting the zip ties in a crisscross fashion like X and one straight across like - no way they were gonna move on me!

Sent from my rooted, rommed Galaxy Nexus....

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good idea! I would have done that if I saw this. Would have been the safest way for sure without having to buy a lock tool.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
VADIS says to rotate the motor 1/4 turn past TDC and then back to TDC to unload the cam. I did it on 3 different cars that way and never had a problem with pulleys moving, never used a cam tool. The whole cam tool thing is overblown.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts